Close

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 26 to 39 of 39
  1. #26
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    117,681
    Rep Points
    31,507.9
    Mentioned
    2062 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    316


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by DBFIU Click here to enlarge
    Nice swap!

    What does the TU mean in M50TU?
    Technological update. There is more than one M50 TU although they are updates to previous M50's and basically the same except for displacement differences.

  2. #27
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    4,608
    Rep Points
    3,236.6
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    33


    Reputation: Yes | No
    What are the key differences between the TU and non TU besides displacement? Is it 3.2 liters?
    Some people live long, meaningful lives.

    Other people eat shit and die.

    I'm not racist, I hate everybody equally; especially fat people.


    Click here to enlarge

  3. #28
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    885
    Rep Points
    8.0
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    0



    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    Technological update. There is more than one M50 TU although they are updates to previous M50's and basically the same except for displacement differences.
    Sort of see below

    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by DBFIU Click here to enlarge
    What are the key differences between the TU and non TU besides displacement? Is it 3.2 liters?
    Displacement between an M50 and M50TU is the same. The technical update is in the head - the M50 (no TU, is called Non-VANOS). The M50 Non-VANOS was 2.5L 24 valves but had 240/240 cams, dual valve springs, and valves with 7mm valve stems. These were available after the M20 SOHC motors but before the M50TU, so really only for late 1991 and late 1992 cars. When the M50TU came out in I think 9/92 production models, it offered the variable intake cam position (VANOS), single valve springs, and valves with 6mm valve stems. The reason the valve spring changed is not because the engines were meant to rev higher in 1991 - 1992, but because their valvetrain was higher. The 7mm stems are not for "strength" but used because that's what BMW had been producing. I used to have myself convinced that 7mm stems = strength and dual springs = higher valvetrain speed... but really the dual springs were to cope with the heavier valves. The M50TU also had "milder" cams - 228/240 I believe. But, the milder cam was actually better because the VANOS would make the intake cam more ideal once conditions were met to activate it.

    There are no other engines than M50 and M50TU that share the "m50" base name. Sure, the M52 is based on the M50, but so is every engine.

    The M52, M52TU, S52, S54, etc all have different setups. Closest in relation is the M52 but the M52 had OBD2 stuff going on and different cam shafts, and a longer stroke crank. 2.8L vs 2.5L in the M52 vs M50TU, but the cams were different was almost everything else. Granted, its similar, but not the same.


  4. #29
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    4,608
    Rep Points
    3,236.6
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    33


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by 5mall5nail5 Click here to enlarge
    Sort of see below



    Displacement between an M50 and M50TU is the same. The technical update is in the head - the M50 (no TU, is called Non-VANOS). The M50 Non-VANOS was 2.5L 24 valves but had 240/240 cams, dual valve springs, and valves with 7mm valve stems. These were available after the M20 SOHC motors but before the M50TU, so really only for late 1991 and late 1992 cars. When the M50TU came out in I think 9/92 production models, it offered the variable intake cam position (VANOS), single valve springs, and valves with 6mm valve stems. The reason the valve spring changed is not because the engines were meant to rev higher in 1991 - 1992, but because their valvetrain was higher. The 7mm stems are not for "strength" but used because that's what BMW had been producing. I used to have myself convinced that 7mm stems = strength and dual springs = higher valvetrain speed... but really the dual springs were to cope with the heavier valves. The M50TU also had "milder" cams - 228/240 I believe. But, the milder cam was actually better because the VANOS would make the intake cam more ideal once conditions were met to activate it.

    There are no other engines than M50 and M50TU that share the "m50" base name. Sure, the M52 is based on the M50, but so is every engine.

    The M52, M52TU, S52, S54, etc all have different setups. Closest in relation is the M52 but the M52 had OBD2 stuff going on and different cam shafts, and a longer stroke crank. 2.8L vs 2.5L in the M52 vs M50TU, but the cams were different was almost everything else. Granted, its similar, but not the same.
    awesome thanks for the info...

    so what would you say would be the ideal I6 E30 budget swap?

    Say I got my hands on a nice E30 chassis, what would be a good platform for just a nice clean I6 swap with no boost? M54 3.0L I think?
    Some people live long, meaningful lives.

    Other people eat shit and die.

    I'm not racist, I hate everybody equally; especially fat people.


    Click here to enlarge

  5. #30
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    117,681
    Rep Points
    31,507.9
    Mentioned
    2062 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    316


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by 5mall5nail5 Click here to enlarge
    Sort of see below



    Displacement between an M50 and M50TU is the same. The technical update is in the head - the M50 (no TU, is called Non-VANOS). The M50 Non-VANOS was 2.5L 24 valves but had 240/240 cams, dual valve springs, and valves with 7mm valve stems. These were available after the M20 SOHC motors but before the M50TU, so really only for late 1991 and late 1992 cars. When the M50TU came out in I think 9/92 production models, it offered the variable intake cam position (VANOS), single valve springs, and valves with 6mm valve stems. The reason the valve spring changed is not because the engines were meant to rev higher in 1991 - 1992, but because their valvetrain was higher. The 7mm stems are not for "strength" but used because that's what BMW had been producing. I used to have myself convinced that 7mm stems = strength and dual springs = higher valvetrain speed... but really the dual springs were to cope with the heavier valves. The M50TU also had "milder" cams - 228/240 I believe. But, the milder cam was actually better because the VANOS would make the intake cam more ideal once conditions were met to activate it.

    There are no other engines than M50 and M50TU that share the "m50" base name. Sure, the M52 is based on the M50, but so is every engine.

    The M52, M52TU, S52, S54, etc all have different setups. Closest in relation is the M52 but the M52 had OBD2 stuff going on and different cam shafts, and a longer stroke crank. 2.8L vs 2.5L in the M52 vs M50TU, but the cams were different was almost everything else. Granted, its similar, but not the same.
    You didn't mention the M50TUB20 or M50TUB25.

  6. #31
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    885
    Rep Points
    8.0
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    0



    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by DBFIU Click here to enlarge
    awesome thanks for the info...

    so what would you say would be the ideal I6 E30 budget swap?

    Say I got my hands on a nice E30 chassis, what would be a good platform for just a nice clean I6 swap with no boost? M54 3.0L I think?
    I would definitely say that you're looking at the best options for a budget swap in this build. M50TU's can be picked up for cheap. I wouldn't mess with the M54B30 if you plan on keeping it NA. A lot of track guys have a hard time keeping them together - they don't like to rev very high. If you want to run it stock, sure. But then again, you will need to modify it up pretty good because the OBD2 ECU won't be happy in an E30 without the cluster and all that, so you would need to make trigger wheels to let an OBD1 (Bosch 3.3.1) DME run it - but you will lose function of the VANOS on the exhaust side. Not ideal - stick with M50TU, M52, S50, S52 motors.

    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    You didn't mention the M50TUB20 or M50TUB25.
    The US never got an M50TUB20 and the M50TUB25 is the M50TU as we only got it in a 2.5L variant.


  7. #32
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    117,681
    Rep Points
    31,507.9
    Mentioned
    2062 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    316


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by 5mall5nail5 Click here to enlarge
    The US never got an M50TUB20 and the M50TUB25 is the M50TU as we only got it in a 2.5L variant.
    Very true, but no harm in mentioning specifics just in case you were working with a motor sourced from overseas.

  8. #33
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Valley Stream NY
    Posts
    3,297
    Rep Points
    2,756.8
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    28


    Reputation: Yes | No
    John I have an M30B35 if you are interested, with the harness to make it a direct swap into an E28 if interested for another project....

    You are crazy with all these detailed builds...care to allot some time down the road to help me turbo the 5er?

  9. #34
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    885
    Rep Points
    8.0
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    0



    Reputation: Yes | No
    Sure I can assist - unfortunately I have too many projects right now to take on more lol. That, and I am not a huge SOHC motor fan Click here to enlarge But I can provide assistance anyway I can. I love E28 bodies - wouldn't mind owning one at some point!


  10. #35
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Valley Stream NY
    Posts
    3,297
    Rep Points
    2,756.8
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    28


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by 5mall5nail5 Click here to enlarge
    Sure I can assist - unfortunately I have too many projects right now to take on more lol. That, and I am not a huge SOHC motor fan Click here to enlarge But I can provide assistance anyway I can. I love E28 bodies - wouldn't mind owning one at some point!
    It will be a bit before I can start working on it anyway.

    There is someone running one an M30B34 in an E30...junkyard swap on either MS or a TCD chip, and a Holset turbo off a Cummins...he made 520whp and no end in sight Click here to enlarge

    I plan to go about in a little more organized way than him..

  11. #36
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    885
    Rep Points
    8.0
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    0



    Reputation: Yes | No
    I believe you're talking about Good & Tight (Otis).

    His setup is a bit backwoods yeah. You can make a bunch of power - its just a question of for how long. I believe he is also running E85. Junkyard motors are great for that.


  12. #37
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Valley Stream NY
    Posts
    3,297
    Rep Points
    2,756.8
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    28


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by 5mall5nail5 Click here to enlarge
    I believe you're talking about Good & Tight (Otis).

    His setup is a bit backwoods yeah. You can make a bunch of power - its just a question of for how long. I believe he is also running E85. Junkyard motors are great for that.
    I was planning on 93 octane as the pump nearest my house has E85....but from what my friends say is that it varies a bit quality wise and it's not the best grade available..


    I'll pm you with some ideas
    Last edited by Itsbrokeagain; 07-19-2011 at 05:37 PM.

  13. #38
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    885
    Rep Points
    8.0
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    0



    Reputation: Yes | No
    I would absolutely prefer E85 over 93 if you have it. Even if its only E75 it will support more power than 93 octane has to offer. You need to fit an ethanol content sensor to your EMS and then you can run E85 or 93 octane without issue.


  14. #39
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Valley Stream NY
    Posts
    3,297
    Rep Points
    2,756.8
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    28


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by 5mall5nail5 Click here to enlarge
    I would absolutely prefer E85 over 93 if you have it. Even if its only E75 it will support more power than 93 octane has to offer. You need to fit an ethanol content sensor to your EMS and then you can run E85 or 93 octane without issue.
    There is a Getty station that still sells it I believe..other than that I do not know where else there is a pump..

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •