Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2089 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

Home security, what measures do you take?

Just curious what you guys do for security. I'm considering picking up a video surveillance system after I saw the pics of that vandalized M5. Plus, just good to have in general.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    hire a couple hobos to sleep outside your house at night
    Some people live long, meaningful lives.

Other people eat shit and die.

I'm not racist, I hate everybody equally; especially fat people.

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    get a driveway motion sensor and a Ar-15.. Or a good ole 12 gauge assault shot gun. Plus a 120lb dobermen helps too.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I live in a condo., but if I had a house I would invest in a heavier front door (security door) and a video surveillance system with infared (night vision) capability. I'd then hook that up to its own DVR and computer so there would be plenty of recording space.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2089 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by 600whp S4 Click here to enlarge
    get a driveway motion sensor and a Ar-15.. Or a good ole 12 gauge assault shot gun. Plus a 120lb dobermen helps too.
    I like the Doberman and the driveway motion sensor ideas.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    The semi-auto 12gauge is very intimidating and quick to aim. Plus you can pick a variety of ammo. I'd stay with buckshot though if you live with people because I'd hate to see someone injured by accident from a slug, and they carry plenty of kinetic energy to bust through a door or wall. Plus with buck or birdshot you may even stop him without killing, and your aiming ability is a bit less important because of the spread.

Definitely get a good video/alarm system.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Really any dog will do. Most burglars do not want to $#@! with any dog. We have 2, a little 3 lb poodle and a standard poodle. No need to make fun of our selection of dogs because I have heard it all before. lol Poodles are very smart and do not shed. Hair everywhere would be a pain in the ass! Anyway, our 2 dogs make for a pretty good security system. The little one will hear someone breaking in 10 minutes before the perp gets to the house warning us of the intruder, yes, he is that yappy. The Standard poodle is actually a good size dog and has pretty deep bark, she is about 29 inches at the shoulders. Skinny, but the curly hair hides it a bit. But if you dont mind shedding and hair everywhere, I would go with a German Shepherd over a doberman. You can train the German Shepherd for obedience and protection and compete in Schutzhund events. I love em but the wife couldn't put up with the hair. That, and a 12 gauge.

So to summarize, German Shepherd and 12 gauge shot gun.

Edit: The only bad thing is that a German Shepherd capable of Schutzhund are usually very expensive dogs.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2089 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by SlicktopTTZ Click here to enlarge
    The semi-auto 12gauge is very intimidating and quick to aim. Plus you can pick a variety of ammo. I'd stay with buckshot though if you live with people because I'd hate to see someone injured by accident from a slug, and they carry plenty of kinetic energy to bust through a door or wall. Plus with buck or birdshot you may even stop him without killing, and your aiming ability is a bit less important because of the spread.

Definitely get a good video/alarm system.
    Shotgun is a good idea, was thinking of picking up a pistol though.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    Shotgun is a good idea, was thinking of picking up a pistol though.
    A shotgun is better for home defense you dont have to have as good aim to hit the guy. Plus, as someone else stated earlier, if you use buckshot you dont have to worry about it going through the walls and accidentally killing someone else. Take a look at the Mossberg 500 tactical.

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2089 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    ^ How much does something like that cost?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    my ruger does the job just fine.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)

^ How much does something like that cost?
    $460 MSRP but you might be able to find it for less. Here is the link to the Mossberg website. http://www.mossberg.com/products/def...&display=specs The ninth one down. The 500 Chainsaw looks badass too but I dont know what it would be used for.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Sticky, if you get a pistol PLEASE learn how to shoot it. It's useless in the wrong hands, no to mention dangerous. Really any firearm.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2089 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by SlicktopTTZ Click here to enlarge
    Sticky, if you get a pistol PLEASE learn how to shoot it. It's useless in the wrong hands, no to mention dangerous. Really any firearm.
    I'm going to the range either tomorrow or on Wednesday, I'll be practicing.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    This thread just reminded me that I have a Mossberg in my bedroom. I forgot all about it.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    You probably are sick of hearing people say it but, dont just go to the range, read up about basic handgun safety and technique... It can save you in the long run trust me.

AND LEARN HOW TO DISASSEMBLE YOUR GUN AND CLEAN IT
    Some people live long, meaningful lives.

Other people eat shit and die.

I'm not racist, I hate everybody equally; especially fat people.

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Which range you going to? Van nuys?
    Burger Motorsports
    Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, S55s, N63s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2089 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by fastgti69 Click here to enlarge
    Which range you going to? Van nuys?
    Brea.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I love my pistol as well, but to throw in my 2c for home defense a shotgun is the way to go. Just the charging of the weapon is universal code for GTFO or get messed up. That and as stated earlier even in the dark or other less than perfect conditions you'd be hard pressed to miss with some buck shot.

In terms of security you can use standard door alarms for your garage doors and if you want to go above and beyond have the company make sure all the connections are terminated inside your home. Anyone defeating any more than that and you're probably better off just staying asleep
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Well my all the doors here are unlocked, but i have Max Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2089 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sorena Click here to enlarge
    Well my all the doors here are unlocked, but i have Max Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge
    Doberman? Awesome, best dogs.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Yes.

just talk to me in a bad way, He will beat the $#@! out of you.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2089 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sorena Click here to enlarge
    Yes.

just talk to me in a bad way, He will beat the $#@! out of you.
    I bet, I do not mess with Dobermans. Tough as $#@! and smart as hell.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

There is an awful lot of bad information in here regarding shotguns. Most notably is the notion that you don't have to aim one. That is just plain false. While it is true that shotguns spread their ammo (buck shot or bird shot) out over distance, this is unlikely to occur within the spaces available inside a room in a home. It is important to take your shotgun to a range to see how it spreads the particular load you are going to use, and at what distances. A smooth barrel will not spread the rounds out like a rifled barrel.

Furthermore, never use bird shot for home defense. It is too light and does not penetrate adequately. You should stick with 00 buck. However, as with any weapon, know what is beyond your target. Any round sufficient to stop a person is going to go through an interior wall like a hot knife through butter.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2089 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by GetSomeE92 Click here to enlarge
    There is an awful lot of bad information in here regarding shotguns. Most notably is the notion that you don't have to aim one. That is just plain false. While it is true that shotguns spread their ammo (buck shot or bird shot) out over distance, this is unlikely to occur within the spaces available inside a room in a home. It is important to take your shotgun to a range to see how it spreads the particular load you are going to use, and at what distances. A smooth barrel will not spread the rounds out like a rifled barrel.

Furthermore, never use bird shot for home defense. It is too light and does not penetrate adequately. You should stick with 00 buck. However, as with any weapon, know what is beyond your target. Any round sufficient to stop a person is going to go through an interior wall like a hot knife through butter.
    I don't think anyone is saying you don't have to aim. not like you can point it behind you and it will take out whomever is in front you. The idea is the shotgun has spread so in a life or death moment if you aim is a bit off, it won't potentially cost you your life as it would with a pistol.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast