Close

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2106 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by FR305 Click here to enlarge
    If BMW offered the DCT on the 1M you would see that 90% of the buyers would opt for it.
    Yes and they should have offered DCT. Car would be much closer to stepping on the M3's toes with it. I say make the best M car you can.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Some people wouldn't agree that a DCT would be putting it closer to the best "M" car they could make.

If this were only about laptimes then they should quit selling these pigs with interiors and sound insulation and such....

Some people take this "M"otorsport thing way too seriously.... sorry but your M3 is not a race car, although sure you can use it to compete, just like anything else.....

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2106 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by SlicktopTTZ Click here to enlarge
    Some people wouldn't agree that a DCT would be putting it closer to the best "M" car they could make.
    Strictly performance wise it would be an improvement.

Some people take this "M"otorsport thing way too seriously.... sorry but your M3 is not a race car, although sure you can use it to compete, just like anything else.....
    They should change it to the marketing division then Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    Strictly performance wise it would be an improvement.

They should change it to the marketing division then Click here to enlarge
    Strictly fun wise it wouldn't be an improvement, at least to me.

The M division has been about marketing since after the first e30 M3 they created for homologation rules of the racing series they participated in. Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2106 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Strictly fun wise it wouldn't be an improvement, at least to me.
    That I completely understand which is why there should be an option, like on the M3.

The M division has been about marketing since after the first e30 M3 they created for homologation rules of the racing series they participated in.
    Like with the E36 lightweight? E39 M5? M3 CSL? M3 GTR? M5 V10 which they marketed as having similarities to their Formula 1 effort? Like the S65 block being built in the Formula 1 factory sharing the same materials as the F1 blocks? Like the M3 V8 allowing them to race with a V8 in ALMS? Come on.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I agree about it being an option, I love options, and I would opt for the manual.

You even just mentioned marketing. They market their M cars by having some simularities to their motorsport vehicles. The 1M has all the M3 competion suspension and drive-train parts, and even a heat exchanger just for the 6-speed, so they market it as an M car, which makes sense.

Your block is about the only thing the same as the M3 race car, engine-wise. All the internals, even the crank, is changed for the street version. Who's to say that Direct Injection or their turbocharging experience wasn't derived from motorsports?

Anyway, the 1M isn't trying to be a race car, it's just a cool car that I want to and can realisticly own.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2106 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    You even just mentioned marketing. They market their M cars by having some simularities to their motorsport vehicles. The 1M has all the M3 competion suspension and drive-train parts, and even a heat exchanger just for the 6-speed, so they market it as an M car, which makes sense.
    No because there is no Motorsport motor. BMW doesn't go racing with just any engine because of the suspension and brakes. They NEEDED a V8, as in, the M3 V8.

Your block is about the only thing the same as the M3 race car, engine-wise. All the internals, even the crank, is changed for the street version. Who's to say that Direct Injection or their turbocharging experience wasn't derived from motorsports?
    I can tell you it wasn't derived from motorsports because the N54 was built for the masses and efficiency, not for Motorsport. BMW at the time was not racing anything resembling an N54. They still aren't. They never have. Yes, the P series engines are changed for racing but they still have similarities to the production V8.

Anyway, the 1M isn't trying to be a race car, it's just a cool car that I want to and can realisticly own.
    It is a cool car. But M cars were always more than that. The M division was special. They build race cars and race motors. They built the McLaren F1 motor. They don't just take base motors and give the car any suspension and now it is an M. That just doesn't sound M.

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910