Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

E36 Suspension Options? Hello from Austin, Texas

Hello everyone, My name is T'erre & I drive a 1999 BMW 328ic . This is my first BMW, my first car was a charcoal granite metallic 1991 Acura Legend coupe that i owned for about 3 years (loved that car), i sold the it about a month ago. So two day's after the sell, which so to be my birthday, My parents bought and totally surprised me on my 20th birthday with the Bimmer i own now. I guess my parents took note on how much i talked about E36 BMWs . Kudos to them.Click here to enlarge

anyway. . . i've always wanted to own a European car and now i do. . . This is the first of many BMW's i will own in the future.

here's a little bit on the car.

1999 328ic with a 5spd manual. and she currently has 65,500 miles and completely stock. But i do have few plans, nothing flashy . my main concern is handling and power upgrades , so hopefully i can get some help on where to start here.

Click here to enlarge

so far, this car is a blast to drive.

später
    Last edited by Apex|000; 04-18-2010 at 01:43 PM.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2064 Post(s)

Welcome!

Nice to see E36's around here.

How aggressive are you looking to get with the handling and power upgrades? You can make a ton of power and the handling can be taken to very high levels as well. It just depends on your budget/goals.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Nothing to aggressive power wise, mid 200s to the wheels will be nice . although i'm really looking into having the car handle better (less body roll, lower ride height, firmer suspension) . something to make my spirited drives on the curvy back roads of Austin , a little more thrilling.

if that makes since at all. any suggestions will be great.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Hey Welcome! I'm down here in houston. Nice of you to join! Click here to enlarge

Looking forward to some nice runs to austin in the summer Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2064 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Apex|000 Click here to enlarge
    Nothing to aggressive power wise, mid 200s to the wheels will be nice . although i'm really looking into having the car handle better (less body roll, lower ride height, firmer suspension) . something to make my spirited drives on the curvy back roads of Austin , a little more thrilling.

if that makes since at all. any suggestions will be great.
    Mid 200's to the wheels and more will take forced induction or it will cost a bunch of money to do Naturally Aspirated.

There are many suspension options so I moved this to general BMW where some of the E36 guys may be able to help.

We may be adding an E36 section Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by DarkPhantom Click here to enlarge
    Hey Welcome! I'm down here in houston. Nice of you to join! Click here to enlarge

Looking forward to some nice runs to austin in the summer Click here to enlarge
    nice ! i have family over in Houston.

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    Mid 200's to the wheels and more will take forced induction or it will cost a bunch of money to do Naturally Aspirated.

There are many suspension options so I moved this to general BMW where some of the E36 guys may be able to help.

We may be adding an E36 section Click here to enlarge
    Yeah i had a feeling of that, well i'm looking to get the most out of the engine while keeping it N/A.

Awesome and thanks for the help, I really appreciate it. i'm in save mode until i start school, but then i'll have a couple grand to toss around for my car.

oh nice! an E36 section would be nice. Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2064 Post(s)

nice ! i have family over in Houston.

Yeah i had a feeling of that, well i'm looking to get the most out of the engine while keeping it N/A.

Awesome and thanks for the help, I really appreciate it. i'm in save mode until i start school, but then i'll have a couple grand to toss around for my car.

oh nice! an E36 section would be nice. Click here to enlarge
    Well, the E36 motors are covered pretty much but we have a small E36 group here.

Either way, we have a lot of BMW guys who can help you.

This exhaust is pretty nice: http://www.activeautowerke.com/viewp...x?id=Product31

A nice intake as well: http://www.activeautowerke.com/viewp...x?id=Product34

And if you get crazy, here is a supercharger that should put you over that 250 whp range: http://www.activeautowerke.com/viewp...x?id=Product20

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    Well, the E36 motors are covered pretty much but we have a small E36 group here.

Either way, we have a lot of BMW guys who can help you.

This exhaust is pretty nice: http://www.activeautowerke.com/viewp...x?id=Product31

A nice intake as well: http://www.activeautowerke.com/viewp...x?id=Product34

And if you get crazy, here is a supercharger that should put you over that 250 whp range: http://www.activeautowerke.com/viewp...x?id=Product20
    i'll check those links out right now.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Welcome to the community. You will find most people here are tired of the puffy-chested politicking of the usual boards and just want to talk about cars.

You could achieve your power goals with bolt-on parts eventually, but I would strongly recommend that you save the money you would spend on all those parts and just get an S5x swap or turbocharge your M52 (it LOVES boost!).

As someone who has been down the road of wasting money on bolt-on parts for minimal gains instead of just being patient for real power, trust me when I tell you it's the way to go. Patience truly is a virtue.

As for suspension, my buddy Mike owns the North American distributorship for D2 coilovers. They work great at a reasonable price.

http://www.d2racingsport.com/shock.htm

Email him and see if he can get some in the next container for you.

michael
    @
    urbanimport
    .com

Click here to enlarge
    Boost Is Better
    Click here to enlargeClick here to enlargeClick here to enlargeClick here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

OP 200whp can be had pretty easily, but you may want more down the line. The m52 is a great motor for FI. The best mods n/a would be a m50 intake manifold, and s52 cams. Cams can e had for as low as 350 bucks, and the intake manifold can be had for 50-100 bucks. Suspension on a vert can cost more then on a standard coupe or sedan. Learn to drive the car as it sits first. You are coming from a fwd car, and kicking the rear out is fun if you know what you are doing if not you can end up in a tree or a wall. Hit up some local auto-x's. Also you should look into getting a lsd from a e36 m3 since your car is running a open diff. Good Luck
    Click here to enlargeClick here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Turbology Click here to enlarge
    Welcome to the community. You will find most people here are tired of the puffy-chested politicking of the usual boards and just want to talk about cars.

You could achieve your power goals with bolt-on parts eventually, but I would strongly recommend that you save the money you would spend on all those parts and just get an S5x swap or turbocharge your M52 (it LOVES boost!).

As someone who has been down the road of wasting money on bolt-on parts for minimal gains instead of just being patient for real power, trust me when I tell you it's the way to go. Patience truly is a virtue.

As for suspension, my buddy Mike owns the North American distributorship for D2 coilovers. They work great at a reasonable price.

http://www.d2racingsport.com/shock.htm

Email him and see if he can get some in the next container for you.

michael
    @
    urbanimport
    .com

yeah you have a point . I'm going to focus on suspension for now, thanks for the link.

Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by GG///M3 Click here to enlarge
    OP 200whp can be had pretty easily, but you may want more down the line. The m52 is a great motor for FI. The best mods n/a would be a m50 intake manifold, and s52 cams. Cams can be had for as low as 350 bucks, and the intake manifold can be had for 50-100 bucks. Suspension on a vert can cost more then on a standard coupe or sedan. Learn to drive the car as it sits first. You are coming from a fwd car, and kicking the rear out is fun if you know what you are doing if not you can end up in a tree or a wall. Hit up some local auto-x's. Also you should look into getting a lsd from a e36 m3 since your car is running a open diff. Good Luck
    Thanks for the advice, i have added the M50 intake manifold , E36 M LSD and S52 cams to my list. Although i have come from an FWD car, I've had experience with RWD cars. on occasion i would drive my Uncle's C6 Corvette Z06. but i agree kicking the rear out is extremely fun.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

s50/52 swap would be a serious waste of money.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I plea da FiF

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

One two three fo' FiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiFFFFF!!!!!!!!
    Last edited by tron; 05-09-2010 at 06:25 PM.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

laughing so hard im crring

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by tron Click here to enlarge
    yeah i wasn't considering a swap, even if it was worth the money.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2064 Post(s)

yeah i wasn't considering a swap, even if it was worth the money.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

get some kw coilovers

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Why? Not being argumentative, just don't know as much about BMW motors as you do.
    Click here to enlarge
    Boost Is Better
    Click here to enlargeClick here to enlargeClick here to enlargeClick here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

What is the point? You can bore for the displacement if you really want it, or you can source a block if you are building a motor. And, since you implied he should boost it, the extra cylinder wall clearance will help more than extra displacement.

On top of that, if he is going to stay stock and throw bolt ons at the motor, he sees, what, an extra ~15-20whp from the displacement for all the labor, time, effort and money he just paid to swap the engine? That is one of the worst hp/money mods you could do.

And M52 is a S52 with 400cc's less displacement and cams will less lift and duration (don't quote me on that, I don't recall the specs, it might be one or the other and not both). There are really no differences in the engines. This is not like a s50b30/32 vs a s50/s52US.
    Last edited by tron; 05-10-2010 at 04:09 PM.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Great info, thanks for the detailed explanation, I appreciate your knowledge and time.
    Boost Is Better

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

the extra cylinder wall clearance will help more than extra displacement.
    The PA Warlock recently noted that the "meat 'twixt the cylinders" is hog wash.
    Then again, his skills to properly seal an S52 have been "HONED".

Click here to enlarge

Get it ?
    Honed
    Click here to enlarge
    milkt org

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Great info, thanks for the detailed explanation, I appreciate your knowledge and time.
    No problem bud.

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by milkt Click here to enlarge
    The PA Warlock recently noted that the "meat 'twixt the cylinders" is hog wash.
    Then again, his skills to properly seal an S52 have been "HONED".

Click here to enlarge

Get it ?
    Honed
    Rofl.

Yeah, I personally don't get the huge deal about the HG's anyway. Better to have the HG blow every 18 months than bend a rod or even throw one through the block. I mean, where would you prefer to have your weak point?

That being said, isn't it a lot easier to pyramid ring an 84 bore? I think you can make it all the way around each cylinder.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

And M52 is a S52 with 400cc's less displacement and cams will less lift and duration (don't quote me on that, I don't recall the specs, it might be one or the other and not both). There are really no differences in the engines. This is not like a s50b30/32 vs a s50/s52US.
    Oh I'm quoting you on it.
    Click here to enlarge

So actually the M52 is the better starting point for boost, especially since one would likely get some aftermarket cams for FI anyhow if they were doing a substantial build. Good to know!
    Click here to enlarge
    Boost Is Better

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Oh I'm quoting you on it.
    Click here to enlarge

So actually the M52 is the better starting point for boost, especially since one would likely get some aftermarket cams for FI anyhow if they were doing a substantial build. Good to know!
    Click here to enlarge
    It means it really doesn't matter all that much. 2.8 blocks are the rage these days. You can source s50/52 cams for 250 bucks or something, they aren't that expensive. Not that many people run aftermarket cams in these cars. They are expensive. You will find people running regrinds here and there.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast