Rep Points
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)

2 out of 2 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

2 out of 2 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Nice read. Makes me excited for the new M5.

Going to copy/paste it here you go people:

"1000 1M miles, 24 hours and a tribute band...

Allan Muir
    Just been out to the Nurburgring and back in a BMW 1-series M Coupe, partly for the 24-hour race but mostly to join the festivities at the M Festival, a gathering of fans of M division’s mostly fine products (obviously I’m not including the X5M and X6M in that category).

I have to confess that I’m besotted by the 1M; the little coupe is a proper, old-school hooligan of a car and a potential classic like the E30 M3 that it so obviously aspires to be like. It’s the car I’ve most wanted to drive this year – over and above even the McLaren MP4-12C – and when the time came it more than lived up to my expectations.

The chance to put a thousand miles under the wheels of Steve Sutcliffe’s new long-term 1M, with the prospect of a lap of the Nordschleife thrown in, was too good too miss.

In Valencia Orange, the 1M attracts attention like you wouldn't believe. The occupants of British-registered hot hatches, obviously on their way to the ’Ring as well, kept coming up beside me on the motorway and doing ‘floor it’ gestures. Normally I’d rise above such juvenile behaviour, but not in a 1M. It’s got the torque to accelerate pretty swiftly at motorway speeds even if you leave it in top gear, but dropping a gear or two and flooring the throttle for a few seconds is so much more fun…

I’d failed to look properly at the address of the hotel where we were supposed to rendezvous and turned up (on time) at the Dorint in Nurburg, adjacent to the GP circuit’s start/finish straight, only to find that there was no BMW GB party there and that I was supposed to be 30-odd miles away at the Dorint in Bad Neuenahr-Ahrweiler. But it hardly mattered, because it meant I was already where I needed to be a little later for the first of the M Festival events: the unveiling of the limited-edition M3 CRT and the new M5.

The CRT – a lighter, more powerful version of the M3 saloon with the 444bhp V8 from the ultra-expensive GTS – was introduced first, but to be honest it left me cold. Much as I like the idea of a CSL-style version of the current M3, the CRT’s red detailing looked rather tacky to me, the bonnet vents most of all, and the CSL wheels don't look half as good when they’re painted black. The news that the CRT isn’t coming to the UK was therefore not upsetting in the least.

The M5, on the other hand, looked the business. When it drove onto the stage it sounded so loud and so tasty that I wondered for a brief moment whether M division had drilled some holes in the exhaust or piped in some fake noise through the sound system. On the assumption that it was real, it filled me with confidence that the M5 will be quite a weapon.

The only thing that worried me about the M5 was the seemingly ridiculous number of different choices it gives the driver to adjust the drivetrain, suspension and steering parameters. But when I was chatting with one of the BMW M guys afterwards, he pointed out that, with two ‘M’ buttons on the steering wheel, you can simply programme one with all your preferred settings for press-on driving and the other with settings for cruising and you’re covered. Much better than forever fiddling with different settings.

The conversation turned to the prospect of M division doing a CSL version of the 1M, which may have a beefy power-to-weight ratio of 213bhp per tonne but still feels quite porky. Interestingly, it turned out that I wasn’t the first person to suggest just such a car, although it might be hard to justify from a cost point of view. But if BMW does eventually bring out a 1M CSL, remember that you heard it here first…

The next day we were back at the circuit bright and early to have a sneak peek at the Mini Coupe JCW Endurance racer, which was due to make its debut in the 24-hour race the following day. Two cars had been built specifically for the N24, using all the experience gained from the Mini Challenge series, with their 1.6 turbo engines wound up to 265bhp and the kerb weight reduced to 960kg, the class minimum. Sadly, it’s unlikely to lead to a more hardcore road version…

Next up was a BMW M ‘Corso’ track event. In the car park by the entrance to the Nordschleife, I counted seven orange 1Ms and one black one (which looked very inconspicuous by comparison). Lined up behind the barriers across the entrance to the circuit were the 1M MotoGP safety car, the new M5 ’Ring taxi, the M3 CRT we’d seen the previous night and an M1 Procar, which were due to lead us on a parade lap. Typically, the heavens opened just as we were queuing up to set off, but it was never going to be a flat-out lap anyway, so the fact that the circuit was awash hardly made any difference. The reception to the parade of M-cars was gratifying, though; all the marshals waved as we went by and the spectators blew their klaxons for all they were worth.

The plan that evening was to stay in the M Festival campsite at the top of the hill where the new circuit joins the Nordschleife. After a couple of hours of discomfort and sleeplessness in my tent, I gave up and walked down to the field where the 1M was parked and spent the remainder of the night sleeping in the car. It was considerably more comfortable than the tent.

Up to that point we hadn’t actually ventured up to the M Festival pavilion that had been set up on the hilltop on the other side of the circuit from our campsite, but we’d heard that an AC/DC tribute band was due to play on the Saturday night during the race, so we went to take a look. The band turned out to be an all-girl affair called Hells Belles – so nothing like the real thing – but the view from the hilltop of the cars coming up the hill on the GP circuit, turning left onto the old circuit and blasting back down to Hatzenbach made the trip worthwhile.

The weather may have been a bit fickle and the sleeping arrangements less than comfortable at times, but the 1M was a star. Nothing attracted more attention from race-goers and M-car fans during the four days we were there, and I loved every minute of the hours spent behind the wheel. I’m now desperate to take it back to the ’Ring for a few unfettered laps to see what it can really do. If I can ever prise it away from Sutcliffe again…"

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Hell yes, the M5 is going to be badass! Too bad it will be too expensive.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I'm tired of this 1M stuff, please give us a break.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sorena Click here to enlarge
    No way dude!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Car is only in production for one year.

The 1M will be old news in a few months.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Hopefully. BMW went way out to promote this car. It's a one year production that's practicaly sold out.
    2010 335i Coupe Le Mans Blue
    *JB4 Powered*

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Scourge82 Click here to enlarge
    Hopefully. BMW went way out to promote this car. It's a one year production that's practicaly sold out.
    Next time we will hear about the 1M is when the first owner reports their first HPFP failure.

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by M3_WC Click here to enlarge
    Next time we will hear about the 1M is when the first owner reports their first HPFP failure.

Click here to enlarge
    I'd rather have my HPFP fail than a crank bearing. Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    225 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    1M CSL? now we're talking
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Has anyone other than sticky and the dumb ass challenger review had anything bad to say yet?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by MSIZZLE Click here to enlarge
    Has anyone other than sticky and the dumb ass challenger review had anything bad to say yet?
    No! But what do you expect when they are reviewing the Best M ever...EVAR!!!!!!!!!!!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2089 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by MSIZZLE Click here to enlarge
    Bunch of sheep who will suck on whatever BMW feeds them.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Different persons, Different opinions.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2089 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Different persons, Different opinions.
    Nope, just a bunch of sheep sucking on BMW's teet. At least Insideline said something different.

I can't believe the press is letting BMW off the hook on this car.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    Nope, just a bunch of sheep sucking on BMW's teet. At least Insideline said something different.

I can't believe the press is letting BMW off the hook on this car.
    The Sticky has spoken!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2089 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by KB Click here to enlarge
    The Sticky has spoken!
    I'd write my own damn review if they would give me a test car. But considering their test drivers won't speak to me I don't think BMW likes me much Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    The Sticky has spoken!
    Trust me, he already has spoken, many times before. It's crazy how much he hates factory boosted motors in M cars considering the forum he started is called BimmerBoost.....

He had to supercharge his M3 to find some torque anyway. Click here to enlarge (Sticky flame-suit on)

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I'd write my own damn review if they would give me a test car. But considering their test drivers won't speak to me I don't think BMW likes me much Click here to enlarge
    The thing is that you would love the car so much that you would become of the BMW nut suckers that you hate so much! And then we would be like "There goes Sticky, swingin' from BMW's nuts again. Yeah, I hear that, but it's nothing new" Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by SlicktopTTZ Click here to enlarge
    Trust me, he already has spoken, many times before. It's crazy how much he hates factory boosted motors in M cars considering the forum he started is called BimmerBoost.....

He had to supercharge his M3 to find some torque anyway. Click here to enlarge (Sticky flame-suit on)
    Sticky's in the e92 M3 last real M camp...a 4000lb tank with an automatic is soooo much fun! If that how he rolls, hey, its cool with me. Different strokes.....

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2089 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by SlicktopTTZ Click here to enlarge

We are about BMW performance first and foremost in all its shapes and forms. Not just forced induction. We are about boosting your BMW in any way you want to!

My supercharger actually negatively impacts the low end. The torque it adds up top though... whoa.

I don't hate factory boosted motors at all, they are easier to tune. I hate what M is doing and how they went back on their word essentially selling out and diluting their own brand for some cheap bucks.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2089 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Sticky's in the e92 M3 last real M camp...a 4000lb tank with an automatic is soooo much fun! If that how he rolls, hey, its cool with me. Different strokes.....
    3550 pound car that is the lightest and best handling in its class... also the basis for the fastest production BMW to lap the Nurburgring. It is the last true M car with a tie to their traditional values.

I appreciate all BMW's, I also appreciate and don't spit on their storied history though.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I know, the M3 is an awesome car. If my 1M deal ends up falling through that's probably what I will get. 6mt though, none of that automatic stuff for me. Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2089 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I know, the M3 is an awesome car. If my 1M deal ends up falling through that's probably what I will get. 6mt though, none of that automatic stuff for me. Click here to enlarge
    If your get your 1M let me know. Where are you located btw?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    If your get your 1M let me know. Where are you located btw?
    Indiana Click here to enlarge The good thing is that I have the one and only F10 5 series in town...Rare, I know! There is one e90 M3. We only have 2 135s. LOL There are actually more Lamborghinis in town than there are F10 5's and e9x M3s combined in town! HAHA!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast