Close

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Just read that the E63 is lighter than the new M5. That is sad.

The 5.5L twin turbo in the Benz is pure win.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2056 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by M3_WC Click here to enlarge
    Just read that the E63 is lighter than the new M5. That is sad.
    Ugh, yes it is sad.

The 5.5L twin turbo in the Benz is pure win.
    Mercedes has BMW beat on pure power.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    Ugh, yes it is sad.

Mercedes has BMW beat on pure power.
    Could it possibly have it beat in other aspects as well?

The thing is I remember when the W212 E63 came out, it was put up against the E60 M5 in comparos. There were some reviews that like the E63 steering/handling over the E60 M5.

Most bmw fans just said "wait until the next M5." But the problem is the weight of the new M5, how could it possible handle better than the lighter E60 M5.

I guess we will wait for the reviews. BMW usually never fails with "driving dynamics" in their M-cars.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2056 Post(s)

Could it possibly have it beat in other aspects as well?

The thing is I remember when the W212 E63 came out, it was put up against the E60 M5 in comparos. There were some reviews that like the E63 steering/handling over the E60 M5.

Most bmw fans just said "wait until the next M5." But the problem is the weight of the new M5, how could it possible handle better than the lighter E60 M5.

I guess we will wait for the reviews. BMW usually never fails with "driving dynamics" in their M-cars.
    Manufacturers are getting better at making heavy cars handle. The GTR, Panamera, etc. The F10 should smack the E60 around but looks like that will mostly be due to the power.

If it wasn't for that DCT Mercedes would have a bit of an advantage.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Not impressed.

I had a discussion with Dan last night, and I think the one above them all is still Caddy. They were aiming for the M5 and destroyed it..and I dont think this one will have any advantage around the nurburgring against the CTSV.

Hmm. M5 with a truck engine, or a CTS-V which is like 20k cheaper, and just as good interior. Hmm that 20k I would throw a whole bunch of work at the CTSV and have a car that would run circles around the M5, driving dynamic bull$#@! or not.

People who know me know that I am very Pro-BMW, and I will defend it to the end. It takes a lot to admit that Caddy and Benz have made very good cars that equal, and in some areas surpass the M division.

I was at least expecting a higher redline, and some more hp over the trucks. But seems they went the generic route, and stuffed the same engine and trans combo in, and called it a performance car.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2056 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Matt@Camber-Toe Click here to enlarge
    Hmm. M5 with a truck engine, or a CTS-V which is like 20k cheaper, and just as good interior. Hmm that 20k I would throw a whole bunch of work at the CTSV and have a car that would run circles around the M5, driving dynamic bull$#@! or not.
    CTS-V is heavier and no DCT option. The M5 will run circles around it, watch. The CTS-V for its power level isn't all that fast.

The new M5 will be in the 123 trap speed range or so IMO.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2056 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Matt@Camber-Toe Click here to enlarge
    I was at least expecting a higher redline, and some more hp over the trucks. But seems they went the generic route, and stuffed the same engine and trans combo in, and called it a performance car.
    They can't really go all that much higher. Looks to be around 7100 or so, 300 rpm more than the trucks.

This is the problem with M now though, they will be stuffing the same engines and transmissions in everything. I have been saying this for some time.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Not impressed with the exterior or the interior.
    But that engine bay is beastly--that thing needs a plexi hoodClick here to enlarge

Seriously, why not a more aggressive body kit?
    How many M customers would be turned off by some more aggressive lines and buldgesClick here to enlarge

I won't be leaving the AMG family anytime soon.Click here to enlarge
    2011 C63 ///AMG / BLK on BLK / P31 / LSD / CF Trim / Keyless Go / Rear Camera / All the other stuff too!!
    Click here to enlarge
    2011 X3 2.8 Vermillion Red/Black loaded

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2056 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by P31-C63 Click here to enlarge
    Not impressed with the exterior or the interior.
    But that engine bay is beastly--that thing needs a plexi hoodClick here to enlarge

Seriously, why not a more aggressive body kit?
    How many M customers would be turned off by some more aggressive lines and buldgesClick here to enlarge

I won't be leaving the AMG family anytime soon.Click here to enlarge
    This is the generation where AMG has a real shot to dethrone BMW.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

This is the generation where AMG has a real shot to dethrone BMW.
    I think it's already been done, there's just a lot of people left in denialClick here to enlargeClick here to enlargeClick here to enlarge
    2011 C63 ///AMG / BLK on BLK / P31 / LSD / CF Trim / Keyless Go / Rear Camera / All the other stuff too!!
    Click here to enlarge
    2011 X3 2.8 Vermillion Red/Black loaded

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

The CTS-V with an interior equal to the M5? Oookkkk! He'll the CTS-V's interior isn't even as nice as my 550i and this is coming from someone who is not pro-BMW. I test drove the CTS-V and the E550 then went and bought my first BMW. No doubt you can make the caddy stupid fast with less than the m5 cost stock but IMO the caddy isn't that nice specially the interior. The E63 with the 5.5 V8TT that is badass and we'll have to see if I can get my 550i to that level asap.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2056 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by P31-C63 Click here to enlarge
    I think it's already been done, there's just a lot of people left in denialClick here to enlargeClick here to enlargeClick here to enlarge
    Perhaps... we'll see Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2056 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Jimefam Click here to enlarge
    The CTS-V with an interior equal to the M5? Oookkkk! He'll the CTS-V's interior isn't even as nice as my 550i and this is coming from someone who is not pro-BMW. I test drove the CTS-V and the E550 then went and bought my first BMW. No doubt you can make the caddy stupid fast with less than the m5 cost stock but IMO the caddy isn't that nice specially the interior. The E63 with the 5.5 V8TT that is badass and we'll have to see if I can get my 550i to that level asap.
    With the twin turbo V8 modability may actually be in the BMW's favor.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I'm not gonna overdo the CTSV thing, but I'll tell you what I think having just bought one; I am glad I bought one considering the difference in performance is not very significant. It really isnt comparing the numbers. The m5 will not go around the ring much faster than the V, and if it does, it will be maybe a few seconds. Even that may be a stretch if you consider the panamera turbo does it in only 3 seconds faster than the V. The M5 will kill the panamera turbo before it affects the V market. considering the price range of a V, it's in M3 and RS5 territory, not M5.

If an M5 pulls up to me and smokes me, so be it, I could really care less, considering how much I spent Click here to enlarge

I will definitely be jealous of the looks of the M5 and possibly the interior, but not too much though haha
    Click here to enlarge
    Current:
    2010 CTS-V Sedan

Previous:
    2007 e92 335i

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)

for the money i would buy CTS-V for sure mate. The important thing is you like it, the rest is BS.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2056 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by alq80 Click here to enlarge
    I'm not gonna overdo the CTSV thing, but I'll tell you what I think having just bought one; I am glad I bought one considering the difference in performance is not very significant.
    I realize this isn't about the CTS or M5 but I'm just really impressed with your use of the semicolon in your post. People rarely use it, I need to start incorporating it into my posts as well.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)

lol

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

The m5 will not go around the ring much faster than the V, and if it does, it will be maybe a few seconds. Even that may be a stretch if you consider the panamera turbo does it in only 3 seconds faster than the V.
    Yup, I remember ready somewhere yesterday BMW "hopes" to break the 8 min mark. So I don't see it being a whole lot quicker around the ring than the CTS-V.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

With the twin turbo V8 modability may actually be in the BMW's favor.
    Interested to see what tuning advantage the E63 has being over a full liter more in displacement.

What turbos are being used on either engine?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2056 Post(s)

Interested to see what tuning advantage the E63 has being over a full liter more in displacement.

What turbos are being used on either engine?
    The S63 turbos are some kind of modified Garrett GT22's. On the M157 in the E63 I have no idea.

The E63 with the performance package will have a significant advantage stock for stock but it's turbos are basically maxed at that point.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Alot more to making power than just displacement, that being said the CTS-V is IMO the hands down winner in the performance category. Maybe not stock but as noted above IF it loses it won't be by much, however few people on a site like this care about stock as we like to mod and in that sense the V will smoke both the M5 and E63. Hell there are people making 800+ on V's right now and it will be along time before we see that out of either German car.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I realize this isn't about the CTS or M5 but I'm just really impressed with your use of the semicolon in your post. People rarely use it, I need to start incorporating it into my posts as well.
    LOL man you make funny comments sometimes. I do have to say though, regardless of performance, I actually think the end-all argument is that an M5 is a status symbol more than it is a pure driving machine. It is $#@!ing great, but people notice who is driving what these days Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    Current:
    2010 CTS-V Sedan

Previous:
    2007 e92 335i

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

I actually think the end-all argument is that an M5 is a status symbol more than it is a pure driving machine.
    This is true. Basically this whole segment is like that. Not exactly track cars, they are autobahn missiles.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)

Alot more to making power than just displacement, that being said the CTS-V is IMO the hands down winner in the performance category. Maybe not stock but as noted above IF it loses it won't be by much, however few people on a site like this care about stock as we like to mod and in that sense the V will smoke both the M5 and E63. Hell there are people making 800+ on V's right now and it will be along time before we see that out of either German car.

This is true. Apparently the transmissions are good for 1000hp before they need to be opened up for work...the 6MTs around 800ish...at that point I think the clutch would have to be some outrageous twin or triple disc clutch, which right there turns the car from a decent daily driver to weekend car only...you think I wanna get stuck in traffic with that? I have a hard time fighting myself if I bought one, whether it would be auto or manual..

I got to drive my friends F10 550xi...and it is very nice....but for $920 a month lease I think I will pass. I could get a 535 and go with that, but working for a somewhat well known shop around these parts makes you want to have the biggest and best to show off your work. I might..and this is a big might, spring for the new F30 come this November. I had the E90 335 barely 2 months into 2007, and no one had ANYTHING out for that car at the time, other than a $1500 Procede that was basically 50 cents in resistors.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2056 Post(s)

I wouldn't be so sure this time around. The M5 has headroom until 700 hp with bolt on's. The E63 is going to be a beast as well.

Bollt on vs. bolt on I think the M5 wins due to weight and the DCT vs. the CTS-V. It will also be faster stock for stock.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12