Close

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)

get a GranSport and spend some money on the $#@!ty interior, first of all change the stupid seats because they are good for junk yard.
    but i think you should get something FI there.

CTS-V is also a good car.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Now I'm worried that my meth kit (if it should ever arrive!) will annihilate this pump, and I'll have to rip it all out again.

Car was fine today, but I don't think I exceeded the speed limit at any given time (my daughter was in the car with me .. and I behave when I have passengers!)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sorena Click here to enlarge
    get a GranSport and spend some money on the $#@!ty interior, first of all change the stupid seats because they are good for junk yard.
    but i think you should get something FI there.

CTS-V is also a good car.
    That would be pushing it. I don't like American cars much .. the Z06 being an exception to the rule, and I can tolerate the new Mustangs too .. Click here to enlarge
    ~

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by bigup Click here to enlarge
    Now I'm worried that my meth kit (if it should ever arrive!) will annihilate this pump, and I'll have to rip it all out again.
    why, because you're demanding more with the increased power level? the meth in the mixture is a fuel too. the high pressure pumps are finicky though you're right.... some members have their original pump, some members, like me, had different life times of pump (1- 2 years, 2- 3 days, 3- good for now), and on the extreme, some members ive heard horror stories where they have gone though almost 10 pumps! but those extreme cases are really flukes, and usually with a stock or near stock car and under warranty. i also do not believe it is the increased power level that causes pump failure, LM is a testament to this theory.
    Click here to enlarge
    2007 335i Coupe
    Mods: Check the Garage

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

yea, i dont get it.. id like to say i share a secret, but i dont. 2nd pump was put in my car in '09, about 2 months before i bought it. ive never had a hpfp error/code or changed the pump.. GL with it..

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    627 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by bigup Click here to enlarge

Car was fine today, but I don't think I exceeded the speed limit at any given time (my daughter was in the car with me .. and I behave when I have passengers!)

That would be pushing it. I don't like American cars much .. the Z06 being an exception to the rule, and I can tolerate the new Mustangs too .. Click here to enlarge
    IN theory with meth you can work the pump less. We have a fuel pressure user adjustable now too if you want to lower the pressure a bit. Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I'm hoping it all holds together .. on my last pump, it was the extra 10 hp from the DCI that appeared to tip it over the edge (or extreme coincidence!).

I'm going to take the car out to play a bit later this evening! If it's going to die, I'd rather it did during the weekend, and not en-route to work.. Click here to enlarge
    ~

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    I don't really understand why nobody has been able to do an aftermarket replacement pump either.
    More importantly, it appears as if no one has determined what the actual failure i; eg, is it actual inability to deliver fuel volume at a given pressure (measurable lean AF ratio) on suspect pump, leaks or is there a sensor problem?

What exactly would the aftermarket pump fix?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

^that's a nail hit on the head. I still do not know to this day what is actually causing these damn failures! I've had mine thankfully for 3 years now and no issues. ~23k miles on it, running 93 oct w/ 10% ethanol.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

there is another solution in the works over on N54tech.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by DarkPhantom Click here to enlarge
    ^that's a nail hit on the head. I still do not know to this day what is actually causing these damn failures! I've had mine thankfully for 3 years now and no issues. ~23k miles on it, running 93 oct w/ 10% ethanol.
    Glad to hear yours is running well. My 2008 is going back off-lease in 3 weeks and its long crank mania lately. undoubtedly a 'failing' HPFP and the second for this car. First was at around 8k miles, this one is about to go at about 20k.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I can't recall of a comprehensive survey that could produce stats which people could use to help determine the failure scenarios.

eg produce a list of questions vetted by our community that describe things like where/how cars is driven, what gas do you use, do you drive to empty then fill up, do you have a tune etc, put those questions into a public survey (google docs?) with charting and post up real time or daily snapshots of the data.

The survey might reveal one or more trends in the data that point to one or more failure scenarios. If we could get almost every member to fill out the survey, we might gain useful insights from people like you into why some hpfp don't fail.

I'd like to hear what someone with a pump test stand that can run the n54/n55 pump isolated has to say about what a failed pump really looks like and can do. Even just log or dyno a car with dying pump- hard to do but very valuable info.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by BavarianBullet Click here to enlarge
    Glad to hear yours is running well. My 2008 is going back off-lease in 3 weeks and its long crank mania lately. undoubtedly a 'failing' HPFP and the second for this car. First was at around 8k miles, this one is about to go at about 20k.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I can't recall of a comprehensive survey that could produce stats which people could use to help determine the failure scenarios.

eg produce a list of questions vetted by our community that describe things like where/how cars is driven, what gas do you use, do you drive to empty then fill up, do you have a tune etc, put those questions into a public survey (google docs?) with charting and post up real time or daily snapshots of the data.

The survey might reveal one or more trends in the data that point to one or more failure scenarios. If we could get almost every member to fill out the survey, we might gain useful insights from people like you into why some hpfp don't fail.

I'd like to hear what someone with a pump test stand that can run the n54/n55 pump isolated has to say about what a failed pump really looks like and can do. Even just log or dyno a car with dying pump- hard to do but very valuable info.
    great post, repped you earlier so i cant here Click here to enlarge i would honestly be up in arms if cp-e didn't at least do the testing you stated in the final sentence. if not, what the hell were they doing for who knows how long? anyway i agree on your survey idea, maybe even sticky can set up one here.
    Click here to enlarge
    2007 335i Coupe
    Mods: Check the Garage

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by oddjob2021 Click here to enlarge
    great post, repped you earlier so i cant here Click here to enlarge i would honestly be up in arms if cp-e didn't at least do the testing you stated in the final sentence. if not, what the hell were they doing for who knows how long? anyway i agree on your survey idea, maybe even sticky can set up one here.
    Lol thanks for the rep points, I could use them!

The survey could work well here too. Good traffic generators Sticky...

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2056 Post(s)

The survey could work well here too. Good traffic generators Sticky...
    Elaborate on this survey and the traffic benefit.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    Elaborate on this survey and the traffic benefit.
    Vet the survey questions and post as forum survey here for members only to help drive site traffic. Potentially move the survey results to google docs or something with perhaps better stat presentation (charts, pivot etc) if vBulletin didnt have the best presentation.

I'm assuming such a survey would have wide appeal and could bring in visitors from other sites potentially adding some amount of new members (maybe dont show results to anon visitors).

I"d be happy to start a list of survey questions (post #35 had just a few thoughts)
    Last edited by BavarianBullet; 07-05-2011 at 10:08 PM. Reason: ref post 35

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2056 Post(s)

Vet the survey questions and post as forum survey here for members only to help drive site traffic. Potentially move the survey results to google docs or something with perhaps better stat presentation (charts, pivot etc) if vBulletin didnt have the best presentation.

I'm assuming such a survey would have wide appeal and could bring in visitors from other sites potentially adding some amount of new members (maybe dont show results to anon visitors).

I"d be happy to start a list of survey questions (post #35 had just a few thoughts)
    I'm open to the idea.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12