Close

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

Slight wobble with BMS spacers & car lower??

I installed my 15mm rear spacers a few weeks ago, and immediately noticed a slight wobble when easing off at 140km/h, and also a more intense wobble at 180km/h.

So I removed the wheels, re-set the spacers, spun them around a few times to ensure even distribution of the anti-seize.

This worked fine for a few days, then the wobble returned. Just to check, I completely removed the spacers, and the car was smooth as silk at any speed.

I really want to keep these on, because the look is fantastic .. any ideas? I've cleaned, torqued in the star pattern, etc etc.

Also, my car seems to sit lower now .. before I could just about squeeze my floor jack under the rear jacking points .. but now I have to reverse onto a plank of wood to get the jack under! ? I don't really want to figure out the math, but is this what happens when you push out neg-cambered wheels?
    ~

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Sounds to me like the spacers aren't perfectly balanced.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2088 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by bigup Click here to enlarge
    I installed my 15mm rear spacers a few weeks ago, and immediately noticed a slight wobble when easing off at 140km/h, and also a more intense wobble at 180km/h.
    I suggest asking Matt@Camber-Toe what can be done to eliminate the wobble.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Hmm .. I'm going to remove them again tonight .. was doing some spirited driving this morning to escape from a diesel truck that was tailgating me, and the car wobbled lots. Felt unsafe Click here to enlarge
    ~

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2088 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by bigup Click here to enlarge
    Hmm .. I'm going to remove them again tonight .. was doing some spirited driving this morning to escape from a diesel truck that was tailgating me, and the car wobbled lots. Felt unsafe Click here to enlarge
    Let us know how it feels with them gone.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Hmm I just installed my BMS rear wheel spacers and I can't tell if it's wheel wobble or my HPFP is going bad again...but it wobbles also...didn't notice it before, might've been there but just never noticed it. I need to log a run to see if it's the HPFP, boost leak, or the spacers, but let us know how you fixed/what the problem was! GL
    BimmerBoost's Resident n00b...Click here to enlarge

Titanium Silver 2003 335 Ci || Premium Package || Sport Package || SOLD
    Sapphire Metallic Black 2008 535i || Custom Mandrel Bend Borla Exhaust || BMS Spacers || CMS Pro Meth Kit || JB4 || BMS DCI || SOLD
    Alpine White 2012 C63 Coupe || AMG Development Package || Multimedia Package || Lighting Package || LEASE ENDED
    Alpine White 2015 M3 || Driver Assistance Plus || Executive Package || Lighting Package || M Double-clutch and Adaptive M Suspension ||

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I came to the conclusion that it must have been the anti-seize -- I re-set the spacers again, drove a few hundred km's, and for the most part, my wobble has resolved itself at all speeds.
    ~

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    You mean there was too much? Or...

Sapphire Metallic Black 2008 535i || Custom Mandrel Bend Borla Exhaust || BMS Spacers || CMS Pro Meth Kit || JB4 || BMS DCI || SOLD
    Alpine White 2012 C63 Coupe || AMG Development Package || Multimedia Package || Lighting Package || LEASE ENDED
    Alpine White 2015 M3 || Driver Assistance Plus || Executive Package || Lighting Package || M Double-clutch and Adaptive M Suspension ||

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by hworang00 Click here to enlarge
    You mean there was too much? Or...
    Yeah, I'm thinking I was a bit over-generous !
    ~

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Ah ok...I might try to re-seat my spacers then...btw can you describe the wobble a bit? I have a weird wobble that's kind of hard to explain and it seems to change quite a bit while driving...

Click here to enlarge