Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Exclamation S-54 Boost Build

I own a 2003 m3, and I'am ready to throw boost to by means of a turbocharger, I want to try and do it as a home grown project, rather than send off to a retailer and just have it done. I dont know if anyone one this forum has done what I am attempting, or strayed away from buying a HPF kit, but if anyone has any suggestions or pointers I am all earsClick here to enlarge

(And I'm not trying to diss HPF, I really do like thier kits, if I find out this might not work out Im most likely gonna give them a call Click here to enlarge)

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2056 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    You may have an option in this area but honestly, trying to do it yourself is a monumental task.

Who are you going to use for the manifold? You can probably get the HPF manifold from their fabricator is you really want it.

However, then what about the tuning? Gintani may have a factory DME option for you soon. Do you really want to undertake something like this? It may even cost you more in the long run instead of buying something tested.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Doing it yourself is goign to end up costing you more than the HPF kit, with much more headache's in the process. Then you will be just hope for big power, then you will worry about things breaking and going wrong.

HPF is your best bet, not only because of how amazing the kit is, but also the customer service that comes with it.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Just go HPF and save yourself a headache.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

waste of time and money...

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

3 year warranty FTW

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

OP - I would say if this is what you want to do, don't let anyone stop you.

However, I'm sure these guys speak from experience and would like to save you the time, trouble, and money.

I'm sure it has been thought over and done, just my two cents.

If you do go ahead and proceed, PLEASE give us details as we would LOVE to hear all about it!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

You don't have to buy HPF, I've seen the prices and they are pretty high. I can get a VG30DETT longblock prepped for 1000+whp by Import Parts pro for $9,500, and even cheaper if I pieced it together myself. It will take time, and lots of learning, but I6s are relatively easy to build and I think you should go for it. Take pictures along the way to share with us! Plus you can eliminate all the stuff you don't need and make sure everything is exactly how you want it. Also, ALWAYS HAVE A GOOD SET OF TORQUE WRENCHES that are calibrated properly! One of the most critical parts of building an engine is making sure everything is bolted together in the right order and to spec. Good luck!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

good luck on this one.. if you have a garage.. the space and time to build it.. then go for it if there is a step by step manual .. but then again... HPF would be your best bet

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2056 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by SlicktopTTZ Click here to enlarge
    You don't have to buy HPF, I've seen the prices and they are pretty high. I can get a VG30DETT longblock prepped for 1000+whp by Import Parts pro for $9,500, and even cheaper if I pieced it together myself. It will take time, and lots of learning, but I6s are relatively easy to build and I think you should go for it. Take pictures along the way to share with us! Plus you can eliminate all the stuff you don't need and make sure everything is exactly how you want it. Also, ALWAYS HAVE A GOOD SET OF TORQUE WRENCHES that are calibrated properly! One of the most critical parts of building an engine is making sure everything is bolted together in the right order and to spec. Good luck!
    The Nissan world is completely different and there are a bunch of tuning options.

People can do the hardware sure, what the hell is he going to do about the tuning?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    The Nissan world is completely different and there are a bunch of tuning options.

People can do the hardware sure, what the hell is he going to do about the tuning?
    Radio shack! resistor tuning FTW Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

What does anyone do about tuning? Click here to enlarge I know nothing about the e46 M3 ECU, like whether it's MAP or MAF, OBDI or II, blah blah blah (will read into it later, WAY too tired right now), but I'm sure there is some sort of tuning solution out there. If not one that works with the factory ecu, just get a stand-alone, and personally I would go with a MAP setup for any turbocharged vehicle. I'm sure HPF can offer advice, or any other shop in the world that has successfully completed a turbo s54.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

the nissan world is different. trust me, i've come from there as well. i've own tuned and high horsepower nissans in the past. its not like a BMW. its a whole new world for bmw. if you are resourceful and have cash, you could probably find the parts. not too hard. its the tuning that is gonna kill you. In the nissan, mitsubishi worlds, its easy to slap on parts and get it tuned. thats not such a biggy when you got the hookups.

as everyone else is saying, you can get it done at the end. dont know how long, but if you stick to it, it will be done. for how much though? i can almost gurantee it will be more than HPF.
    Garage Queen LSB 2001 M3 | VF Engineering Stg 1 | Black out package | Depo Smoke corners | LED smoked Tail lights | UUC short Shifter | UUC RK5 shift knob | Vorsteiner V-CSL Vented Race Hood | CF windshield washer grill | H&R Springs | HRE C21, black center with custom LSB colored Lip | BSW Stg 1 Speakers | BSW Dual 10" Sub setup
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

What does anyone do about tuning? Click here to enlarge I know nothing about the e46 M3 ECU, like whether it's MAP or MAF, OBDI or II, blah blah blah (will read into it later, WAY too tired right now), but I'm sure there is some sort of tuning solution out there. If not one that works with the factory ecu, just get a stand-alone, and personally I would go with a MAP setup for any turbocharged vehicle. I'm sure HPF can offer advice, or any other shop in the world that has successfully completed a turbo s54.

you make it sound so simple. i wish it was that simple. til this date, there is no one in the US that has tuned the MSS54 ecu for turbo. AA tuned it a little but runs in conjuction with a AEM engine management for two folks. Does it run solely on just the DME, NO. HPF has the only option out there currently that works and has been tested to run as an option for tuning for the turbo on the E46 M3. However you cant buy there engine management and their tune for a home turbo setup project. its exclusive to their kit only.

Gintani is working on a turbo setup that will utilize soley the factory dme for tuning. but until its done, and we see it running with pictures and videos, it means nothing yet. then you have 02pruv in aus who has tuned his own E46 m3 on AEM. you can ask him how intense and how much work he has put into it.
    Garage Queen LSB 2001 M3 | VF Engineering Stg 1 | Black out package | Depo Smoke corners | LED smoked Tail lights | UUC short Shifter | UUC RK5 shift knob | Vorsteiner V-CSL Vented Race Hood | CF windshield washer grill | H&R Springs | HRE C21, black center with custom LSB colored Lip | BSW Stg 1 Speakers | BSW Dual 10" Sub setup
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    63 Post(s)

0 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    The gintani car is running and driving and making almost 500whp on their dyno on pump.

They are having a big injectors study they were trying to make 100%, not tuning

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by finger123 Click here to enlarge
    you make it sound so simple. i wish it was that simple. til this date, there is no one in the US that has tuned the MSS54 ecu for turbo. AA tuned it a little but runs in conjuction with a AEM engine management for two folks. Does it run solely on just the DME, NO. HPF has the only option out there currently that works and has been tested to run as an option for tuning for the turbo on the E46 M3. However you cant buy there engine management and their tune for a home turbo setup project. its exclusive to their kit only.

Gintani is working on a turbo setup that will utilize soley the factory dme for tuning. but until its done, and we see it running with pictures and videos, it means nothing yet. then you have 02pruv in aus who has tuned his own E46 m3 on AEM. you can ask him how intense and how much work he has put into it.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by BrenM3 Click here to enlarge
    The gintani car is running and driving and making almost 500whp on their dyno on pump.

They are having a big injectors study they were trying to make 100%, not tuning
    im sure it is. my post was not saying they couldnt. i know they will be the first. my point was until its finalized, then it can be nationally acclaimed that they did it and so forth. trust me, right now im waiting everyday to see the results of that car. i just might be the next car to run a turbo setup on tune dme from them as well... hint..hint..
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    63 Post(s)

hint hint I know all the in and out details of that tune.

that kit was never meant to go production but to fix previous shops $#@! up.

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by finger123 Click here to enlarge
    im sure it is. my post was not saying they couldnt. i know they will be the first. my point was until its finalized, then it can be nationally acclaimed that they did it and so forth. trust me, right now im waiting everyday to see the results of that car. i just might be the next car to run a turbo setup on tune dme from them as well... hint..hint..

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2056 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by BrenM3 Click here to enlarge
    hint hint I know all the in and out details of that tune.

that kit was never meant to go production but to fix previous shops $#@! up.
    Are you going to share your tuning background with everyone eventually? Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    63 Post(s)

1 out of 2 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Possibly, for now I will subtly drop cues. Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I would go HPF without a doubt. Warranty, support, quality of the kit. There is no point to do it yourself, even if you save 4-5k which i dont believe you would.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Thanks for all the input guys I appreciate it, I put quite a bit of thought into, and Im pretty sure that the only way this is going to plan out is if I can get my hands on HPF's piggyback, or and would pretty hard for me to try and throw on a stand alone, without completely having to get some bmw tech to allow the stock dme to lose complete control of all functions, cuz even the HPF's still has the stock dme controll some critical tuning options, and off the topic a lil bit, how far has anyone heard an boosted s54 go on 93-91 octane?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2056 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by M3D3von Click here to enlarge
    Thanks for all the input guys I appreciate it, I put quite a bit of thought into, and Im pretty sure that the only way this is going to plan out is if I can get my hands on HPF's piggyback, or and would pretty hard for me to try and throw on a stand alone, without completely having to get some bmw tech to allow the stock dme to lose complete control of all functions, cuz even the HPF's still has the stock dme controll some critical tuning options, and off the topic a lil bit, how far has anyone heard an boosted s54 go on 93-91 octane?
    HPF has crossed 600 whp with 91 on meth.

You won't get your hands on HPF's AEM setup without everything else to go with it Click here to enlarge
    Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale: http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

yup..as i stated in my earlier post, HPF's engine management is exclusive to their kit.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

okay thanks for the that info, another ponder i have is, has anyone found any aftermarket cams or head for the s54? I saw that VAC Motorsports has 1-3 stage head avalible? would the tuning from hpf be able take advantage of the higher flowing head, even with the DME still controlling some aspects of the motor?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2056 Post(s)

okay thanks for the that info, another ponder i have is, has anyone found any aftermarket cams or head for the s54? I saw that VAC Motorsports has 1-3 stage head avalible? would the tuning from hpf be able take advantage of the higher flowing head, even with the DME still controlling some aspects of the motor?
    The heads are pretty good so they are probably the last thing you want to look at. You can hit over 900 wheel with the stock heads so they are not really a limiting factor. VAC claims to have heads but I don't know how confident I would be in them. There are a couple good head shops that could do work on them for you if you really want to.

Cams are available from schrick.
    Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale: http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast