Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 67
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Baltimore, MD
    Posts
    750
    Rep Points
    698.9
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    7


    Yes Reputation No

    Other cooling options for the N54?

    I need to get an FMIC fabricated but right now I'm waiting on my DP's to come in so they can look at the car all at one time and figure it out to save me some money. But in the meantime, since it is summer and I'm in NC where it gets pretty hot and my car is black. I was wondering what other cooling options for my car there are? I have BMS DCI, but I heard that using the RPI scoop and the stock OEM air box gives pretty good gains (dunno about the difference between the two) but with the scoop I wonder if it will run slightly cooler...any ideas would help and any logs or links would help also. Thanks as always guys!
    BimmerBoost's Resident n00b...Click here to enlarge

    Titanium Silver 2003 335 Ci || Premium Package || Sport Package || SOLD
    Sapphire Metallic Black 2008 535i || Custom Mandrel Bend Borla Exhaust || BMS Spacers || CMS Pro Meth Kit || JB4 || BMS DCI || SOLD
    Alpine White 2012 C63 Coupe || AMG Development Package || Multimedia Package || Lighting Package || LEASE ENDED
    Alpine White 2015 M3 || Driver Assistance Plus || Executive Package || Lighting Package || M Double-clutch and Adaptive M Suspension ||

    Click here to enlarge

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Simi Valley, CA
    Posts
    8,083
    Rep Points
    9,061.7
    Mentioned
    638 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    91


    Yes Reputation No
    JB4 max cool mode helps a bit! Click here to enlarge

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Baltimore, MD
    Posts
    750
    Rep Points
    698.9
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    7



    Yes Reputation No
    how do I turn that on? haha
    BimmerBoost's Resident n00b...Click here to enlarge

    Titanium Silver 2003 335 Ci || Premium Package || Sport Package || SOLD
    Sapphire Metallic Black 2008 535i || Custom Mandrel Bend Borla Exhaust || BMS Spacers || CMS Pro Meth Kit || JB4 || BMS DCI || SOLD
    Alpine White 2012 C63 Coupe || AMG Development Package || Multimedia Package || Lighting Package || LEASE ENDED
    Alpine White 2015 M3 || Driver Assistance Plus || Executive Package || Lighting Package || M Double-clutch and Adaptive M Suspension ||

    Click here to enlarge

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Boynton Beach, FL
    Posts
    1,209
    Rep Points
    1,449.2
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    0


    Yes Reputation No
    Does anybody know what type of fitting are used to attach to the stock oil cooler core? I would love to be able to just buy a larger core and put it on, or put -an fittings at the ends of the stock oil lines.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    118,917
    Rep Points
    31,886.8
    Mentioned
    2093 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    319


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by BoostAddict Click here to enlarge
    Does anybody know what type of fitting are used to attach to the stock oil cooler core? I would love to be able to just buy a larger core and put it on, or put -an fittings at the ends of the stock oil lines.
    Probably should go with a tried and true solution but bump for someone who has the answer.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Boynton Beach, FL
    Posts
    1,209
    Rep Points
    1,449.2
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    0


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    Probably should go with a tried and true solution but bump for someone who has the answer.
    ehh maybe. I refuse to pay $600 though for something I could build myself with universal parts for less than $250.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    118,917
    Rep Points
    31,886.8
    Mentioned
    2093 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    319


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by BoostAddict Click here to enlarge
    ehh maybe. I refuse to pay $600 though for something I could build myself with universal parts for less than $250.
    Hey, I'm all for it and would love to see it with a DIY.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Boynton Beach, FL
    Posts
    1,209
    Rep Points
    1,449.2
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    0


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    Hey, I'm all for it and would love to see it with a DIY.
    I probably won't do it until Winter time when I start tracking this car. Plus my warranty ends in November, and it won't exactly be something I can switch back to stock.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    13,468
    Rep Points
    58.0
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    0


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by BoostAddict Click here to enlarge
    Does anybody know what type of fitting are used to attach to the stock oil cooler core? I would love to be able to just buy a larger core and put it on, or put -an fittings at the ends of the stock oil lines.
    its easy to make your own kit, its the attaching to oil houseing that gets the extra $$ if you dont already have a factory oil cooler

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    1,386
    Rep Points
    375.4
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    4


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by LostMarine Click here to enlarge
    its easy to make your own kit, its the attaching to oil houseing that gets the extra $$ if you dont already have a factory oil cooler
    +1 putting together your own oil cooler kit is a breeze and cheap too. A semi related question is can you run a mix of premium and E85 in these cars? I know that was originally a source supposedly of the HPFP failures but I doubt BMW wouldn't have swapped to Teflon seals already if that was the case. If you could run some E85 in there to make say E50 that would have a huge effect on cooling.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    118,917
    Rep Points
    31,886.8
    Mentioned
    2093 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    319


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Jimefam Click here to enlarge
    +1 putting together your own oil cooler kit is a breeze and cheap too. A semi related question is can you run a mix of premium and E85 in these cars? I know that was originally a source supposedly of the HPFP failures but I doubt BMW wouldn't have swapped to Teflon seals already if that was the case. If you could run some E85 in there to make say E50 that would have a huge effect on cooling.
    Some people mentioned the ethanol content of gas being a factor, I do not know what changes have been made or if this is still an issue.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Boynton Beach, FL
    Posts
    1,209
    Rep Points
    1,449.2
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    0


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Jimefam Click here to enlarge
    +1 putting together your own oil cooler kit is a breeze and cheap too. A semi related question is can you run a mix of premium and E85 in these cars? I know that was originally a source supposedly of the HPFP failures but I doubt BMW wouldn't have swapped to Teflon seals already if that was the case. If you could run some E85 in there to make say E50 that would have a huge effect on cooling.
    I remember reading a thread I think on N54tech were a few people experimented with different amounts of ethanol, and did so with success. I'll try and see if I can dig up the thread.

    EDIT: Here's one thread http://www.n54tech.com/forums/showth...light=e85+fuel I believe there was another with more comprehensive data.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    1,386
    Rep Points
    375.4
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    4


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    Some people mentioned the ethanol content of gas being a factor, I do not know what changes have been made or if this is still an issue.
    Yeah but if that were the case it would have been addressed a long time ago as that is an easy fix as theres a ton of fuel pumps that are alcohol compatible. Plus why haven't we seen other HPFP's fail as this particular design has. Wasn't there someone on this site who was gradually increasing his ethanol and gas mix to see if the car could take it?

    Edit yeah I hadn't seen that previous post. That's what I was talking about, if you could run a decent amount of E85 that should significantly help engine temps.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    118,917
    Rep Points
    31,886.8
    Mentioned
    2093 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    319


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Jimefam Click here to enlarge
    Yeah but if that were the case it would have been addressed a long time ago as that is an easy fix as theres a ton of fuel pumps that are alcohol compatible. Plus why haven't we seen other HPFP's fail as this particular design has. Wasn't there someone on this site who was gradually increasing his ethanol and gas mix to see if the car could take it?
    I don't know why other pumps don't fail like this but they don't use the same pump which may be the reason. This one does keep failing...

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    4,616
    Rep Points
    3,236.6
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    33


    Yes Reputation No
    Assuming the pump doesnt fail from the ethanol content, you have to tune for ethanol which is 9:1 AFR.
    Some people live long, meaningful lives.

    Other people eat shit and die.

    I'm not racist, I hate everybody equally; especially fat people.


    Click here to enlarge

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Pretty sure I am in Mexico
    Posts
    921
    Rep Points
    930.4
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    10


    Yes Reputation No
    but given the extra flow required with ethanol and that we already have many maxing out the stock fuel system, it may be better to just stick with gas and, if needed meth/alky
    Never thought I would see the day...
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Terry@BMS Click here to enlarge
    Life is so much more fun with a nemesis. I miss Shiv. Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Baltimore, MD
    Posts
    750
    Rep Points
    698.9
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    7



    Yes Reputation No
    Hmm, can I replace some fans or something to make them bigger instead of the FMIC right now? I heard that people do that in other cars...didn't know if it was plausible in this car though...
    BimmerBoost's Resident n00b...Click here to enlarge

    Titanium Silver 2003 335 Ci || Premium Package || Sport Package || SOLD
    Sapphire Metallic Black 2008 535i || Custom Mandrel Bend Borla Exhaust || BMS Spacers || CMS Pro Meth Kit || JB4 || BMS DCI || SOLD
    Alpine White 2012 C63 Coupe || AMG Development Package || Multimedia Package || Lighting Package || LEASE ENDED
    Alpine White 2015 M3 || Driver Assistance Plus || Executive Package || Lighting Package || M Double-clutch and Adaptive M Suspension ||

    Click here to enlarge

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    118,917
    Rep Points
    31,886.8
    Mentioned
    2093 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    319


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by hworang00 Click here to enlarge
    Hmm, can I replace some fans or something to make them bigger instead of the FMIC right now? I heard that people do that in other cars...didn't know if it was plausible in this car though...
    You want an upgraded FMIC, that is what you need.

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Baltimore, MD
    Posts
    750
    Rep Points
    698.9
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    7



    Yes Reputation No
    Haha I realize that part, but is there anything I can do until I get it? Because I"ll have Dp's in the car before they even mock up the FMIC and it start getting much hotter here in NC by the time all that is done so...just wondering if there was something I could do in the interim
    BimmerBoost's Resident n00b...Click here to enlarge

    Titanium Silver 2003 335 Ci || Premium Package || Sport Package || SOLD
    Sapphire Metallic Black 2008 535i || Custom Mandrel Bend Borla Exhaust || BMS Spacers || CMS Pro Meth Kit || JB4 || BMS DCI || SOLD
    Alpine White 2012 C63 Coupe || AMG Development Package || Multimedia Package || Lighting Package || LEASE ENDED
    Alpine White 2015 M3 || Driver Assistance Plus || Executive Package || Lighting Package || M Double-clutch and Adaptive M Suspension ||

    Click here to enlarge

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Miami Beach
    Posts
    1,094
    Rep Points
    513.1
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    6


    Yes Reputation No
    forget about the FMIC just get METH! meth ! meth ! meth all the way lol
    Click here to enlarge

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    118,917
    Rep Points
    31,886.8
    Mentioned
    2093 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    319


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by lamia2super Click here to enlarge
    forget about the FMIC just get METH! meth ! meth ! meth all the way lol
    Pretty darn good suggestion as well, you aren't going to beat meth injection.

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Miami Beach
    Posts
    1,094
    Rep Points
    513.1
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    6


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    Pretty darn good suggestion as well, you aren't going to beat meth injection.
    yup you want power and cooling meth is the way to go. its my favorite mod to date
    Click here to enlarge

  23. #23
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Baltimore, MD
    Posts
    750
    Rep Points
    698.9
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    7



    Yes Reputation No
    Hmm didn't realize that meth injection had such a good cooling qualities also...will have to look into meth injection next then...then maybe the FMIC?! haha...SO MUCH TO DO!
    BimmerBoost's Resident n00b...Click here to enlarge

    Titanium Silver 2003 335 Ci || Premium Package || Sport Package || SOLD
    Sapphire Metallic Black 2008 535i || Custom Mandrel Bend Borla Exhaust || BMS Spacers || CMS Pro Meth Kit || JB4 || BMS DCI || SOLD
    Alpine White 2012 C63 Coupe || AMG Development Package || Multimedia Package || Lighting Package || LEASE ENDED
    Alpine White 2015 M3 || Driver Assistance Plus || Executive Package || Lighting Package || M Double-clutch and Adaptive M Suspension ||

    Click here to enlarge

  24. #24
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    118,917
    Rep Points
    31,886.8
    Mentioned
    2093 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    319


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by hworang00 Click here to enlarge
    Hmm didn't realize that meth injection had such a good cooling qualities also...will have to look into meth injection next then...then maybe the FMIC?! haha...SO MUCH TO DO!
    Yes, major cooling gains.

  25. #25
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Pretty sure I am in Mexico
    Posts
    921
    Rep Points
    930.4
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    10


    1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    The BMW Performance power kit comes with a larger fan...so it can be done. I don't know of anyone who has ordered it though.
    Never thought I would see the day...
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Terry@BMS Click here to enlarge
    Life is so much more fun with a nemesis. I miss Shiv. Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •