Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 62
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    318
    Rep Points
    399.8
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    4


    1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No

    Apex Speed Technology - Blog posts

    So we started a new blog where I'd like to talk about some of the products we're offering. The first is about the S54 swap kits we've talked about here, I know its a little bit of marketing fluff but hopefully it can lead to a better understanding of what we're offering.

    http://www.apexspeedtech.com/apex-sp...tandalone-kits
    Neel Vasavada
    Apex Speed Technology
    2947 S Sepulveda Blvd
    Los Angeles, CA 90064
    310.314.2005 (p)
    310.496.0951 (f)
    www.apexspeedtech.com
    info@apexspeedtech.com

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    119,423
    Rep Points
    32,104.2
    Mentioned
    2106 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    322


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Apex Speed Technology Click here to enlarge
    So we started a new blog where I'd like to talk about some of the products we're offering. The first is about the S54 swap kits we've talked about here, I know its a little bit of marketing fluff but hopefully it can lead to a better understanding of what we're offering.

    http://www.apexspeedtech.com/apex-sp...tandalone-kits
    That's excellent. I'll do a little write up and post a front page article on that.

    There is no pricing listed though?

    And what BMW's is this for? For example DCT cars are out I take it as well as some of the other more modern bodies?

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    318
    Rep Points
    399.8
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    4



    1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    And what BMW's is this for? For example DCT cars are out I take it as well as some of the other more modern bodies?
    Pricing is dependent on spec, and there are so many options that its hard to give ranges. The SQ6 starts at $3985 and that will control an S54 with dual vanos. Harnesses run $500 to as much as $10k depending on what you want. Typical kits are around $6000 including ECU with base calibrations and complete harnesses - just connect 12V, ground and starter button and you're running.

    These are for race cars and swap cars, and DCT is not supported. For these installations, the chassis don't matter. You can put an S54 with all of its functions (VANOS, e-throttles, knock control) and put it in a VW Bus if you want, that's the point of this kit - it allows you to completely separate and S54 from the rest of the chassis electrical system and completely reprogram the motor in any way you want. Ideal customers are race cars who want to have more tuning flexibility while removing the weight and complexity of stock wiring and engine swap cars where the stock chassis electrical integration is not an issue.

    We've sold over a dozen kits this year, but Mark Maquis and GSR are great examples. The E36 chassis never came with an S54 and this is a race car, so its perfect on both fronts. GSR Motorsports wanted to remove the stock chassis wiring, and they wanted a degree of control and tuning not available from piggybacks and stock ECU retuning, so they are great examples as well.

    Thanks,

    -Neel
    Neel Vasavada
    Apex Speed Technology
    2947 S Sepulveda Blvd
    Los Angeles, CA 90064
    310.314.2005 (p)
    310.496.0951 (f)
    www.apexspeedtech.com
    info@apexspeedtech.com

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    119,423
    Rep Points
    32,104.2
    Mentioned
    2106 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    322


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Apex Speed Technology Click here to enlarge
    Pricing is dependent on spec, and there are so many options that its hard to give ranges. The SQ6 starts at $3985 and that will control an S54 with dual vanos. Harnesses run $500 to as much as $10k depending on what you want. Typical kits are around $6000 including ECU with base calibrations and complete harnesses - just connect 12V, ground and starter button and you're running.

    These are for race cars and swap cars, and DCT is not supported. For these installations, the chassis don't matter. You can put an S54 with all of its functions (VANOS, e-throttles, knock control) and put it in a VW Bus if you want, that's the point of this kit - it allows you to completely separate and S54 from the rest of the chassis electrical system and completely reprogram the motor in any way you want. Ideal customers are race cars who want to have more tuning flexibility while removing the weight and complexity of stock wiring and engine swap cars where the stock chassis electrical integration is not an issue.

    We've sold over a dozen kits this year, but Mark Maquis and GSR are great examples. The E36 chassis never came with an S54 and this is a race car, so its perfect on both fronts. GSR Motorsports wanted to remove the stock chassis wiring, and they wanted a degree of control and tuning not available from piggybacks and stock ECU retuning, so they are great examples as well.

    Thanks,

    -Neel
    I see what you are saying.

    Let me ask an example like this. I know that there are many bells and whistles but just want to get an understanding. Say someone has an E30 and they want to do an S54 swap. Something like this would be perfect right? What would they need to make that happen?

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    119,423
    Rep Points
    32,104.2
    Mentioned
    2106 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    322


    Yes Reputation No

    Apex Speed Technology offering S54 (E46 M3 motor) Pectel stand alone engine swap kits

    Been dreaming about an S54 high revving 6 cylinder in your E30? What about E21? What about E9? What about even a Honda Accord? Hey, almost any chassis is possible with these Pectel SQ6 stand alone ECU's and the S54. It will mostly be race cars interested in this but enthusiasts as well considering that the Pectel can control ever stock feature including the throttles, VANOS, knock control and variable speed fan control, all while using all the stock sensors.

    Basic systems start at $6k. Not exactly cheap but this is also one of the highest quality proven engine control options for the S54 available. GSR Motorsports uses a Pectel SQ6 in their E85-powered 600+ horsepower turbo Z4. For further details check out Apex Speed Technology's site here: http://www.apexspeedtech.com/apex-sp...tandalone-kits or message Neel@Apex on the forum.

    Click here to enlarge

    Click here to enlarge

    Click here to enlarge

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Corpus Christi, Texas, United States
    Posts
    3,106
    Rep Points
    1,236.6
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    13


    Yes Reputation No
    Neel, are you guys in the process or have already developed a stand-alone for the newer Direct Injection motors such as the N54?

    This setup is going to open up the S54 to a lot more enthusiasts who make custom builds. Great work Apex! Click here to enlarge

    Cool GUI too. Click here to enlarge

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    5,173
    Rep Points
    526.1
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    6


    Yes Reputation No
    Good work. Loving the swap stuff.
    Click here to enlargeClick here to enlarge

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    318
    Rep Points
    399.8
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    4



    1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No

    OBD-I Swaps rock.


    Let me ask an example like this. I know that there are many bells and whistles but just want to get an understanding. Say someone has an E30 and they want to do an S54 swap. Something like this would be perfect right? What would they need to make that happen?
    This kit is absolutely perfect for ODB-I or older swaps like the E30. For the E30, we make the harness plug directly into the stock harness. So in that case, you figure out how to install the engine and the wiring is a snap. The stock ignition key, tach, check engine light, A/C etc all works perfectly. This is one of the reasons its hard for me to put pricing up because every system is built to suit depending on options like this.

    In fact, we can do this for almost any OBD-I swap - wanna put an S54 in a 72 Ford Pickup? No problem, we can make it plug right in.

    We make swap kits for all non Direct-Injection BMW motors. I'm working on posts for all that soon.

    -Neel
    Neel Vasavada
    Apex Speed Technology
    2947 S Sepulveda Blvd
    Los Angeles, CA 90064
    310.314.2005 (p)
    310.496.0951 (f)
    www.apexspeedtech.com
    info@apexspeedtech.com

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    318
    Rep Points
    399.8
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    4



    Yes Reputation No
    Neel, are you guys in the process or have already developed a stand-alone for the newer Direct Injection motors such as the N54?
    We have already, but the direct injection hardware is so expensive it doesn't make a lot of sense. Just the electronics to run an N54 cost about $15k, and there's no benefit to it versus an M54 with a turbo.

    -Neel
    Neel Vasavada
    Apex Speed Technology
    2947 S Sepulveda Blvd
    Los Angeles, CA 90064
    310.314.2005 (p)
    310.496.0951 (f)
    www.apexspeedtech.com
    info@apexspeedtech.com

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    5,173
    Rep Points
    526.1
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    6


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Apex Speed Technology Click here to enlarge
    We have already, but the direct injection hardware is so expensive it doesn't make a lot of sense. Just the electronics to run an N54 cost about $15k, and there's no benefit to it versus an M54 with a turbo.

    -Neel
    Interesting info.
    Click here to enlargeClick here to enlarge

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    885
    Rep Points
    8.0
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    0


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Apex Speed Technology Click here to enlarge
    Typical kits are around $6000 including ECU with base calibrations and complete harnesses - just connect 12V, ground and starter button and you're running.

    Thanks,

    -Neel
    Neel, I appreciate you saying this. This is exactly what I said but you told me I was wrong Click here to enlarge


  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    119,423
    Rep Points
    32,104.2
    Mentioned
    2106 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    322


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by 5mall5nail5 Click here to enlarge
    Neel, I appreciate you saying this. This is exactly what I said but you told me I was wrong Click here to enlarge
    He didn't tell you that you were wrong only that you exaggerated the cost a bit. Plus, you already have a thread for that so let's not drag it into here.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    119,423
    Rep Points
    32,104.2
    Mentioned
    2106 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    322


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Apex Speed Technology Click here to enlarge
    In fact, we can do this for almost any OBD-I swap - wanna put an S54 in a 72 Ford Pickup? No problem, we can make it plug right in.
    This... is so cool. A 72 ford pickup with a turbo S54 isn't a bad idea haha.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    885
    Rep Points
    8.0
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    0


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    He didn't tell you that you were wrong only that you exaggerated the cost a bit. Plus, you already have a thread for that so let's not drag it into here.
    I believe I said (and I am working off the top of my head here) $6 - 8k. He said kits are about $6k yet harnesses go from $500 - $10k as he states, so if anything, I under-estimate .... But you're right. So was I Click here to enlarge


  15. #15
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    885
    Rep Points
    8.0
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    0


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    This... is so cool. A 72 ford pickup with a turbo S54 isn't a bad idea haha.
    Sticky - it sounds so cool. But in reality, the engine harness has VERY little to do with what chassis it is in. The only thing an ECU needs from the chassis a ground points and 12V supply. Thus the reason its so easy to put an M50TU motor into an E30. All you need is the engine harness, you don't mess with ANY chassis wiring. Same for a 2JZ swap or anything else really. Need a main relay that provides 12v to the ECU and a fuel pump relay. Done.


  16. #16
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    119,423
    Rep Points
    32,104.2
    Mentioned
    2106 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    322


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by 5mall5nail5 Click here to enlarge
    Sticky - it sounds so cool. But in reality, the engine harness has VERY little to do with what chassis it is in. The only thing an ECU needs from the chassis a ground points and 12V supply. Thus the reason its so easy to put an M50TU motor into an E30. All you need is the engine harness, you don't mess with ANY chassis wiring. Same for a 2JZ swap or anything else really. Need a main relay that provides 12v to the ECU and a fuel pump relay. Done.
    Well no matter what it's cool. I like the idea that you can put an S54 into basically any OBD-I car.

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    885
    Rep Points
    8.0
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    0


    Yes Reputation No
    Yep - you can put it in an OBD0 car. You can put an S73 in an OBD1 car too. Or a B&S into an OBD1 car, etc. Click here to enlarge Anything will run in anything. After you put anything in an OBD1 or OBD2 car, its no longer "OBD" so far as the gubment is concerned.


  18. #18
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    119,423
    Rep Points
    32,104.2
    Mentioned
    2106 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    322


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by 5mall5nail5 Click here to enlarge
    Yep - you can put it in an OBD0 car. You can put an S73 in an OBD1 car too. Or a B&S into an OBD1 car, etc. Click here to enlarge Anything will run in anything. After you put anything in an OBD1 or OBD2 car, its no longer "OBD" so far as the gubment is concerned.
    If the government had their way we would not be able to do any cool swaps at all. Now someone go put this motor in a pickup!

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    318
    Rep Points
    399.8
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    4



    Yes Reputation No
    Yep - you can put it in an OBD0 car. You can put an S73 in an OBD1 car too. Or a B&S into an OBD1 car, etc. Click here to enlarge Anything will run in anything. After you put anything in an OBD1 or OBD2 car, its no longer "OBD" so far as the gubment is concerned.
    Yes, and frankly anyone who's smart enough can do everything that you or I do. That's not the point. We do the research on how, we calibrate things like tach outputs, we figure out the wiring and find the connectors so YOU don't have to.

    Unless you've done a bunch of this and do it regularly for a living, I'd be weary of any implication that its simple and easy to do. And go read your posts, you deliberately and clearly misrepresented our pricing and continue to.

    -neel

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    119,423
    Rep Points
    32,104.2
    Mentioned
    2106 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    322


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Apex Speed Technology Click here to enlarge
    Yes, and frankly anyone who's smart enough can do everything that you or I do. That's not the point. We do the research on how, we calibrate things like tach outputs, we figure out the wiring and find the connectors so YOU don't have to.
    Thank you.

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    885
    Rep Points
    8.0
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    0


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Apex Speed Technology Click here to enlarge
    Yes, and frankly anyone who's smart enough can do everything that you or I do. That's not the point. We do the research on how, we calibrate things like tach outputs, we figure out the wiring and find the connectors so YOU don't have to.

    Unless you've done a bunch of this and do it regularly for a living, I'd be weary of any implication that its simple and easy to do. And go read your posts, you deliberately and clearly misrepresented our pricing and continue to.

    -neel
    Calibrate tach outputs?


  22. #22
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Bay Area
    Posts
    977
    Rep Points
    779.1
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    8


    2 out of 2 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    neel - i've got someone who i'm providing a s54 to who's planning on fabbing an inexpensive e30 conversion kit (mounts/headers/etc). both he and i would be interested to hear what total cost on ECU/harness would be for that conversion.

  23. #23
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    119,423
    Rep Points
    32,104.2
    Mentioned
    2106 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    322


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by dreikraft Click here to enlarge
    neel - i've got someone who i'm providing a s54 to who's planning on fabbing an inexpensive e30 conversion kit (mounts/headers/etc). both he and i would be interested to hear what total cost on ECU/harness would be for that conversion.
    Who is going to be making that kit and how much $? Very interesting...

  24. #24
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Bay Area
    Posts
    977
    Rep Points
    779.1
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    8


    1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    Who is going to be making that kit and how much $? Very interesting...
    can't disclose just yet. but its less about providing a product as it is providing information because the info on s54 swap on e30s is hard to come by and he wants to make it more readily available. his focus is mainly engine management; alot of the hardware will be e36 based. ill make a thread when the time is right, but for now i'm interested to see if apex can provide an affordable ECU/harness package as that is key when it comes to e30s.

  25. #25
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Valley Stream NY
    Posts
    3,350
    Rep Points
    2,779.7
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    28


    Yes Reputation No
    Damn you Neel for making me want to put an S54 into my E28 Click here to enlarge

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •