Close

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2064 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by SlicktopTTZ Click here to enlarge
    It's just certain people don't want to admit the N54 is a great motor. It can torque sideways through turns, on a damp track, stay balanced and beat the newest "real" M car with a cheaper price and much less rated horsepower.
    It's a nice motor. It wasn't an M motor to begin with and isn't one now just because BMW put an M badge on a fixed up 135.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by M3_WC Click here to enlarge
    You are changing the argument, talking about cost.

The guy stated, "The best M car ever".

The 1M is not even in the same league as cars like the CSL or M3 GTS. It is just a silly thing to say.
    Lol WHAT?! That is YOUR opinion.

He can say whatever he wants! If he truly thinks it is the "best" M car ever, then so be it. I don't think it is silly at all. It's one of their cheapest models yet captures the spirit of an "Ultimate Driving Machine"..... having fun DRIVING!

I think it is, and in fact would prefer this over that over-priced E92 M3 "GTS". The CSL is over-priced as well and would need to be forced induction to keep up with a 1M with few mods.....

You are right, it's not in the same league, it's not in the "over-priced for what you get" league......

It's a good car. "Best" is subjective, and there is no use arguing that. To me the 1M is the BEST BMW for me. Obviously it isn't for you. Nothing silly about that.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2064 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by 654 Click here to enlarge
    You guys are talking down this great BMW only because it has turbos. You better get used to the idea of all M-cars being turbocharged. The engine of 1M is the best one there is out there currently at 2.5 - 3 liter category according to the International Engine of the Year Awards.
    Not just because it has turbos. M made the switch, yep, but this wasn't an M motor when the 335 came out and now it suddenly is because BMW did a cash grab? Please.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2064 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Scourge82 Click here to enlarge
    1M is a great BMW car no denying that. But all they did was take the Z4 engine, the M3 brakes and rear suspension and call it a day. Pretty lazy from the M division compared to their previous M cars.
    This.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    It's a nice motor. It wasn't an M motor to begin with and isn't one now just because BMW put an M badge on a fixed up 135.
    Ok, what's your point? Do you buy cars based on the name only now? I love the N54. I don't give a $#@! if it's a "Real M" motor.

I'm happy it doesn't have an S65 shoved in there because then it would be an expensive to mod, tightly packed, try-to-make-forced-induction nightmare.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2064 Post(s)

What if you were actually paying for it? Go try to find one for less than $47,000. I don't think the CSL is worth the money, $80,000+ if you can even find one? Might as well mod an E46 M3.
    How does this make sense then? Go find a used 135, mod it, Tada!, 1M beater.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2064 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by M3_WC Click here to enlarge
    The 1M is not even in the same league as cars like the CSL or M3 GTS. It is just a silly thing to say.
    It isn't even in the league of the E30 M3.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2064 Post(s)

Ok, what's your point? Do you buy cars based on the name only now? I love the N54. I don't give a $#@! if it's a "Real M" motor.
    Not all, but the point is BMW has diluted what the Motorsport division means. They used to take pride in their motors and their cars. They used to refuse making SVU's. They were M and not everybody else. Now, they have become AMG.

So, I'm disappointed. That doesn't mean it is a bad car. Great car, just not a great M.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

How does this make sense then? Go find a used 135, mod it, Tada!, 1M beater.
    Ok, you are going to transfer bodywork, change sub-frames, buy competition M3 wheels/suspension/brakes/differential and mod the cooling systems on a used 135i for less than buying a new 1M?

Sorry, but no, I already looked into that.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

It isn't even in the league of the E30 M3.
    The E30 M3 WAS a great car. It would be a ton of fun to mod. Was built for motorsports while still being a realistic street car.

But IT is not in the same league as the 1M now. It would get raped.... at anything. Track times, drag times, comfort, audio system quality, looks (IMO).....

I have a stripped out car, 2 seats, and didn't come with cup holders. Only for sports driving. Does that make it some magical car? No.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Not all, but the point is BMW has diluted what the Motorsport division means. They used to take pride in their motors and their cars. They used to refuse making SVU's. They were M and not everybody else. Now, they have become AMG.

So, I'm disappointed. That doesn't mean it is a bad car. Great car, just not a great M.
    I respect your opinion. They have made some weird choices. I'm just happy they made a 1M before that God-awful new 1 series.....

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2064 Post(s)

Ok, you are going to transfer bodywork, change sub-frames, buy competition M3 wheels/suspension/brakes/differential and mod the cooling systems on a used 135i for less than buying a new 1M?

Sorry, but no, I already looked into that.
    I thought you were the one saying what matters is how the cars drives not how it looks or the badge? Who cares about the bodywork? The M3 bits can be transferred over and actually you can get better suspension and diff components in the aftermarket.

You can't just put new suspension, a diff, and a slightly different tune on a 335 and call it an M3.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

I thought you were the one saying what matters is how the cars drives not how it looks or the badge? Who cares about the bodywork? The M3 bits can be transferred over and actually you can get better suspension and diff components in the aftermarket.

You can't just put new suspension, a diff, and a slightly difference tune on a 335 and call it an M3.
    Yeah I can't call it a M3, but BMW can. I don't really care. They could of called the 1M "$#@!box" and it wouldn't matter. (Although I would de-badge it)

The bodywork is there so I can get more contact patch for my rubber. My 1M fenders will be rolled too by the time I'm done. (actually will never be "done")

The 1M is simply a much better starting point. Putting all that money and time into a 135i would be annoying when you could start with something like the 1M.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2064 Post(s)

Yeah I can't call it a M3, but BMW can. I don't really care.
    I do care though.

The 1M is simply a much better starting point. Putting all that money and time into a 135i would be annoying when you could start with something like the 1M.
    Debatable really as the only issue would really be the body work.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

I do care though.

Debatable really as the only issue would really be the body work.
    Ah, ok. I'm just lazy then and would rather start with a 1M. Corpus Christi dealer is dropping the ball so I'm going Classic in Dallas.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

And not saying the is the ultimate measure of a car but the 1M was faster around the Top Gear test track than the M3 CSL and it was damp.....

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2064 Post(s)

And not saying the is the ultimate measure of a car but the 1M was faster around the Top Gear test track than the M3 CSL and it was damp.....
    The M3 CSL is 25 seconds faster around the ring... I mean, wow.

Top Gear's test track is useless since it is always raining and now they have a different driver, etc.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

The M3 CSL is 25 seconds faster around the ring... I mean, wow.

Top Gear's test track is useless since it is always raining and now they have a different driver, etc.
    Was the guy that set the 1M time the same guy that drove that M3 CSL? So can't use that point.

But yes, I don't doubt the CSL is faster at the 'ring, where it has plenty of time to make up time by carving up turns and showing off it's low weight.

Like I said, I like the car, I just don't think it is realistic to own for myself vs the 1M, and the 1M is a better car to ME. If the 1M was a 335hp NA 130i motor I'd say HELL NO!

I don't feel like spending an extra $10,000 and lots of hours trying to get a turbo system to work..... not to mention killing any sort of warranty or resale value.

This isn't a project car, it's gonna be a great daily driver than has some balls and is fun. Exactly what I want.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2064 Post(s)

Was the guy that set the 1M time the same guy that drove that M3 CSL? So can't use that point.
    No, but a 25 second variance when going for best times is pretty large don't you think? The Top Gear course is smaller meaning one error can change everything. Not to mention the conditions.

Like I said, I like the car, I just don't think it is realistic to own for myself vs the 1M, and the 1M is a better car to ME. If the 1M was a 335hp NA 130i motor I'd say HELL NO!

I don't feel like spending an extra $10,000 and lots of hours trying to get a turbo system to work..... not to mention killing any sort of warranty or resale value.
    You don't need to defend your purchase to me. I would do the same, buy a 1M instead of mod a 135. However, that still doesn't make it a true M car in my mind.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Around a dry track the CSL would be quicker period.

They ran the CSL in damp conditions with Pilot Sport Cup tires, that is a no-no. BMW even makes you sign a waiver, telling you not to run the car in cold/damp conditions.

Once again the 1M is not in the same league as the CSL, 25 seconds on the ring is huge.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Same guy didn't set the Top Gear times.

At least "Sportauto" was the same tester for the 1M and CSL times.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Cool.

I like the 1M better.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

2 out of 2 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    This 1 Series M Coupe review by Clarkson should be BimmerBoost home page material, no? I'm shocked its not there already - what gives??? Get it up there this is a great vid and review!!!!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2064 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by DubSport Click here to enlarge
    This 1 Series M Coupe review by Clarkson should be BimmerBoost home page material, no? I'm shocked its not there already - what gives??? Get it up there this is a great vid and review!!!!
    Because we have done a bunch of 1M stuff already. I know other sites put it up on the front page but that is because they all follow themselves. If you look at our front page and the others we are substantially different while they are all the same.

The 1M has gotten plenty of coverage. Sometimes things can just stay in the forum.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)

Im going to side with Sticky. I have been a firm believer of the old M ways...hand built, a special class above the rest. Maybe this 1M should have been like an 135 GTS or Msport-whatever moniker.

I bet someone will drop an S65 into it, and it wont NEED forced induction to keep up with the Joneses. It will show the world what it SHOULD have been.

Ok so you say, what happens when the next M3 comes along and this little thing still $#@!s all over it? Well then leave it to BMW to up the ante for the F30. 6 cylinder turbo, S designation engine with power level detuned to the 400hp mark. It might take some ideas, maybe even a S55 version of the N55?

I should work for BMWs engineering dept when it comes to these things....Im not knocking the 1m performance wise, its a great handling and great looking car but they should have put a different badge on it.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast