Close

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sorena Click here to enlarge
    does the third turbo use exhaust gas to spool?
    Exactly! Read my post above, Sticky. The diagram you posted shows a twin turbo system with a third turbo driven by exhaust gases. The press is claiming the "turbo" is driven by electricity, not exhaust. It's not a turbo in that case.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by andrew20195 Click here to enlarge
    Exactly! Read my post above, Sticky. The diagram you posted shows a twin turbo system with a third turbo driven by exhaust gases. The press is claiming the "turbo" is driven by electricity, not exhaust. It's not a turbo in that case.
    Just speculation, but it could be a turbo that uses a motor to spool up at near idle RPM - giving the sensation of instant boost. It still could be considered a turbo (with an electric motor) yet still use the exhaust gas after an initial "small spool"?

Also - this 3rd turbo could help drive the other two turbos since the car will instantly start to create more torque/power - it would then also be creating more exhaust - helping drive the other two turbos...

Just a thought. Awesome if it works AND they can spin the engine to 8k. Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by inlineS54B32 Click here to enlarge
    Just speculation, but it could be a turbo that uses a motor to spool up at near idle RPM - giving the sensation of instant boost. It still could be considered a turbo (with an electric motor) yet still use the exhaust gas after an initial "small spool"?

Also - this 3rd turbo could help drive the other two turbos since the car will instantly start to create more torque/power - it would then also be creating more exhaust - helping drive the other two turbos...

Just a thought. Awesome if it works AND they can spin the engine to 8k. Click here to enlarge
    Funny thing, I was thinking about the possibility of an electric hybrid turbo right after I made the post. In any case, I assume the "electric turbo" could be used for instant low rpm boost, and could be bypassed at high rpm. This would allow the main turbos to be larger for greater high rpm boost without sacrificing low rpm spool up.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)

Awesome!!!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Well the question should be will this be a true M motor built in Munich?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

how come it looks like the compressed are from the first 2 turbos are blowing into the third to turn that compressor, then i guess it would continue into the IC, so i dont see how thats electric,also wouldnt you have some paracitic loss by having to use your compressed air(free power) to then turn this other turbine??

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2056 Post(s)

does the third turbo use exhaust gas to spool?
    We don't know, it could, it could also be 100% electric. Either way, no reason an impeller can't be spooled electrically without any mechanical connection to the motor (like with belts) as a super charger would require essentially being an electric turbo.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2056 Post(s)

Why not? What is it then?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2056 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by MSIZZLE Click here to enlarge
    how come it looks like the compressed are from the first 2 turbos are blowing into the third to turn that compressor, then i guess it would continue into the IC, so i dont see how thats electric,also wouldnt you have some paracitic loss by having to use your compressed air(free power) to then turn this other turbine??
    That is just a diagram of what it could look like, it has nothing to do with BMW's own design.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Eleventeen Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    Plus 1
    Click here to enlargeClick here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

also the 3.3liter displacement sounds like a V6 based on S63, if so you are screwed BMW.
    Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    Why not? What is it then?
    The word turbo is short for turbosupercharger, that is to say, a supercharger driven by a turbine. If there is no turbine, and it is driven purely by an electric motor, it cannot be considered a turbo. At that point, it is simply an electrical supercharger. It likely will use a centrifugal compressor, like a turbo, but so does every E9x M3 supercharger system. Nobody calls those turbos.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)

The third turbo could be a electric motor and the marketing guys are having a field day throwing terms around. Three turbo chargers is a big mechanical nightmare for the power they want to make unless we see a car with peak power from 3000-7500rpm. BMW's tactics are starting of little bits and pieces is getting to me now.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2056 Post(s)

The word turbo is short for turbosupercharger, that is to say, a supercharger driven by a turbine. If there is no turbine, and it is driven purely by an electric motor, it cannot be considered a turbo. At that point, it is simply an electrical supercharger. It likely will use a centrifugal compressor, like a turbo, but so does every E9x M3 supercharger system. Nobody calls those turbos.
    I don't think you can say it is just driven by electricity as we simply don't know if electricity is used to spool and then exhaust gas comes in later. It is premature to call it a supercharger especially when BMW themselves is calling it a turbo. Until further information comes in, we should go with what BMW has provided is which is information on a tri-turbo setup assisted by electricity. To what extent, we do not know.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    I've been doing a little research on this, and of course wikipedia came through for me. Due to the fact that BMW is calling it a turbo, I think it's pretty safe to assume that it will be a device like this:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hybrid_turbochargerBasically it is just a regular turbo that has been decoupled in the middle, with an electric generator on the turbine, and an electric motor on the compressor. At steady speeds, the turbine power output is matched to the compressor requirements, but when the driver depresses the throttle, stored energy (battery) is used to bring the turbo up to speed in less than 500ms, eliminating lag.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2056 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by metrik Click here to enlarge
    I've been doing a little research on this, and of course wikipedia came through for me. Due to the fact that BMW is calling it a turbo, I think it's pretty safe to assume that it will be a device like this:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hybrid_turbochargerBasically it is just a regular turbo that has been decoupled in the middle, with an electric generator on the turbine, and an electric motor on the compressor. At steady speeds, the turbine power output is matched to the compressor requirements, but when the driver depresses the throttle, stored energy (battery) is used to bring the turbo up to speed in less than 500ms, eliminating lag.
    That actually makes a lot of sense.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by metrik Click here to enlarge
    Bingo!

There is a company that has been developing this in the UK for a number of years. It is a functional system, but needs to be integrated into the engine management. That's where the OEMs come in...as current aftermarket ECUs (with the exception of the McLaren SCU system) are unable to integrate with it.

We will most likely see this in 2014 in F1 cars when they switch to the 1.6L turbo engines.
    Rep Points > Posts since 2010

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12