Close

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

A few meth-injection questions

The mod bug has got me, and after only having my JB4 for ~1 month, I am craving more power. My car will probably end up FBO a lot sooner than I planned ..

I've been reading a few threads about people having fantastic success with just JB4+Meth, so am seriously considering a meth-kit as my next power mod. I'm looking at the CM VC-2 Kit, with a meth elbow.

A few questions:

1) Installation. How difficult is the meth kit installation? I'm not really a car-tech type person, but had no issues installing my JB4 .. meth install looks a little more complex though.

2) Where to buy the meth itself? Home Depot here in Canada sells 99.9% pure methyl hydrate.. would this be the good stuff? It's also readily on shelves in some grocery stores, believe it or not..

3) Am I crazy to want to do this on a 1 year old car!! How will this affect long term reliability?

Cheers
    ~

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

3 out of 3 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    1: installation isnt that bad. if you're alone it shouldnt take more than a few hours. what kit are you planning on? i suggest a large reservoir (tank), so u dont need to fill often.

2: if you plan on running more than the 50/50 (49/51) mix, picking up pure meth is the best way to go. you can get m1 from vp racing fuels which is pure meth, and then add distilled water to what ever ratio you want. i dont trust the washer fluid and such products that claim 99% or whatever meth. whats the other percentage? cleaning chemicals, not meant for combustion. now i may be rash here but unless you know all of the ingredients (every single one) to your home depot meth dont use it.

3: no you're not crazy at all. the only effect to long term reliability is positive, cleaning the gunk off the metal (valves and runners). the only reason there is a bad omen of sorts associated with meth is the people who installed it improperly, or set up variables in the tuning improperly. its not the actual water/meth kit that is the root cause. a while back when meth was huge in the evo and sti world, the technology controlling it and the metering was no where near where it is today. the safeguards like 'safe-injection' simply didnt exist, i dont have to tell you what would happen, the horror stories online tell it all. but you have to take them with a grain of salt, realize that they're noobs and as long as you install it right, tune it right, and drive it right, you will have zero negative effect on long term reliability.
    Click here to enlarge
    2007 335i Coupe
    Mods: Check the Garage

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Thanks oddjob -- this is the kit I'm planning on getting: http://n54tuning.com/index.php?_a=viewProd&productId=47

Comes with a 1.5G tank. I probably don't want to go too much bigger than that, as I'd like to retain some trunk space .. Click here to enlarge How long to you think a tank would last .. assuming mixed driving?

I think I'd start out at 50/50 mix .. then maybe move up if all works out well. I'll need to look into other places where I can get hold of meth here in Calgary. The methyl hydrate is "at least" 99.9% pure, so in theory there should be not much of anything else in there .. 0.1%. I'm going to Home Depot tomorrow for some deck stain, so I'll pick up a bottle of mh and check out the label.

Almost ready to order this thing, and now I'm just wrestling with my last few tiny doubts of meth! But the pros seem to outweigh the cons big time..
    ~

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    thanks for the link. that tank looks puny! at least it looks tiny enough to mount to the left side by the driver's tailight, so you can have your entire trunk available. my main problem with that tank design is that the pump sits higher than the lowest part of the tank. in my set-up the pump and electronics are in the little cubby under the carpet, and the tank is right above it in the back right of the trunk. i have a 2.5 gal tank. i rarely go into boost so i fill up much less than some other members have reported. i fill my tank about once a month. if there are a lot of events, like meets and drags, dynos and road racing, yeah you'll eat through it faster than you think. assuming mixed driving, 1.5 gal, i'd say probably 2-4 times per month, maybe more.

i started with 50/50 too, i forgot you were over seas, lol it makes it a bit more difficult for me to give you advice on where to find meth, but yeah, just check out the label.

my last suggestion would be make sure you have a 'safe-injection' like device. from what i can see on that product it says one can enable and disable failsafes, maybe it's an all in one box, it has a flow sensor so maybe. coolingmist is a vendor on here, maybe he can chime in with what this kit exactly offers, and how the failsafe triggers and what it can tell any type of tune.
    Click here to enlarge
    2007 335i Coupe
    Mods: Check the Garage

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    what you can do that is a pretty clean and cheap setup is use your window washer tank and then you can just mount the pump somewhere in the engine by
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    GET THE METH...
    Some people live long, meaningful lives.

Other people eat shit and die.

I'm not racist, I hate everybody equally; especially fat people.

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    637 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    You've got lots of options. We've been playing with some fun engine bay mount ideas, and also carry several quick install trunk kits.

http://www.n54tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12415

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Hmm.. thanks for the input guys. I might go with my original plan for now (trunk mount) .. just because it's tried and tested, and already available.

I'll let the wife go to bed, then maybe do some sneaky on-line shopping later Click here to enlarge
    ~

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by bigup Click here to enlarge
    Hmm.. thanks for the input guys. I might go with my original plan for now (trunk mount) .. just because it's tried and tested, and already available.

I'll let the wife go to bed, then maybe do some sneaky on-line shopping later Click here to enlarge
    bro i think its smarter to do the engine bay and cheaper. less lines to run, injects faster, cleaner setup, etc......im just saying. I have it in the trunk but I like the engine bay setup a lot
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by lamia2super Click here to enlarge
    bro i think its smarter to do the engine bay and cheaper. less lines to run, injects faster, cleaner setup, etc......im just saying. I have it in the trunk but I like the engine bay setup a lot
    I'll put my hand up for the medium-altitude beta tester of the upcoming BMS/CM engine mount kit Click here to enlarge
    ~

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    What are the benefits of each? Does it really inject faster in the engine bay? Since the line is full of meth, the meth should be there right at the charge pipe waiting for the controller to spray. Solenoid would guarantee this, correct? As a minimal benefit, the meth is cooler from the trunk, but this is probably just a small fraction of the cooling effect... has anyone calculated it? Or could it be even better that it vaporizes quicker having it a bit warmer to start with? The max cooling that the DME accepts, can be achieved in any case?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by bigup Click here to enlarge
    I'll put my hand up for the medium-altitude beta tester of the upcoming BMS/CM engine mount kit Click here to enlarge
    Bms aren't the only ones doing it. You can do it yourself their are DIY guidesand everything. Audi guys have been doing it for years
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I appreciate all the help & ideas Click here to enlarge I think another week or two's reading is in order before I order a kit .. Cheers.
    ~