Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No

NEW TO BIMMERS!!!

Whats up Enthusiast!

So as you can tell i am a noob when it comes to these beautiful machines. I am a EX-honda enthusiast that is looking for bigger and better things. And now that my piggy bank has grown substantially i am now able to purchase my dream 335i.

Why the 335?
    I was recently driving down the street going to a business meeting. I saw a stock blue 335i and for some reason fell immediately in love! The sheer sight of it gliding on the pavement, cutting through the 45 mph wind. So when i got home i immediately googled pictures of this machine. looking at every picture with an interest i think i will never have for any other car. I looked at the reviews of it, the engine size, the features, I became a fanatic of this model! Now your probably thinking great what does this kid have to say next? or what the hell is this kid thinking of doing to this car? Well thats what im here to ask all of you!

My plans.
    Originally i was going to put some nice tuner style rims on it, lower it a couple inches and add a decent lip. But now i want an AERO-MONSTER. Beastly stance, engine mods, and a sound that simply will make a woman wet from around the block. I want horsepower and agility, acceleration and stability. So now that i have a base to work off of, im asking for the help of you fellow enthusiast as to what to add to my list, or i should say where to start. I know its going to take time, money, and patience. Coming from building a 400 horsepower 1991 honda civic sedan with just a single cam engine, i know the fundamentals of adding horsepower and maintaining reliability. so it cant be that different from what i have done, just a lot pricier.
    So in saying that where do i start?

I would like to start with:

Wheels ( really digging the Interads )
    body add-ons
    suspension
    engine bolt-ons
    ECU upgrades
    carbon fiber applications
    And realistic power goals of 400-450 whp seeing as the base is a simple 300hp
    ALSO im really interested in converting it to an undercover M no badging but body styling

Thanks for all the help in creating my dream 335 it will be much recognized!
    THANKS BIMMERBOOST Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Welcome to the site man.
    For exterior mods, that's all up to you and what your vision is.
    Engine mods, I'd suggest a tune first (BMS JB4, Procede V5, Cobb, GIAC, etc) up to you what you like most.
    If you live in a hot area I'd go with a FMIC, oil cooler (if your car doesn't have one), then DP's and exhaust. If not then DP's would be first.

There are people that have swapped their 335i exterior to an M3 one, not sure if anyone here has done it though. But there are vendors that sell replica M3 body kits for the 3 series. Modbargins.com would be a place to find them.

Don't hesitate to ask any questions.
    2010 335i Coupe Le Mans Blue
    *JB4 Powered*

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

thanks for the advice i will definitely check that all out! And i live in sunny las vegas so summer time will be 120+ degrees. FMIC was an idea i had and so was an oil cooler, definitely gonna need that one!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2064 Post(s)

All up to your budget but the 335 is cheap/easy to tune. 400 whp is just a tune, downpipes, and meth away.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

but im not to sure a meth option is the best for street. id probably go with a decent sized turbo or just put a nice sized bottle on it maybe 125 shot or somehting. can the engine handle such a power boost?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2064 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by IDREAMOFBIMMER Click here to enlarge
    but im not to sure a meth option is the best for street. id probably go with a decent sized turbo or just put a nice sized bottle on it maybe 125 shot or somehting. can the engine handle such a power boost?
    Yes, nitrous info here: http://www.bimmerboost.com/content.p...L-REVIEW-DIY**

Meth is not a bad way to to go for the street at all.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Take a look at lostmarines car. He member here and probably has one of the baddest 335s.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Welcome to the party! As far as exterior mods, the front bumper on the 335 kind gets old. Get a rep m3 bumper.. looks the cleanest in my opinon, and the price isn't bad. AR catless dps are what everyone drools over. BMS DCI for intake (cheepest/good) may what to pair with some cheep scoops for better air flow. As stated above, FMIC and def oil cooler if you dont have an oem one, or even a better one from Stett.

6mt or AT?
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Twinturbom3 Click here to enlarge
    Keep on jealousing.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

heres what ya do for power performance-

JB4
    DCI
    AR DP's
    FMIC of your choice
    exhaust if you want sounds, but doesn really give HP
    and methanol injection

later you can add RB turbo's once production has caught up to demand

Meth is PERFECT for the street, simple easy and performs, much better than FMIC in redcing IAT and a benefit of adding octane- I was DEADSET AGAINST meth, until I rode in a car with it, now it just doesnt make sense to want good power, and not add it

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)

Hello and welcome.

modding these cars is a weeeee bit different than you think. There arent that many aftermarket turbo options as you are probably used to in the honda world, where you can slap a T3/T4 on a B16 for 2 grand and have a running motor.

For all the aero kits, rims and tires, all that jazz is not cheap.

The best part about this car is that the single most powerful mod is the piggyback and they are dirt cheap (JB4s are cheapest ones and offer amazing performance increases).

Methanol is COMMONPLACE amongst the N54 community. Dont think of it as some outrageous $#@! that you need to learn tons about, it really is as simple as spraying methanol into your chargepipe while underboost via a controller or boost switch, very simple and gains of 30-50 hp are easily seen on top of your piggyback.

The most expensive mods for these cars are EXTERNAL mods like body kits and aero packages or rims. Performance stuff is expensive once you start getting into full exhaust systems but those arent too bad. Remember i am comparing all of this to what you are probably used to in the honda experience, where stuff is cheap.

Anyway, start out with the piggyback chip, then get meth, then downpipes. There are the three biggest mods you can get, all this will run you anywhere from 1000-1500 depending if you find deals on second hand items. This is very cheap for the extra 150 hp you will get. That is about 10 bucks per horsepower.

N54 is a great modding platform, but the aero kits and all that glitzy stuff will be immensely expensive if you plan on really taking it far as it sounds you do.
    Some people live long, meaningful lives.

Other people eat shit and die.

I'm not racist, I hate everybody equally; especially fat people.

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

^Exactly what he said. Welcome to the BMW world.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

well once again thanks a lot for the advice. The comparison to my old world is definitely a big help to. I build my single slammer
    on 3500 dollars and a little heart. But i see these machines take a lot more as far as time and money goes. I am going to look into meth kits and other applications that were mentioned here, Hey you gotta start somewhere right! thanks again for the support, other sites like to flame the noob but you guys actually have helped greatly

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Oh and i forgot to ask. transmission wise, what would be the best platform? AT or MT, i read up on the tranny rebuild with sticky and it seems these trannys can take a beating so for street use i would love to go 6MT but for just cruising im not sure...

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

well, there have been a few AT trans issues at the highest power levels the N54 has reached. Im the first to actually get it rebuilt. some replace with stock, a couple guys in europe are in the process of building..

MT has seen no issues besides the clutch of course, but they are also generally slower, so its a trade-off.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

hmm. slower yet reliable, or decent but cant take a beating. . i think MT it going to be the best trade of with a clutch up grade!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2064 Post(s)

Oh and i forgot to ask. transmission wise, what would be the best platform? AT or MT, i read up on the tranny rebuild with sticky and it seems these trannys can take a beating so for street use i would love to go 6MT but for just cruising im not sure...
    If you plan to upgrade MT or AT would be best price wise, I have a DCT.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

HMM, Explain this DTC you speak of lol

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2064 Post(s)

HMM, Explain this DTC you speak of lol
    Have fun: http://www.bimmerboost.com/showthrea...-BMW-DCT-Build

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)

hmm. slower yet reliable, or decent but cant take a beating. . i think MT it going to be the best trade of with a clutch up grade!
    For your goals they are both equally reliable. People have hundreds of 1/4 mile passes on the AT with nitrous launches. And people also have hundreds of 1/4 passes with the MT.

The only people that need the AT rebuilt or the ones that need new clutches are heavily modded cars with either aftermarket turbos or nitrous. They are both dead reliable transmissions and you need not worry about them unless you're making 500 whp.

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

well that's good to know and thanks for the thread sticky, double clutch transmissions look sick, and pretty beastly. learning alot already and 500 horsepower isn't to far away once i hit the lovely 450 mark I'm looking for.

SO what about weight reduction? My 1991 sedan was fully gutted which allowed me to run decent 11s and when the track was prepped an even better time. But what about or lovely bimmers what can i remove without making it look so track purposed. I know the carbon fiber comes into play as in bumpers and fenders hood and trunk but how much further can i go to give this thing the Jenny craig weight loss goal of a lifetime lol

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)

youre not gonna be able to gut the car to the extent by which you are probably used to... but you can remove the backseat and get lightweight rims which helps a lot. youre getting a luxury car not a motor in a box which essentially is what the honda was. the car is gonna be heavy by nature, you wont be able to do much about it.

carbon fiber tidbits for these cars are not cheap, especially when u wanna start replacing panels.

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2064 Post(s)

well that's good to know and thanks for the thread sticky, double clutch transmissions look sick, and pretty beastly. learning alot already and 500 horsepower isn't to far away once i hit the lovely 450 mark I'm looking for.

SO what about weight reduction? My 1991 sedan was fully gutted which allowed me to run decent 11s and when the track was prepped an even better time. But what about or lovely bimmers what can i remove without making it look so track purposed. I know the carbon fiber comes into play as in bumpers and fenders hood and trunk but how much further can i go to give this thing the Jenny craig weight loss goal of a lifetime lol
    Gutting a BMW is kind of pointless.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)

E90 or E92 ?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

E92

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by DBFIU Click here to enlarge
    youre not gonna be able to gut the car to the extent by which you are probably used to... but you can remove the backseat and get lightweight rims which helps a lot. youre getting a luxury car not a motor in a box which essentially is what the honda was. the car is gonna be heavy by nature, you wont be able to do much about it.

carbon fiber tidbits for these cars are not cheap, especially when u wanna start replacing panels.
    ^^Agree. With our cars, you can enjoy the best of both worlds, speed and luxury at a reasonable price.
    2010 335i Coupe Le Mans Blue
    *JB4 Powered*

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast