Close

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Ok weird stutter/wobble while driving...

Hey guys, I have a slight problem, I can't log my car just yet, as I don't have anyone to control the laptop while I drive. So when I drive, I feel a wobble/stutter in my car. Sometimes it's slightly, sometimes it's quite jarring. It started a couple days ago. Around the time I put on my BMS 15 wheel spacers. So the reason I don't think it's the wheel spacers is because it's not always there, and sometimes is more apparent when I press the throttle down. I'm so confused as so why this is happening. The fact that it's sometimes more apparent when I accelerate makes me think it's the HPFP going bad again. But I won't quite know until I can log it and even then it won't be certain until I get a code. Any one know of any reasons why this could be happening? I plan on taking my wheel spacers off and testing it when I get home from my apartment. But any ideas or experiences anyone has would help! Thanks! Wish me luck! Click here to enlarge
    BimmerBoost's Resident n00b...Click here to enlarge

Titanium Silver 2003 335 Ci || Premium Package || Sport Package || SOLD
    Sapphire Metallic Black 2008 535i || Custom Mandrel Bend Borla Exhaust || BMS Spacers || CMS Pro Meth Kit || JB4 || BMS DCI || SOLD
    Alpine White 2012 C63 Coupe || AMG Development Package || Multimedia Package || Lighting Package || LEASE ENDED
    Alpine White 2015 M3 || Driver Assistance Plus || Executive Package || Lighting Package || M Double-clutch and Adaptive M Suspension ||

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)

So you've checked for codes? I'm suprised it doesn't throw a code if its that noticable.
    Click here to enlarge
    ESS 6XX kit

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)

Is it the engine shuttering, or the chassis? I would double check that all the lug bolts are torqued enough.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

Just hit start on your laptop, set it on the seat. Then do some runs. Afterwards, hit stop. Click here to enlarge you got logs.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

It's hard to tell if it's the chassis or the engine. Sometimes it feels like it comes from the engine, much like the time my HPFP went bad, other times it feels like it comes from the back. I feel like it's not the lug nuts because it isn't a constant or constant frequency shuttering or wobbling. It's the same for a while, then I'll press the gas, it'll get worse, and then when I let off it'll stop...I don't know it's really weird. I drove on a FRESHLY paved road the other night and it still wobbled quite a bit. I have no clue, I think I'm going to go get a balance/alignment done on my car tomorrow to see if that helps, after I test the spacers by taking them off. I did test the torque on the lug nuts today and they were tight, and I retightened them the same way. So no clue. I also checked the spacer alignment and they are basically flush with the standard wheel mount. bleh...

Sapphire Metallic Black 2008 535i || Custom Mandrel Bend Borla Exhaust || BMS Spacers || CMS Pro Meth Kit || JB4 || BMS DCI || SOLD
    Alpine White 2012 C63 Coupe || AMG Development Package || Multimedia Package || Lighting Package || LEASE ENDED
    Alpine White 2015 M3 || Driver Assistance Plus || Executive Package || Lighting Package || M Double-clutch and Adaptive M Suspension ||

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

Have you driven over any deep potholes or done anything that would affect your suspension in any way?

If possible, maybe get a friend to drive with you in another car and see if anything is off.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Hmm, might do that...I don't think that the suspension should be off in any way. I think it might've been the race I was in, because previously my HPFP got messed up when I pushed it too hard on the JB3 (my dumb mistake), and it started the same way. So I might've pushed it too far with the race against that 335i and pushed it to the point of going bad again haha...hopefully I just need a balance or something stupid like that...we'll see.

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

Well, read the codes if any and see if the dealer will replace your HPFP.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)

Can you remove the spacers and drive around for a few days?
    It just sounds too coincidental to have this malfunction appear as you put on a modification.
    Probably just need to remove the rear spacers, because your problems start when you put torque on your rear wheels.
    If the front spacers would cause problems you would start feeling wobbles under braking.
    There are two theories to arguing with women. Neither one works

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    I have an 08 535i sport as well, JB4 w/ dci... I have also been having a problem with stutter/stumble in higher rpm intermittently... I was recently told when I was in for maintenance that there is a TSB or voluntary recall for injectors and HPFP for my vehicle... Besides the stutter/stumble, ive had a couple long cranks, cars gone into limp mode a couple times out of nowhere (mostly within 30 sec of starting car), check engine lights out of nowhere, and misfires on startup (no codes)... Pulled codes with the JB4 and had mostly tuner codes but I don't think it's a coincidence... The HPFP has been replaced in my car twice already, last time was about 10k miles ago... I'm gonna take the car in for the TSB/recall so I can get this problem taken care of before I install meth... Do these sound like the same problems ur having???... BTW I'm planning on doin some logs as well to try to catch and recreate the stutter...

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2055 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by DavidV Click here to enlarge
    Can you remove the spacers and drive around for a few days?
    This way you would know for sure if it is the spacers or the motor.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    626 Post(s)

Unless you knocked a wheel weight off vibration won't be related to the spacers. Feel free to capture it on a log and email that in if you wind up needing help.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

I have no clue what it could be...when I get a chance I'm going to be taking the wheels off again and then making sure everything is how it should be...then I'll be driving without them then putting them back on to see if there is a difference. I dunno though with my last minute surgery coming up...haha...hopefully soon! :\

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

I've just woken up from the grogginess of the general anesthesia and pain meds they gave me and I took the car out for a spin. Maybe it was because I might've still been drugged up or whatever, but after a good rain, it seems like the wobble is out and the car is smooth again. But I'm driving back up to my apartment on Wednesday to get my DP's put in so I should be able to test it out on the 2 hour drive up there again. Hopefully, something just happened and it seated perfectly. >_<

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2055 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by hworang00 Click here to enlarge
    I've just woken up from the grogginess of the general anesthesia and pain meds they gave me and I took the car out for a spin. Maybe it was because I might've still been drugged up or whatever, but after a good rain, it seems like the wobble is out and the car is smooth again. But I'm driving back up to my apartment on Wednesday to get my DP's put in so I should be able to test it out on the 2 hour drive up there again. Hopefully, something just happened and it seated perfectly. >_<
    Let us know how you like the DP's.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

OH I will sir, yes I will Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

So...I took my car to get it looked at cuz the wobble came back. The guy put it up on the lift and then called me over...he spun the wheels and then showed me that there was a bend in all 4 of my rims. I took it by the BMW place and they gave me a pamphlet to a local company that can fix them and they said that it would be able 100-150 per rim...There goes the money for the meth that I've saved up... :\ I have no idea how this happened though, I think it was the $#@!ing retards that put my new tires on a few months ago cuz they had scratched the hell out of the rims and they replaced those after a huge discussion with me...Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Wait not replaced...repaired :\

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2055 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by hworang00 Click here to enlarge
    So...I took my car to get it looked at cuz the wobble came back. The guy put it up on the lift and then called me over...he spun the wheels and then showed me that there was a bend in all 4 of my rims. I took it by the BMW place and they gave me a pamphlet to a local company that can fix them and they said that it would be able 100-150 per rim...There goes the money for the meth that I've saved up... :\ I have no idea how this happened though, I think it was the $#@!ing retards that put my new tires on a few months ago cuz they had scratched the hell out of the rims and they replaced those after a huge discussion with me...Click here to enlarge
    Bends in all 4 rims? Wow, well at least you found out what was causing it.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Yeah, I have no clue as to how that happened...but oh well...looks like another month or two before I can buy my Meth kit and go after 3's :\

Click here to enlarge