Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2054 Post(s)

Give thread creators control of their own threads? Ability to ban users from thread

It has become apparent to me that some additional checks may be necessary to promote positive discussion and prevent trolls from, well, trolling.

Now, the rep system is one way to nudge posters toward a certain way of posting by having the community keep them in check but it doesn't necessarily prevent a thread from being taken off course.

I am considering creating something that will allow thread creators to ban users of their choice from their own threads. For example, you create a thread and there is some user that is intent on raining on your parade, you can prevent this user from participating in your own thread.

I would likely have it based on rep as in if you have over 100 rep points you can use this. I would likely make it cost something like 10 rep points or so to use each time, final numbers would obviously be tweaked.

Nobody wants to create a thread to just get crapped all over all the time, what do you think? Is this something you guys would want?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    172 Post(s)

I'm down to try something new, but good that we dont have too many trolls.
    Burger Motorsports
    Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, S55s, N63s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Sounds like a great idea to me. The only thing I could see is possible response type threads, but that could be easily moderated.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    It has become apparent to me that some additional checks may be necessary to promote positive discussion and prevent trolls from, well, trolling.

Now, the rep system is one way to nudge posters toward a certain way of posting by having the community keep them in check but it doesn't necessarily prevent a thread from being taken off course.

I am considering creating something that will allow thread creators to ban users of their choice from their own threads. For example, you create a thread and there is some user that is intent on raining on your parade, you can prevent this user from participating in your own thread.

I would likely have it based on rep as in if you have over 100 rep points you can use this. I would likely make it cost something like 10 rep points or so to use each time, final numbers would obviously be tweaked.

Nobody wants to create a thread to just get crapped all over all the time, what do you think? Is this something you guys would want?

nope, cant do it

then anyone can come in here and swing moderation on there favor

well, maybe, i just read th part about needing rep and costing rep/ then that makes sense.. give it a shot

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

I like the idea as a concept, and the fact that you are already designing a system that has built in checks so that the thread creator has to think about it (and "pay a price" with their rep points) to prevent (or cut down) on arbitrary banning. I also like the fact that you are soliciting feedback from the members to get ideas on how to make this work fairly and keep the integrity of the thread in question, as well as the forum in general. To go "back in the day" on you Sticky "MAD PROPS!!!!".

The only suggestion I can think of at this time is that their should also be a penalty to someone who is being banned from a thread and a simple "appeal" process for those who have been banned (something along the lines of having a moderator who has not posted on the thread evaluate the post from a third party perspective and decide who has merit). Finally, it should also cost the banned poster/ thread creator something should they lose the appeal. I know this is starting to get convoluted but I'm just spit balling some ideas....
    Click here to enlarge
    Show: VOSSEN CV3's, CF front lip, trunk spoiler, EuroTeck diffuser, DCT steering wheel, 20% tint, painted grill, ELM (by Marcus)
    Go: Kleemann headers, Kleemann 168 pulley, custom OE tune, CF intake tubes, K&N filters, Eurocharged HE = 11.26 @ 123.7

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lc5ruiEgZRQ

Have you ever noticed. . .
    anyone going slower than you is an idiot. . .
    and anyone going faster is a maniac?
    George Carlin

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

yea, this is a tough situation. i know why your thinking it, but also, i think it may get overboard and carried away.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

That sounds great Sticky. Like LM pointed out, as long as it is balanced and prevents thread owners from getting carried away. We don't get too many trolls here and 99% of the people here are level headed and think before they type. Anything that will better this forum and keep the positve dicussions going. Props to you for asking about our thoughts on it.
    2010 335i Coupe Le Mans Blue
    *JB4 Powered*

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    172 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by LostMarine Click here to enlarge
    yea, this is a tough situation. i know why your thinking it, but also, i think it may get overboard and carried away.
    x2, I cant rep you but this is good enough.
    Burger Motorsports

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2054 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by SSDD Click here to enlarge
    Sounds like a great idea to me. The only thing I could see is possible response type threads, but that could be easily moderated.
    That would be fine actually, each could respond without destroying the others thread so free speech would still be preserved.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2054 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by LostMarine Click here to enlarge
    That is why the ability will be limited. Instead of making it cost rep points I may make it based on rep power as in how much rep power is how many times you can use it per month.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Do like viperalley, pay to ban. $150 a week and whoever is banned. Revenue baby!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2054 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by JBond Click here to enlarge
    Do like viperalley, pay to ban. $150 a week and whoever is banned. Revenue baby!
    Heh, then after that I can let people purchase rep points.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

This makes me worried, for some reason. Whatever is done, it needs to be transparent. So if someone makes a thread, and specific users are going to be banned from the discusson, it needs to be publicly visible who is banned, who banned them, and why they were banned.

Another option is something like what youtube does. If a post gets enough negative ratings, it is hidden. You can still click to read it if you want to, but it is essentially removed from the discussion.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2054 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by metrik Click here to enlarge
    This makes me worried, for some reason. Whatever is done, it needs to be transparent. So if someone makes a thread, and specific users are going to be banned from the discusson, it needs to be publicly visible who is banned, who banned them, and why they were banned.
    Only thread creators would be able to do it. As in, you create a thread and you can control your thread to an extent.

Another option is something like what youtube does. If a post gets enough negative ratings, it is hidden. You can still click to read it if you want to, but it is essentially removed from the discussion.
    We have already implemented this option. 5 negative ratings, post is hidden. Problem is if people quoted it you can still see it.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

It takes a lot to get the 5 negs right now. IMHO we need to figure out how to get more people using the rep system. I think I'm one of the few that has given more than recieved
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    172 Post(s)

It takes a lot to get the 5 negs right now. IMHO we need to figure out how to get more people using the rep system. I think I'm one of the few that has given more than recieved
    I'm with you lmao, I used to give out a lot. I think sticky changed the rules to 2 reps per day because of me hahahaha
    Burger Motorsports

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2054 Post(s)

I might lower the amount of rep needed to use it.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)

interesting idea but there is a problem..

person X starts a thread about something, person Y joins thread to discuss pertinent information that is contradictory to person X's opinion. Person X person Y from the thread, this is not fair and something like this will inevitably happen at least once, at it will hurt the thread overall. I think you need to make the rep cost more like 20, to keep people REALLY thinking do they need to ban this person? It is a good idea if used correctly, but there are ways to use it incorrectly.

Now if person X has a bone to pick with person Y, person Y will just ban person X from the next thread he makes which is about to bash person X... So it can spiral into craziness if this is implemented too quickly.

I think we need to think of ways to BALANCE this type of system. And honestly, I wouldnt care if this system wasnt implemented because the beauty of this forum is that everyone is free to speak.
    Some people live long, meaningful lives.

Other people eat shit and die.

I'm not racist, I hate everybody equally; especially fat people.

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2054 Post(s)

The only issue is that some people are intent on trolling certain peoples threads. Balance might be that the timeout system needs to be tweaked.

Vendors are going to get this ability no matter what down the line.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)

I think you need to make the thread creator ban ability hard to get, need like 200-300 rep points minimum and costs 10-20 to use. Because if this system is too easy to use, it will make the thread imbalanced because you will be hearing the opinion of one person and not the other, assuming they are both not trying to troll.

Trolls will be trolls, but its hard to implement a system like this and expect to clean up trolling; good people will get hurt too in the end and it may not be worth it.

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2054 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by DBFIU Click here to enlarge
    I think you need to make the thread creator ban ability hard to get, need like 200-300 rep points minimum and costs 10-20 to use. Because if this system is too easy to use, it will make the thread imbalanced because you will be hearing the opinion of one person and not the other, assuming they are both not trying to troll.

Trolls will be trolls, but its hard to implement a system like this and expect to clean up trolling; good people will get hurt too in the end and it may not be worth it.
    We'll see, right now I'm going to work on opening rep up to more people as well as tweaking timeouts so that if keep getting negs reps you can't just keep going.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)

definitely open up rep, sometimes i want to rep someone but cant; then i have to randomly give rep to someone which i dont like to do so i am able to rep the person i feel deserves it.

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2054 Post(s)

definitely open up rep, sometimes i want to rep someone but cant; then i have to randomly give rep to someone which i dont like to do so i am able to rep the person i feel deserves it.
    I'm working on it. Also working on letting you choose your rep power.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)

I'm working on it. Also working on letting you choose your rep power.
    So someone can choose to have 10 rep power? I dont understand.

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2054 Post(s)

So someone can choose to have 10 rep power? I dont understand.
    No, you have 9. So, for example, you could choose between 2-9 so you don't have to give everyone 9 rep points.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast