Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 39
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    119,483
    Rep Points
    32,156.3
    Mentioned
    2112 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    322


    Yes Reputation No

    BMW announces next generation engine families will share up to 60% of their parts between motors, same blocks

    The cost cutting measures continue. BMW's head of inline engine development Harald Unger recently announced the goal is to share as many parts as possible between 1.5, 2.0, and 3.0 liter inline motors including diesels. The idea is to have a common 500cc displacement per cylinder allowing the same basic block to be used for 3 cylinder, 4 cylinder, and 6 cylinder models. He even went further to state he wants the same turbo to apply to each motor reducing the amount of suppliers necessary.

    Quote from Mr. Unger: "Our goal is to have 60 percent of components shared between engines based on fuel type, and 40 percent commonality between gasoline and diesel engines."

    Click here to enlarge

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    le Paris
    Posts
    6,648
    Rep Points
    -164.0
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    0


    1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    i hate your stupid goal Mr. Unger .

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    1,923
    Rep Points
    1,825.9
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    19


    Yes Reputation No
    Ugh.......AMG might be in my future.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Encino,CA
    Posts
    8,040
    Rep Points
    5,733.7
    Mentioned
    179 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    58


    Yes Reputation No
    so, does this mean bmw's will be cheaper in price. Maybe I can afford one now. I'm with you Leo, AMG looks like its gonna be the next M..

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    119,483
    Rep Points
    32,156.3
    Mentioned
    2112 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    322



    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by fastgti69 Click here to enlarge
    so, does this mean bmw's will be cheaper in price. Maybe I can afford one now. I'm with you Leo, AMG looks like its gonna be the next M..
    No, prices will be the same but their profit will be greater.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Encino,CA
    Posts
    8,040
    Rep Points
    5,733.7
    Mentioned
    179 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    58


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    No, prices will be the same but their profit will be greater.
    Lol Yea i know haha, I was just messing..
    Burger Motorsports
    Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, S55s, N63s, and S63s!

    It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Mildenhall, UK
    Posts
    749
    Rep Points
    681.0
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    7


    Yes Reputation No
    We'll guys, it was good while it lasted. I guess I won't be getting the next M3 after all.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    311
    Rep Points
    182.7
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    2


    Yes Reputation No
    as crappy as this sounds, there is always a good side to these things.

    For one, there will be more tuning applications as tuning can become "cross-platform." This may be good especially considering that replacement parts will inevitably become cheaper. Maybe, also efficiency will go up, as more development can be focused into a single design.
    Click here to enlarge
    Current:
    2010 CTS-V Sedan

    Previous:
    2007 e92 335i

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    119,483
    Rep Points
    32,156.3
    Mentioned
    2112 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    322



    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by alq80 Click here to enlarge
    as crappy as this sounds, there is always a good side to these things.

    For one, there will be more tuning applications as tuning can become "cross-platform." This may be good especially considering that replacement parts will inevitably become cheaper. Maybe, also efficiency will go up, as more development can be focused into a single design.
    That is definitely the upside, same pistons, rods, etc. across more platforms.

    BMW will try to lock you out of the ECU though, bunch of dicks.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    4,614
    Rep Points
    3,236.6
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    33


    Yes Reputation No
    there a lot of upsides to this, people need to realize this
    Some people live long, meaningful lives.

    Other people eat shit and die.

    I'm not racist, I hate everybody equally; especially fat people.


    Click here to enlarge

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    4,614
    Rep Points
    3,236.6
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    33


    Yes Reputation No
    Heres an example, how awesome would it be if the S63 had the same exact bolt spacing on the exhaust manifold as the N54. You could literally hack the manifold/turbo such that it would fit the N54. Or what if the valves were the same, except the S63 valves were larger in diameter? $#@! easy, swap them into your ported head. How about interchangeable flywheels and transmissions?

    Have a 4 cylinder that makes 600 whp and need a stronger transmission? Easy, swap in the I6 'version' it should bolt right up because the blocks are the same.

    These are a few examples of modular design and how powerful it is.
    Some people live long, meaningful lives.

    Other people eat shit and die.

    I'm not racist, I hate everybody equally; especially fat people.


    Click here to enlarge

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    119,483
    Rep Points
    32,156.3
    Mentioned
    2112 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    322



    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by DBFIU Click here to enlarge
    Heres an example, how awesome would it be if the S63 had the same exact bolt spacing on the exhaust manifold as the N54. You could literally hack the manifold/turbo such that it would fit the N54. Or what if the valves were the same, except the S63 valves were larger in diameter? $#@! easy, swap them into your ported head. How about interchangeable flywheels and transmissions?

    Have a 4 cylinder that makes 600 whp and need a stronger transmission? Easy, swap in the I6 'version' it should bolt right up because the blocks are the same.

    These are a few examples of modular design and how powerful it is.
    Keep in mind this only applies to 6, 4, and 3 cylinder inline motors.

    They are also trying to give each motor the same turbo. There is some upside as far as having aftermarket internals and even blocks made but BMW is going to try to keep it uniform and locked in their interest, not ours.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Corpus Christi, Texas, United States
    Posts
    3,106
    Rep Points
    1,236.6
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    13


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    Keep in mind this only applies to 6, 4, and 3 cylinder inline motors.

    They are also trying to give each motor the same turbo. There is some upside as far as having aftermarket internals and even blocks made but BMW is going to try to keep it uniform and locked in their interest, not ours.
    Yeah that doesn't make any sense. How the hell are you going to properly size ONE turbo using it's compressor map with three different displacements, volumetric efficiencies (although probably close there), and likely different max rotational speeds?

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    4,614
    Rep Points
    3,236.6
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    33


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by SlicktopTTZ Click here to enlarge
    Yeah that doesn't make any sense. How the hell are you going to properly size ONE turbo using it's compressor map with three different displacements, volumetric efficiencies (although probably close there), and likely different max rotational speeds?
    Very easy, take two turbos designed for the 4 cylinder and use it for the 6.
    Some people live long, meaningful lives.

    Other people eat shit and die.

    I'm not racist, I hate everybody equally; especially fat people.


    Click here to enlarge

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    454
    Rep Points
    559.9
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    6


    Yes Reputation No
    I wonder if that means the gas engines will have the same block and crank as the diesels? That should mean that the gas engine could handle a ton of BOOOOOOST! Makes me wonder if there is anything shared on the 335i's and d's?

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    119,483
    Rep Points
    32,156.3
    Mentioned
    2112 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    322



    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Ryan Mills Click here to enlarge
    I wonder if that means the gas engines will have the same block and crank as the diesels? That should mean that the gas engine could handle a ton of BOOOOOOST! Makes me wonder if there is anything shared on the 335i's and d's?
    Sure is interesting if they share the diesel blocks.

    They are shooting for 40% sharing between those so who knows what parts it will be.

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Corpus Christi, Texas, United States
    Posts
    3,106
    Rep Points
    1,236.6
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    13


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by DBFIU Click here to enlarge
    Very easy, take two turbos designed for the 4 cylinder and use it for the 6.
    I would expect them to want to use a twin-scroll. That wouldn't work for the 6 or the 3. Well, I guess it could with some crazy exhaust runners and flange....

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    119,483
    Rep Points
    32,156.3
    Mentioned
    2112 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    322



    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by SlicktopTTZ Click here to enlarge
    I would expect them to want to use a twin-scroll. That wouldn't work for the 6 or the 3. Well, I guess it could with some crazy exhaust runners and flange....
    It could work for the 6, the 3 I don't see how.

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Corpus Christi, Texas, United States
    Posts
    3,106
    Rep Points
    1,236.6
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    13


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    It could work for the 6, the 3 I don't see how.
    He said two turbos for the 6. So two twin-scrolls would not be.... right. It's hard to make three runners go into two ports.

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    119,483
    Rep Points
    32,156.3
    Mentioned
    2112 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    322



    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by SlicktopTTZ Click here to enlarge
    He said two turbos for the 6. So two twin-scrolls would not be.... right. It's hard to make three runners go into two ports.
    Oh, I was not thinking with twin turbos but more along the lines of if it would be feasible.

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Corpus Christi, Texas, United States
    Posts
    3,106
    Rep Points
    1,236.6
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    13


    Yes Reputation No
    They should MAN UP and just put a GTX4202 or bigger on everything. For lag they can use "BMW Variable N02 Efficient Dynamics Control".

  22. #22
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    2,280
    Rep Points
    936.0
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    10


    Yes Reputation No
    they should fire this guy.
    Click here to enlarge

  23. #23
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    4,614
    Rep Points
    3,236.6
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    33


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by SlicktopTTZ Click here to enlarge
    He said two turbos for the 6. So two twin-scrolls would not be.... right. It's hard to make three runners go into two ports.
    Whats so hard, a twin scroll turbo has 6 ports go into one on the N55. Its the same thing, dont think too hard about it!
    Some people live long, meaningful lives.

    Other people eat shit and die.

    I'm not racist, I hate everybody equally; especially fat people.


    Click here to enlarge

  24. #24
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Corpus Christi, Texas, United States
    Posts
    3,106
    Rep Points
    1,236.6
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    13


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by DBFIU Click here to enlarge
    Whats so hard, a twin scroll turbo has 6 ports go into one on the N55. Its the same thing, dont think too hard about it!
    What I'm saying is if they used a twin-scroll turbo for the 4 then they wouldn't be able to just put two of the same turbo on the six because the runners won't match up. The N55 is 3/3. The N54 has two turbos instead of two scrolls so it still keeps the 3/3 setup. You wouldn't want to do 1.5/1.5 1.5/1.5.

    If they used the same Single twin-scroll turbo on the 4 and the 6, the 4 would be laggier and the 6 would have torque drop near max RPM vs sizing them individually, and you still leave out the 3 because it can't realistically use a twin-scroll. (the 1.5/1.5 runner issue)

  25. #25
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    4,614
    Rep Points
    3,236.6
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    33


    Yes Reputation No
    I dont see an issue, 3 cylinders go to one turbine housing inlet. The inlet is split, so what? Its not like 3 cylinders have to merge to 2 then to one. Twin scroll doesnt mean anything except that the housing is partitioned, it still has one inlet flange or in the case of the N55 and N54 with welded manifolds; one inlet.
    Some people live long, meaningful lives.

    Other people eat shit and die.

    I'm not racist, I hate everybody equally; especially fat people.


    Click here to enlarge

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •