Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)

Question Attention computer junkies - I need some advice

I know there are at least a few guys on here who know a lot about bad ass computer setups. So I know if I will find this info anywhere, it will be here. I'm looking to revamp my CAD computer here at work. It's currently has 4 160gb hard drives utilizing a raid console. It has 2 sticks of 2gb ram. Some type of NVidia graphics card.

This computer was built over 6 years ago and I feel it has seen it's days. Two of the hard drives have failed and it is just too damn slow. It barely even works at all.

I'm looking for a not too expensive upgrade to this computer. If possible, I would like to just buy new components and use the current tower. If any of you guys could advise on some good ss hard drives and a nice video card that would help a lot. Or if you have a recommendation for a different setup that would be ok.

Also, how do you determine the maximum capacity for RAM? I know this board has four slots and only two are utilized. What would be the best configuration for this type of work?

I also have another identical computer that will be setup in my office as my secondary CAD computer. I would like to setup this computer the same way but it doesn't need to be as monstrous and the main CAD computer.

Thanks for the help!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2055 Post(s)

Honestly, 6 year old computer you are best just throwing it away and starting over. Re-using the tower may not even be possible depending on its layout with newer components.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

^basically what sticky said.

Also, to prevent loss of data, run it in Raid 5 which is mirror and stripe, so you'll get the speed of raid 0 with the reliability of raid 1.

I actually just got into CAD over the weekend....reading CAD for dummies. Had to do a quick plot of a floor plan...

Honestly, you can build yourself a decent CAD rig with great graphics for sub $~6-700 bucks that will last you 6 years if not more.
    I picked up a Q9505 (intel core 2 quad processor) for $150 bucks 6-8 months ago, and it is very close to my brother's $300 i7 processor. My entire rig cost about~ $500 because I already had the case.

Let us know what your budget is and we'll get you going Click here to enlarge
    p.s. a 24" monitor is a must if not dual-displays.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)

Hello,

Here at our company we use extremely heavy CAD and computation software. What you are using is literally a ford model T for computers. For example, our floor has 50 engineers working on anything ranging from CAD (3D modeling of turbine blades, vanes, rotors, casings, bearings etc...) which are very very detail intensive to full 3D CFD models with over 9 million nodes.

The computers we use at a bare minimum must have 4 cores and 16 gigs to function comfortably. Some of us have only 2 cores and 8 gigs and one video card. We have things called run boxes which are computers with no graphics cards, just 12 xenon processors and 32 gigs of ram used solely to run CFD and structural analysis. This is just an example of one extreme, and we are barely able to complete one 3D CFD simulation in 8-9 hours.

CAD is RAM intensive, you dont need to spend a lot of money on processors. You can get yourself one good video card and 8 gigs of ram and you should be good. There are CAD specific video cards and gaming specific video cards. What CAD software are you using? I can talk to our chief and ask him what is a good setup that wont break the bank. I am looking to build a run box myself so I can run my own CFD simulations at home when I start designing intercoolers and intakes in the future.

Looking for 8 core i7 with 32 gigs ram and 2 video cards 64 bit machine. I dont know how to build it yet, but I will.
    Some people live long, meaningful lives.

Other people eat shit and die.

I'm not racist, I hate everybody equally; especially fat people.

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    172 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    Honestly, 6 year old computer you are best just throwing it away and starting over. Re-using the tower may not even be possible depending on its layout with newer components.
    True, but most set ups are ATX or Micro ATX which are compatible. Newegg.com have good combos on motherboard and CPU's. ddr3 ram is mostly the new updated one. With a Pci express video card. I built my own computer, even tho its a few years old still running fast and great. Hit me up if you need any help since we're close by.
    Burger Motorsports
    Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, S55s, N63s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)

Oh yea forgot to add,

NEWEGG +1

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)

Programs used are solidworks 2008 and mastercam x. Both capable of 3d modeling. Let me check the bank and I'll report back with a budget.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)

solidworks isn't too bad on your graphics, mastercam shouldnt be terrible either. Are you doing any manufacturing? Because that is what mastercam is usually used for.

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by DBFIU Click here to enlarge
    solidworks isn't too bad on your graphics, mastercam shouldnt be terrible either. Are you doing any manufacturing? Because that is what mastercam is usually used for.
    Yea. I am using Solidworks for 3D prototyping and design and mastercam for machining.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)

So would you guys recommend I replace all components or can I use the existing motherboard? In other words, what components should I replace so I can start shopping.

CPU?
    Motherboard?
    RAM?
    Graphics?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)

Where would I find the model number of my current motherboard?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)

Computers are so cheap nowadays i would just build a new one. You shouldnt need to spend more than 800 assuming you have a monitor. For what you want to do a dual core 8 gig DDR3 machine with a good graphics card is probably fine. Harddrives are so cheap no too, it's pretty much a no brainer to start fresh for peice of mind at these prices.

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Go with an nvidia 500 series video card and 8 - 16GB of RAM depending on the motherboard. Get a Core i7 and rule the earth.

You really don't need RAID for CAD work. Its processing, math, and rendering. There's not much needed in terms of disk write/read speed unless you're texturing but I doubt you are.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Quick glance at em,

That CPU will be just fine, good solid quad core but it'd look for one of the newer i7's

The motherboard you chose does not include a CPU

memory seems good, they do sell packages of 4x4gb sticks see if you can find one, or just buy 4 of those

Harddrives are fine

and are you reusing your tower? you may need to buy a new PSU to power everything as well
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

I've deemed this the computer junkies thread and will consequently post all my nerdy ish in here.

Just got done modding this:
    Click here to enlarge

With a dremel and several days later...turned it into this:
    Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2055 Post(s)

Pretty good work there!
    Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale: http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Yeah, for custom stuff, I thought it wasn't too shabby for a first attempt.

I am, however, jealous of my brother's rig Click here to enlarge

He just spent a good $500 on water cooling

Click here to enlarge

Spent another $200 for his "color paste" and some other random $#@!.

For me...it's cheap thrills.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by DarkPhantom Click here to enlarge
    Yeah, for custom stuff, I thought it wasn't too shabby for a first attempt.

I am, however, jealous of my brother's rig Click here to enlarge

He just spent a good $500 on water cooling

http://www.bimmerboost.com/images/im...661528_1-1.jpg

Spent another $200 for his "color paste" and some other random $#@!.

For me...it's cheap thrills.
    can we get more pics of that! i shall take pics of my 6 year old rig soon Click here to enlarge my $#@! is so outdated lol
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

Will do once his stuff arrives later this week Click here to enlarge Consider that a teaser Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

Not going to jinx it just yet...but I just found someone on craig's who sold me a i7 3770k and a 2700k for $400 shipped o_O

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)

You can use your old case to build your new PC from.
    But you can only use the empty shell.
    You will need:
    CPU , the more cores the better
    Motherboard. You will need a new one. Newest chipset, new interfaces, capable of more memory
    Memory. For CAD, 16Gb is nice to have
    FPU (probably 700W or more)
    HDU's (2 minimum for fast responce, if money is no issue SSD for OS, big HDU for data. Try keeping your OS and data disks in separate drives if possible)
    Graphic card. This is where you can run wild in your budget. Look not for a gaming card, there are cards specially for CAD, but they are even more expensive then a mainstream gaming card. For graphic card anything in the $200,- range will do.
    OS Windows 7 professional or Ultimate. Ultimate if you want RAID of any sort via OS.
    Not sure about prices in $, but $600 would be a challenge for a CAD capable PC.
    There are two theories to arguing with women. Neither one works

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)

$500 for water cooling??? You can get a compressor and lines for a freon cooling system for much less! That's rip off IMO.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sorena Click here to enlarge
    $500 for water cooling??? You can get a compressor and lines for a freon cooling system for much less! That's rip off IMO.
    Yeah, I know...I said the same thing, but I guess he wanted the best stuff and went with compression fittings that cost $8 each...(8x10=$80 only on fittings).

Anyways, I'll post the whole build, costs, etc when all his gear gets here on thursday Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

As promised, my brother's liquid cooling setup pics:

Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast