Close

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No

E46 Update & Useful Info - White Powder

Posting this to hopefully help anyone with the same problem. So I started to notice the build up of small white partials randomly across my dash board, not a lot and hardly noticable, however every time I cleaned it the next time that the air conditioning had been on then switched off the dust would start to build up. This combined with a burning smell after the air con had been on then using the heater.

After an initial look online I found a lot of info about the newer 1,3 and 5 series having issues and a tsb however these were all on cars after april 2006. My car is a december 2005 so predates these.

Thankfully as my car is still under the BMW used car warrenty I wasnt too worried about it and checked it into my local BMW dealer. After a quick chat with them they identified it as being the air con compressor unit and set about resolving this. After a few days car is sorted and back to working better than usual.

A few points that people might want to know if experiencing the same sort of things;

1] The e46 seems to be affected by this fault, even pre 2006 cars.
    2] Despite the fault my air-con was still blowing nice and cold throughout
    3] The dust build up wasn't huge but still was the compressor fault.

The best way to describe the dust, is that it looks like small white sqaure dust almost dandruffy.

Well hope this is of some help to someone.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2066 Post(s)

Good info but how do you get it to stop blowing the white dust?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    It requires a new Air Conditioning Condensor unit, which is an entire dashboard out job. BMW will cover it under warrenty but I've heard horror stories of 2K + for doing it if your out of warrenty!!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2066 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by e46Coupe Click here to enlarge
    It requires a new Air Conditioning Condensor unit, which is an entire dashboard out job. BMW will cover it under warrenty but I've heard horror stories of 2K + for doing it if your out of warrenty!!
    Excellent info, thanks.