Close

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Spoiler Painting - E46 M3 replica lip spoiler

Not sure if this is the best place to post, I recently bought a replica bmw m lip spoiler for my 2005 e46 coupe. I was looking for information on how best to paint it, I was considering dropping it at a body shop however quite fancied trying it myself. Has anyone had any sucess at spraying themselfs and any tips etc for the best finish?

Mods; feel free to move if I have posted in the wrong section (i'm new Click here to enlarge )

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2054 Post(s)

No big deal that you are new, since this is an E46 spoiler I'll just edit the prefix to reflect E46.

I have never painted any spoilers myself, but let's see if we can get you some help.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

If you have basic knowledge of paintwork. You should be fine.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

If you don't have paintgun and supplies basic stuff. Might just be cheaper to get a shop to
    do.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by BattaM3 Click here to enlarge
    If you don't have paintgun and supplies basic stuff. Might just be cheaper to get a shop to
    do.
    this, and not to mention that you cant buy enough paint for "only" a spoiler, so you are going to incur some uneeded expense there as well.

now, if you were going to try and rattlecan it yourself, it very rarely ever looks good even if a more skilled person does it. however, in my ricer days i rattlecanned the $#@! out of my share of parts...lol soooooo

first understand this part and then read it again......PREP, PREP, PREP. 99% of a good paintjob is prep......now read that again.....lol

wash the piece with some dishwashing soap like dawn, this will remove any contaiminant from manufacture or shipping, let it dry

sand it down starting with some 400 grit, then 600 grit

im assuming its made of some type of FRP, or plastic, or fiberglass, most likely FRP.....so i would most deffinetly start with some adhesion promoter, "bulldog" is my brand of choice for this and its available at pepboys, autozone, etc.......this should be your first coat, dont sand this coat.

now use a sandable primer and give it 2 thin coats, the key to a good rattlecan job is also very thin coats, many thin coats gives a better finish than a few thick ones. wait 5 mins or so between coats, then let your primer dry for an hour or 2. wetsand your primer coat with 600 grit. let it dry completely

now start your color coats, remember, thin, your first coat should look more like blood spatter than a paint coat. wait 5 mins between coats and give it at least 3 thin coats.let that dry for at least 3 hours.

wetsand your color coat with some 600 grit, then 800 grit.let it dry completely

get out your clear coat. clear can be applied a little thicker than the color coat, but still not thick, i guess you would call it a medium coat. give it 2 coats of clear waiting about 5 mins between coats. let that dry for at least 2 hours. get out your hose again.

wetsand your piece with 800 grit, then 1000 grit (you may want to go one more step with 1500 grit, but 1000 has always been enough for me)

let it dry completely and get out your rubbing compound wax and wax it like you would your car, then use a nice finish wax and sit back and admire your piece.
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by TwinturboM3
    I bang the chickens on my farm 60-130 times a day.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

2 out of 2 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Paint you can buy as small as 1/2 pint. It's clear and others stuff that can't be bought in small amounts. Good stuff cost $$$. I use alot of dupont stuff.

Raddle can comes out good to if you prep everthing but I doubt paint will match.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by BattaM3 Click here to enlarge
    Paint you can buy as small as 1/2 pint. It's clear and others stuff that can't be bought in small amounts. Good stuff cost $$$. I use alot of dupont stuff.

Raddle can comes out good to if you prep everthing but I doubt paint will match.
    good point.......

i have always had good results with paintscratch.com

they will sell you a rattlecan premixed to your OEM color code, like you said its not perfect, but really really close
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by TwinturboM3
    I bang the chickens on my farm 60-130 times a day.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

I've seen those oem color raddle cans. Seems to be hit or miss
    on matching. He might be able to get away with that for the spoiler.

What color is you car OP? Prep work is everything.

First positive rep I've seen I awhile. Lol

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Thanks for all the comments guys, appologies for not replying sooner.

Funkboy316 Looks like some good advice, thanks I will give it a go following your guide Click here to enlarge

BattaM3 Not sure what the official colour code is called its a dark grey colour, see pic below;

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)

space gray ?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

color code is inside your door jam.. I have no idea about non M colors.. just check the jam