Close

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No

active hybrid 7 tuning?

Curious to know if there is any news on any tuning abilities on the active hybrid 7? Seems like the car is more complicated than its worth to figure out how to tune it safely but im hoping I can at least remove the governor. Anyone know who I could contact to find out more or any options that may be available?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2056 Post(s)

Very interesting topic as you are the first person to ask about tuning the hybrid. I'm sure someone will chime in with you should not have gotten the hybrid but let's see if you can find you a solution.

I would recommend at this time contacting OE Tuning to see if they can do anything with this car. Where are you located?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)

Interesting indeed but there is one problem here. I was searching for a tune for 760i but something prevented me and that was the 8 speed transmission. it's limited to handle only 750 N.M (550lb-ft), more than that according to ZF isn't healthy for the transmission.

with a mild tune the 360 lb-ft torque of the N63 ( it's tuned to make less torque ) will jump over 400 lb-ft and combined you will get 555 lb-ft which is more than transmission's limitation. of course you can build the transmission but having a built transmission in a 7 isn't something nice.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2056 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sorena Click here to enlarge
    Interesting indeed but there is one problem here. I was searching for a tune for 760i but something prevented me and that was the 8 speed transmission. it's limited to handle only 750 N.M (550lb-ft), more than that according to ZF isn't healthy for the transmission.

with a mild tune the 360 lb-ft torque of the N63 ( it's tuned to make less torque ) will jump over 400 lb-ft and combined you will get 555 lb-ft which is more than transmission's limitation. of course you can build the transmission but having a built transmission in a 7 isn't something nice.
    A little bit more should not be too bad for it.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    Very interesting topic as you are the first person to ask about tuning the hybrid. I'm sure someone will chime in with you should not have gotten the hybrid but let's see if you can find you a solution.

I would recommend at this time contacting OE Tuning to see if they can do anything with this car. Where are you located?
    I went in initially to get a 750 m sport as the hybrid costed more than I wanted to spend but the dealer had it sitting on their lot for too long so they cut me a deal far better than a 750 so I couldnt pass up, but now in hindsight, I wasnt really expecting to want to add a tune to it or remove the limiter. Im in Cincinnati OH and theres only 2 of them running around here according to my dealership so I am not holding my breath on tuners to be jumping on figuring this car out anytime soon. I would like to be able to just remove the limiter though as I read the motor trend article about the Panamera Hybrid being the fastest hybrid sedan in the world and it made me a little upset Click here to enlarge

I emailed oe tuning, hopefully they can give me some insight on any possibilities.

Any more info on where you read the limitations of the 8 speed? I think my dealer told me they were going to release the 8 speed on a few more other cars as well but I forgot which ones. I am confused on why they would put a weaker trans on the 760 than on the 750... something seems off?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2056 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by epr73 Click here to enlarge
    I went in initially to get a 750 m sport as the hybrid costed more than I wanted to spend but the dealer had it sitting on their lot for too long so they cut me a deal far better than a 750 so I couldnt pass up, but now in hindsight, I wasnt really expecting to want to add a tune to it or remove the limiter. Im in Cincinnati OH and theres only 2 of them running around here according to my dealership so I am not holding my breath on tuners to be jumping on figuring this car out anytime soon. I would like to be able to just remove the limiter though as I read the motor trend article about the Panamera Hybrid being the fastest hybrid sedan in the world and it made me a little upset

I emailed oe tuning, hopefully they can give me some insight on any possibilities.
    I see. The limiter shouldn't be a problem. It's the more power that will be somewhat troublesome but we'll see what happens. I'm optimistic you will get a nice increase.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I actually emailed ess tuning about it and they said its not high on their priority list and they will probably start working on tuning it next year... I am hoping oe comes back with something a little more positive.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2056 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by epr73 Click here to enlarge
    I actually emailed ess tuning about it and they said its not high on their priority list and they will probably start working on tuning it next year... I am hoping oe comes back with something a little more positive.
    OE Tuning has more custom flexibility specifically for something like this.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    A little bit more should not be too bad for it.
    It isn't that bad but it's a 7-series.

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by epr73
    Any more info on where you read the limitations of the 8 speed? I think my dealer told me they were going to release the 8 speed on a few more other cars as well but I forgot which ones. I am confused on why they would put a weaker trans on the 760 than on the 750... something seems off?
    It isn't weaker than the 6-speed in 750i, it's basically the same 6-speed with two more gears.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Just as an FYI I contacted ZF a few months ago in regards to the 8 speed in my 550i as I am planning a significant power increase and was looking for upgrade options in case it failed. I was told that due to it's modular design it could be easily upgraded. However he said that it has been tested at up to 750ft-lbs for use in the RR ghost and it worked flawlessly. He told me that although they have variants that are rated at different torque levels that was strictly for warranty purposes. Ie the variant in my 550i is rated at 450ft-lbs while the one in the ghost is rated at 738ft-lbs but they are the same. They just don't want someone(like what I'm doing) to push my 550i to 700ft-lbs and if it fails say it should be covered because it holds that in another car. It was his opinion that unless I was going to dramatically increase torque and launch it very often that it should hold quite a bit of power.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)

IDK man. I'm looking to find their e-mail. what they said is basically the all 8-speed transmissions are limited too 700 N.M, but the 8-speed in 760i and active 7 and perhaps Alpina B5 (not sure) are the upgraded version and can hold an extra 50 N.M

I'm going to send an e-mail to them again.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2056 Post(s)

IDK man. I'm looking to find their e-mail. what they said is basically the all 8-speed transmissions are limited too 700 N.M, but the 8-speed in 760i and active 7 and perhaps Alpina B5 (not sure) are the upgraded version and can hold an extra 50 N.M

Do it, let's get clarification on this.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Look up mansory's RR Ghost tune. They are putting over 1,000NM through the 8 speed with no problems and that car weighs a good bit more which puts even more strain on the trans. I recall seeing someone tune one of those further and put down almost 800ft-lbs to the wheels but I can't look for it now. Still the mansory one proves what these can hold.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Now that I think of it the Dinan tuned 550i's are also making over that 700NM. 573ft-lbs is almost 800NM and they seem to be holding up.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Jimefam Click here to enlarge
    Now that I think of it the Dinan tuned 550i's are also making over that 700NM. 573ft-lbs is almost 800NM and they seem to be holding up.
    that car is probably a freight train after 100mph.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Jimefam Click here to enlarge
    holding up and being healthy are 2 different things. sure they will hold up, but how long they do?Sent the e-mail.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

The RR Ghost package with 50% more torque than what you are saying has been out for at least a year. Not trying to argue but I'm just saying we are seeing them outperform those figures your stating. Of course if you email them they aren't going to send you an official email saying a higher amount than official figures. I called Germany and I think you'd get more info that way. It's like engines, no car manufacturer will say that their engines can hold more than the stock amount officially yet many motors run twice stock levels with no problems.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)

Maybe they built the trans? In your mind why we don't see upgraded 760's? or modified Ghosts except that Mansory?
    there must be something that prevents tuners, my money is on the trans.

Still waiting for ZF response.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)

The transmission in the BMW 5-series is a 8HP70 and that one in the 7-series is a 8HP90.Attached you can find the datasheets of that two transmissions. in these datasheets you will find the
    necessary information about the max. torque.
    No, it is not easy to upgrade these transmissions, because they are especially applicated for these cars
    with this engine.

Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)

In case you didn't notice what this post above means, it means i talked crap and the guy with 7 Active Hybrid can tune his car to death and the transmission will handle it like a champ.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

If you are still interested in tuning your Activehybrid 7, I have some information on a piggy back tune that I used from a company in Germany called RaceChip.

I'm not trying to push this product onto you, but I can speak from experience.

I ordered the Ultimate version and it comes preset to setting #6 , but I turned it down to #5 . On my 2011 Activehybrid 7L, it was already a strong performer. But now it is just a monster. I had some concerns with taking the settings all the way up to #7 , because I don't think that the more aggressive tune is needed. Currently from a standing start, hit the gas and traction control kicks in on 1,2,3, & 4 gears. I think that it is due to all the toque that the motor puts out with the electric motor. I live in Maryland and I'm currently looking for a shop with a dyno so I can get the facts on true wheel hp & tq. Right now I'm guessing right at 500hp and somewhere around 650tq total.