3 out of 3 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No

Jeremy Clarkson reviews the 1M!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

me likey
    2009.5 AW E90 335i ZMP - SOLD
    2013 E92 M3 6MT ZCP - Space Grey/Fox Red Click here to enlarge

Want to Buy: 1977-89 Porsche 911 Turbo Coupe (930)

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by CookieCrisp Click here to enlarge
    me likey
    I think he liked it too!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2055 Post(s)

Cool, so it drifts and so forth?

I mean it's an awesome car as most BMW's are but still not an M.

Glad he mentioned that it is a parts bin M though at least and that they did that drag race since it shows how the Cayman R with a manual really stacks up.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Full Top Gear episode

Top Gear - [17x01] - 2011.06.26

-Richard is in South Africa to test a bigger, even more rugged alternative to the famous Hummer- the Marauder.
    -Jeremy tests the new BMW 1M.
    -James meets up with Olympic Skelton Gold Medal Winner, Amy Williams, and races her in the new Mini Rally Car with WRC Champion Kris Meeke.
    -Jeremy celebrates the 50th Birthday of the Jaguar E-type by driving a modernized version, the Eagle Speedster.
    -SIARPC: Alice Cooper

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2055 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by UsualSuspect Click here to enlarge

-Richard is in South Africa to test a bigger, even more rugged alternative to the famous Hummer- the Marauder.
    -Jeremy tests the new BMW 1M.
    -James meets up with Olympic Skelton Gold Medal Winner, Amy Williams, and races her in the new Mini Rally Car with WRC Champion Kris Meeke.
    -Jeremy celebrates the 50th Birthday of the Jaguar E-type by driving a modernized version, the Eagle Speedster.
    -SIARPC: Alice Cooper

http://www.PorscheBoost.com/images/i...75543_07-1.jpg
    Nice.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    Cool, so it drifts and so forth?

I mean it's an awesome car as most BMW's are but still not an M.

Glad he mentioned that it is a parts bin M though at least and that they did that drag race since it shows how the Cayman R with a manual really stacks up.
    What's an "M" then? ...in your opinion. Just asking.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2055 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by UsualSuspect Click here to enlarge
    What's an "M" then? ...in your opinion. Just asking.
    Pretty much what I have written in every thread on this car but I'll summarize some points here.

M's are the complete package. RWD, high revving, NA race bred motors. These are Motorsport cars after all, right? Well, BMW doesn't do any competitive racing with anything resembling an N54. Secondly, M's have never had a motor available in a base model. Could you imagine if the M3 was just a 335 with some body work changes, suspension/brake changes, and a slightly different tune? People would go ape $#@!.

M has changed and not for the better IMO. The switch to turbo motors is somewhat understandable even though I don't like it. However, simply tossing a motor that was never good enough to be M badged to begin with into a car with M3 parts and calling it an M is inexcusable and lazy.

Yes, it is a great car but it is not a great M.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

wow hats off to the 1m and congrats bmw!!! everyone that drives it loves it and every review i have read have all bin really positive. I wonder what Sticky means by now an m?? i mean you take a 9 min vid about a new bmw that is a part of our little family and try and point out something neg. And I also dont get the parts bin comment, lots of amg's share an engine and brakes and i wouldnt be surprised if they share suspension tid bits as well, so i dont get how that makes it any less of a car. And the argument that its not NA is somewhat valid but its the direction the company is going, is the new m5 a real M?? oh and sticky is your m3 a real m,its not na???

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

so if they tested the car with those parts and it works well they should just do it over just for the sake of doing it??

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

hmmm, didn't expect clarkson to like it honestly. i think that smile at the end of his driving clip says something.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2055 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by MSIZZLE Click here to enlarge
    wow hats off to the 1m and congrats bmw!!! everyone that drives it loves it and every review i have read have all bin really positive. I wonder what Sticky means by now an m?? i mean you take a 9 min vid about a new bmw that is a part of our little family and try and point out something neg. And I also dont get the parts bin comment, lots of amg's share an engine and brakes and i wouldnt be surprised if they share suspension tid bits as well, so i dont get how that makes it any less of a car. And the argument that its not NA is somewhat valid but its the direction the company is going, is the new m5 a real M?? oh and sticky is your m3 a real m,its not na???
    It isn't whether my car is NA or not. The E92 M3 is a real M car.

Secondly, AMG never was and never will be M. M is becoming more like AMG unfortunately instead of the other way around.

The new M doesn't just have an N63 in it with a different tune. As a matter of fact, they changed the motor significantly vs. even the X5 and X6 M's. That is something BMW did not bother to do for the 1M.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    I agree. I know you're wondering what I drive, 135i and I love it.[BrenTuned] I've had 3 BMWs before and two of them were M cars so I know what you're talking about.

Pretty much what I have written in every thread on this car but I'll summarize some points here.

M's are the complete package. RWD, high revving, NA race bred motors. These are Motorsport cars after all, right? Well, BMW doesn't do any competitive racing with anything resembling an N54. Secondly, M's have never had a motor available in a base model. Could you imagine if the M3 was just a 335 with some body work changes, suspension/brake changes, and a slightly different tune? People would go ape $#@!.

M has changed and not for the better IMO. The switch to turbo motors is somewhat understandable even though I don't like it. However, simply tossing a motor that was never good enough to be M badged to begin with into a car with M3 parts and calling it an M is inexcusable and lazy.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

well I guess I have to go to the dealer and pick one up today
    Current: 964 WB, 993, Panamera Turbo

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

BS

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2055 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by FR305 Click here to enlarge
    BS
    Not at all.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Not at all.
    Yes, all of it

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2055 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by FR305 Click here to enlarge
    Yes, all of it
    You are entitled to your opinion but I believe you are wrong.

I know you like the 1M and whatnot but it's a representation of what is wrong with M and no real purist can accept it as a true M car. That is my stance and I do like the car. It's just should be a 135is instead of a dilution of the brand.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)

Well congratulations 1M owners, Clarkson was the hardest challenge and your car made it.

i was a fool and didn't get one, should look if it's still available in middle east.

BTW the front bumper looks better after the crash.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

All the reviews are extremely positive. This is a great car. Having driven one myself, in my opinion it is the best M car ever.
    [I have driven most M cars, not the old M1 though.]

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2055 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by 654 Click here to enlarge
    All the reviews are extremely positive. This is a great car. Having driven one myself, in my opinion it is the best M car ever.
    Best M car ever?

Come on people.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)

I will not say it is the best M car ever because frankly I can not judge that. I haven't driven them all. But I can say that , despite all the sillyness, it is very hard to impress Jeremy Clarkson with a car. When he did the review of the 135i he was allready very positive, but this positiveness about the 1M really surprised me yesterday.
    He reviewed the entire package, not just the engine.
    And if the package works, and around a damp Top Gear track is faster then the E92 M3, there is no denying that it in fact is a balanced package.
    Turbocharging is the way to go to reduce emmisssions and improve fuel economy, you see it in all European brands.
    And the car manufactureres have had to commit to this. It was not voluntarilly, it was by European law.
    So, BMW had to not do too much on the N54, or else the M3 would have really looked bad performance wise. Even with this little work it is faster then a standard M3.
    I am just glad they made a 1M in the end.
    There are two theories to arguing with women. Neither one works

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Could you imagine if the M3 was just a 335 with some body work changes, suspension/brake changes, and a slightly different tune? People would go ape $#@!.
    There is some truth to this.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by 654 Click here to enlarge
    Nope....CSL, E92 M3 are better. I would rather have a used E60 M5 over this car.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by M3_WC Click here to enlarge
    Not the CSL. Not even close.
    Not even in the same league, no comparison makes sense between these 2 cars.

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast