Close

Thread: .17 HMR Rifle

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

Question .17 HMR Rifle

Anyone know about this rifle? I heard it's a bad ass gun. Small caliber but it packs some punch. Thinking about getting one. Thanks.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    eh, depends on what you plan on shootin with it..

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by LostMarine Click here to enlarge
    eh, depends on what you plan on shootin with it..
    $#@!ing groundhogs! Will it do the job?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    i dunno, i dont shoot animals, but i think a .22 is good, so if a .17 packs a punch too, then i guess, but honestly i have no idea

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    i dunno, i dont shoot animals, but i think a .22 is good, so if a .17 packs a punch too, then i guess, but honestly i have no idea
    They are having $#@!load of babies close to our house. Do you think I should just call somoene to live trap them? I will admit I would feel bad killing them, i witnessed a neighbor killing a mole today with a BB gun and felt bad for it.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    i believe the 17 even outpowers the 22 LR which stands for long rifle. i have a pretty badass 308 myself, but thats way way overkill for what you're looking to do. a 17 should do the job and then some.
    Click here to enlarge
    2007 335i Coupe
    Mods: Check the Garage

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by oddjob2021 Click here to enlarge
    i believe the 17 even outpowers the 22 LR which stands for long rifle. i have a pretty badass 308 myself, but thats way way overkill for what you're looking to do. a 17 should do the job and then some.
    Yeah, thats what a friend of mine was saying(about the 17 out powering the 22 LR). He has a custom built AR15 which shoots .223 but he said he can convert it to .22 LR. I heard it has a tendency to jam though when converted, something about the clip.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    LR is long range

live trapping does good for people, they can probably make $ off it.

a .223 is the best bet, thats AR platforms and will definatly take them out.

now, .22 and .223 are different also, so dont get that confused

I think the problem you will have, is .22 is so cheap, .17 might be more expensive since its a more rare load, and both will do the job. When reviews talk about that kinda stuff, it doesnt really relate to average people. .22 rifle might shoot .25 MOA, and the .17 .20MOA, will you , or even i ever tell the difference? nope

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    LR is long range

live trapping does good for people, they can probably make $ off it.

now, .22 and .223 are different also, so dont get that confused

I think the problem you will have, is .22 is so cheap, .17 might be more expensive since its a more rare load, and both will do the job. When reviews talk about that kinda stuff, it doesnt really relate to average people. .22 rifle might shoot .25 MOA, and the .17 .20MOA, will you , or even i ever tell the difference? nope
    I'm not the one that originally mentioned it, but everywhere I have read mentions LR as Long Rifle, not Long Range.

I agree with you about the .22 LR being more common so cheaper. This is why a lot of people convert their AR to shoot .22 LR. Cheap target practice/plinkin...save the .223 for the zombies.!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    yea, after buying ammo yesterday, and told prices are going up again, i might have to do that. $200 for 500 .223 or 1000 rds of .22

LR could be Long rifle in civ terms i guess, just doesnt make sense to me as we have different terms for the loads, but rifle stays the same,and I know thats what our loads call it, ie M118 Match Grade, M118LR (Long Range), MK 316 MOD 0 SBLR (Special Ball, Long Range)

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    LR is long range
    being a soldier i'd figure u've shot a million 22's man, LR is long rifle, there's no doubt, i googled 22 lr and it came to this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.22_Long_Rifle i have no idea why your company calls it long range

.223 maybe overkill for the varment he's shooting at, you dont want the bullet to penetrate and then ricochet or whatever, you just need enough power to kill the small animal humanely. my 308 is part of the ar platform fwiw, called an ar-30.

@KB i'd go with the 22LR for cheap ammo (still has enough stopping power for small animals) or the 17 to make sure, but LM is right ammo is harder to come by and more $$.
    Click here to enlarge
    2007 335i Coupe
    Mods: Check the Garage

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    YOur correct in your usage of it, but im not wrong, LR is Long Range to military, ammo dodics, as i posted that above.

LR could be Long rifle in civ terms i guess, just doesnt make sense to me as we have different terms for the loads, but rifle stays the same,and I know thats what our loads call it, ie M118 Match Grade, M118LR (Long Range), MK 316 MOD 0 SBLR (Special Ball, Long Range)
    I guess it makes sense to civ's, since you can get a .22 in LR or SBR, or pistol. but doesnt make sense in the miltary sense. oh well. and i agree 223 is overkill, but its one of the more popular rifle to hunt Varmints with. but yea, if thats th only purpose, id use a .22

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge lol no one hunts varmits with a .223 r u serious? If you know people shooting varmnts with a .223 they should not be allowed to own a gun

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by jacobs323i Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge lol no one hunts varmits with a .223 r u serious? If you know people shooting varmnts with a .223 they should not be allowed to own a gun
    lol, wanna bet, go to some midwest forums, tons of people do. go to snipercentral or any "sniper" forum, its all wanna be's and they all use, or most, we know nothing is "all" , .223

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    .17hmr are bad ass varmit guns. kills ground hogs and possoms and musk rats like its no ones elses business.... They shoot 2000fps i believe.. I have a savage arms .17 hmr

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    no need for a 17 hmr for a varmint gun, 22 is essentially the perfect varmint gun for the animal size you have... 17 hmr is more expensive, there is no need for it. Might as well go 22-250 and kill them from 300 yards.
    Some people live long, meaningful lives.

Other people eat shit and die.

I'm not racist, I hate everybody equally; especially fat people.

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    22 is only 1400fps and the .17 hmr is actually 2500fps. And i have a fully custom remington 1022 hold.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by 600whp S4 Click here to enlarge
    22 is only 1400fps and the .17 hmr is actually 2500fps. And i have a fully custom remington 1022 hold.
    and do you need this to kill groundhogs?

He said kill them, not vaporize

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Anyone have ballistics data on .22LR vs .17HMR?

Hell, you could kill ground hogs with a .17 cal 1200fps air rifle from Gamo. Almost any fire-arm would work.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by SlicktopTTZ Click here to enlarge
    Anyone have ballistics data on .22LR vs .17HMR?

Hell, you could kill ground hogs with a .17 cal 1200fps air rifle from Gamo. Almost any fire-arm would work.
    yes i have the data, i have my lymans 49th edition reloading manual. the 17 hmr is about twice as powerful as the 22 and costs 4 times more. Its good for killing varmints if you come across one or two a week and need to get them from 100 yards. Other than that the 22 would do fine.

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by DBFIU Click here to enlarge
    yes i have the data, i have my lymans 49th edition reloading manual. the 17 hmr is about twice as powerful as the 22 and costs 4 times more. Its good for killing varmints if you come across one or two a week and need to get them from 100 yards. Other than that the 22 would do fine.
    That's awesome, my friend's dad reloads just about anything as well. So between the .17 hmr and the .22, what are the weight and velocity differences? I would imagine that the .17 slows pretty quickly, so it must have a bunch of powder and high muzzle velocity to be that much more powerful. (At 100yrds?)

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by SlicktopTTZ Click here to enlarge
    That's awesome, my friend's dad reloads just about anything as well. So between the .17 hmr and the .22, what are the weight and velocity differences? I would imagine that the .17 slows pretty quickly, so it must have a bunch of powder and high muzzle velocity to be that much more powerful. (At 100yrds?)
    i started to get into reloading but never took it very far..

here is all you need to know on the 17 hmr

http://www.varmintal.net/17hmr.htm

Click here to enlarge