Close

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2056 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by 5mall5nail5 Click here to enlarge
    Ran it on a 4.4GHz Core i7 this morning, its sluggish. It's .Net based. Means they can release/edit things easily, but it has a lot of overhead. The tuning software download is 100 - 120 MB lol. Maybe I am used to more efficient software. The layout is pretty scattered. Though, most tuning platforms have crap software. The best software I've used is the AEM, though their hardware is meh. The worst to date has been Autronic.

Also I should clarify I installed the 64-bit version.
    How are you the only guy saying it is sluggish when people on systems that are antiques in comparison are saying it is quick and responsive?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2056 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by ccsykes Click here to enlarge
    I think you just like to argue points when the knowledge is in your corner in order to appear smarter than everyone else.
    Nail on the head.

Additionally, no offense intended, but also the need to try to prove knowledge even when it does not apply to the topic at hand. Ad hominem arguments are typical and often the discussion digresses to something else entirely as means of support for the original discussion.

Let's all try and respect our nice little community without all the prick waving.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

I think peoples opinion on "smooth" and "running" well differ. A tuning app taking up 120+ MB of RAM and 15+ % total CPU is not ideal... on a Core i5 no less. As I had stated, I installed the x64 version so maybe there's a difference. This machine is freshly formatted with Win7 Ultimate 64 and I am pretty capable in regard to maintaining my PCs... so. Maybe I'll take a video if you doubt me lol. But clicking the ignition tab and what not took some time to move to that module. Beat.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Well I'm no software guru you got me there, all that code would make my head explode. However I have helped several software and application development Companies raise millions of dollars as well as provided consulting on start-up and going public. Most the software executives I have dealt with don't seem to have the same opinions as you do on .net though.

Maybe there are better solutions I don't know, but from a business perspective .net seems to be a pretty popular choice for application development. I think you just like to argue points when the knowledge is in your corner in order to appear smarter than everyone else. Shall we get into a discussion about public finance or actually running a business? I imagine I'd mop the floor with you.
    Why would we talk about public finance? What has that got to do with an ECU? We're talking about the pros and cons of the new Pro EFI. Battam3 said he heard some negatives. I joked about the price. Then I said "You know, the software isn't very good...." What does finance have to do with that.

As I said, as asomeone who develops applications and systems, .Net is great. However, when taking in data from a piece of hardware, it isn't exactly the best framework to use. It requires tons of wrappers and "things to arrange data, spit it out in a format hardware wants, and things to take data from hardware, arrange it, and display it how the application wants." I develop SharePoint apps and Office add ins when needed - there, .Net framework makes sense - you're talking between microsoft application pools and can short cut a lot of junk by just using their modules. But when you're doing more low level stuff like communicating to hardware, you get this unnecessary overhead. I'll throw ProEFI on my tuning laptops later and see how they perform - they work great in all recent releases of MegaTune/Tuner Studio, AEM, DTA, Autronic, pectel, etc. This ProEFI looks cool with the flashy gauges and such, but that's overhead. As someone who actually needs to tune things, its a drag having all that stuff running.

I know you're anxious to tell everyone about the executives you work with and bazrallion dollar deals you negotiate, but a car forum, especially one where you're discussing more technical aspects, may not be the place for you to do that. While my software experience isn't always practical in tuning, it can be as can be seen above. However, your experience with marketing and public finance or what not will carry little use in nearly every topic on this forum unless in OT - just a heads up. If you want to gloat or brag go for it, but I won't act impressed since it has nothing to do with what we're discussing. (By the way, I am buddies with fortune 150 execs and none of them seem to brag about deals or things they have negotiated... just my observations)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by PEI330Ci Click here to enlarge
    I don't think most people use a GUI while driving, and I get the impression the OP is looking to drive his car without worrying about the tune. Sure the software for the ProEFI is a bit slow....but if the car drives perfectly I don't think most people will care.

So what turbo options are being considered?
    You're right adam, but we were discussing the system. System involves hardware and software. He was talking about how it doesn't take a mensa member to tune a car and how he could figure it out and such. Someone mentioned they had heard negatives regarding ProEFI, so I figured I'd evaluate the software briefly. Chances are the ProEFI would come with a locked tune so the end-user can't do anything with it anyway.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Well I'm no software guru you got me there, all that code would make my head explode. However I have helped several software and application development Companies raise millions of dollars as well as provided consulting on start-up and going public. Most the software executives I have dealt with don't seem to have the same opinions as you do on .net though.

Maybe there are better solutions I don't know, but from a business perspective .net seems to be a pretty popular choice for application development. I think you just like to argue points when the knowledge is in your corner in order to appear smarter than everyone else. Shall we get into a discussion about public finance or actually running a business? I imagine I'd mop the floor with you.
    I trained you well
    Click here to enlargeClick here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

lol gg

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by PEI330Ci Click here to enlarge
    So what turbo options are being considered?
    As of now I'm either going to keep the Precision 71mm billet Turbo and focus on beefing up my fuel system (fuel cell and external pumps) or go with a Gt35r or Gt37r.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    I think peoples opinion on "smooth" and "running" well differ. A tuning app taking up 120+ MB of RAM and 15+ % total CPU is not ideal... on a Core i5 no less. As I had stated, I installed the x64 version so maybe there's a difference. This machine is freshly formatted with Win7 Ultimate 64 and I am pretty capable in regard to maintaining my PCs... so. Maybe I'll take a video if you doubt me lol. But clicking the ignition tab and what not took some time to move to that module. Beat.
    I support over 750 systems, ranging from $5,000 laptops running Raid 10, with quad SSD's to $500 budget laptops. Not one behaves identically to others based solely on specs. Just like a 'tune' on a car can make all the difference, I can tell you a tune on a computer is just the same. I can make a SAS SAN running 3 VM hosts for a total cost of about $30k out the door, software included.. absolutely DESTROY a $150k SAN setup.. simply because of how I set them up and configure them, and the fact I've specialized in particular SAN/SAS technologies/etc.

Went off topic there a bit, but my point is that maybe its your system. I'm running Windows 7 Professional (Ultimate has no bennefit) 64-Bit on a 3-4yr old SSD (w/trim support) and a degraded Raid 5 data partition (applications actually install/reside on the Data Volumes, not my SSD/OS volume) and it ran absolutely flawless. Its also an older Core 2 Duo w/8gb of 'slow' memory.

Also, there is nothing wrong with .NET. People have all sorts of opinions about development languages, etc... most of it is just pref. Unless its a wrapped language based on a compiled language (such as Java / CF) the performance of the application is often times dependant on how its developed, not the language used. CF is always/and has always been junk.. simply because of the overhead of wrapping Java. But thats not really on topic either.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Its not my system - I've confirmed it on a couple computers here at work. Look at my task manager. You're running a SSD in RAID and it works fine lol. I am running a consumer level laptop and it is chunky. How is that a good thing? I am sure my desktop will murder it, but that doesn't make it any better for the people out there running a 2.3 GHz i5 w/ 8GB of RAM, 64 bit OS, and not even having an ECU hooked up to it yet lol. Does it work? Yeah, it works. But its clunky. Its way too bloated for a tuning platform. 120MB installer? Seriously? I thought oh man its gotta have a ton of manuals or something... nope.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2056 Post(s)

Try running the 32 bit version maybe? It might just be that.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Not sure - if there's a memory leak in the 64 bit version, there still exists an issue Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2056 Post(s)

As of now I'm either going to keep the Precision 71mm billet Turbo and focus on beefing up my fuel system (fuel cell and external pumps) or go with a Gt35r or Gt37r.
    If you aren't satisfied with the powerband and spool you likely never will be. GT35R might be a nice compromise. Then again, you might start to like the top end but your car does seem more like an on/off switch.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

lol gg
    What???? Click here to enlarge

You should go hta gt37, or look into that.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    If you aren't satisfied with the powerband and spool you likely never will be. GT35R might be a nice compromise. Then again, you might start to like the top end but your car does seem more like an on/off switch.
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by GG///M3 Click here to enlarge
    You should go hta gt37, or look into that.
    I just confirmed my car and the roll cage will comply with Redline's Time Attack series rules. I'm pretty stoked. Aside from running a catalyst, my car pretty much meets all the rules to run the "Street Tire" class. So.. the big question is still what turbo to run. I've looked at everyone's suggestions and I find myself no closer to making a decision, in fact I think I'm even more undecided then when I started lol.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Given we max GT3582Rs on S52B32's at around 25 psi (560 - 600 rwhp) he will run out of air up top big time. Since that is where an S54 makes its power, anything smaller than a 65mm - 67mm I feel is a waste. You simply won't get low-down spool/torque from that setup given how HPF is controlling the cams (or not controlling the cams). The best would be to stick with a 67 or so, dbb, billet, with a smaller A/R hot side (.81 or so) and bring in boost gracefully with boost control through the ECU. That way you still have power up high. You will never get the crazy 600 ft lb tq @ 3800 RPM stuff you see out of S52's.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2056 Post(s)

Given we max GT3582Rs on S52B32's at around 25 psi (560 - 600 rwhp) he will run out of air up top big time. Since that is where an S54 makes its power, anything smaller than a 65mm - 67mm I feel is a waste. You simply won't get low-down spool/torque from that setup given how HPF is controlling the cams (or not controlling the cams). The best would be to stick with a 67 or so, dbb, billet, with a smaller A/R hot side (.81 or so) and bring in boost gracefully with boost control through the ECU. That way you still have power up high. You will never get the crazy 600 ft lb tq @ 3800 RPM stuff you see out of S52's.
    I don't he even needs 600 foot-pounds as much as just a desire for a powerband shifted to the left. I think he is saying he is willing to sacrifice the top end for area under the curve. So, yes, maybe a waste for peak power but not for his enjoyment.

It's a tough decision either way.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2056 Post(s)

I just confirmed my car and the roll cage will comply with Redline's Time Attack series rules. I'm pretty stoked. Aside from running a catalyst, my car pretty much meets all the rules to run the "Street Tire" class. So.. the big question is still what turbo to run. I've looked at everyone's suggestions and I find myself no closer to making a decision, in fact I think I'm even more undecided then when I started lol.
    Since you already have a turbo and the car setup essentially why not just run with what you have for a while and just add the Pro-EFI tuning?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Since you already have a turbo and the car setup essentially why not just run with what you have for a while and just add the Pro-EFI tuning?
    Well that is where I am leaning. The great thing about Pro EFI is I can swap turbo's and do any fab work myself and just take the car to Secret Services in Houston for a re-tune if I'm feeling experimental.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Why not retune it yourself?

Ain't no thang chicken wang.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2056 Post(s)

LOL sticky, cmon man, seriously. He steps into it at like 3k RPM and its at 642 torque by 3500 lol. What lag? Look at the videos bro. We all know inertia dynos don't load like the street.
    Of course not, and like I said the vid looks good but I had to go off the graph that was posted.

Do you have a graph from a load based dyno?

Why are we taking ccsykes thread this far off topic though? We can discuss in another thread if you want and move the posts there.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Check this one out - from a 65 mph roll in 5th...
    Heh, I love the poor boy gauge from the hardware store.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2056 Post(s)

Well that is where I am leaning. The great thing about Pro EFI is I can swap turbo's and do any fab work myself and just take the car to Secret Services in Houston for a re-tune if I'm feeling experimental.
    Exactly, I think that is the right course of action for now and you will have options down the line.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

LOL sticky, cmon man, seriously. He steps into it at like 3k RPM and its at 642 torque by 3500 lol. What lag? Look at the videos bro. We all know inertia dynos don't load like the street.
    Exactly. $#@! i was hitting full boost with my cutout open just under 3k rpms on the streets. ON the dyno it says 3400rpms

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Heh, I love the poor boy gauge from the hardware store.
    Poor boy gauge? Its actually from a 200 ton hydraulic press he built. Its the only gauge we had that read over 1 bar and was big enough to see. We don't believe in that indiglo gauge BS sorry. After tuning we don't even run boost gauges Click here to enlarge He's a mechanical engineer - he could have picked a different gauge if he were trying to impress people lol. And actually, that gauge is several hundred dollars lol. 4" calibrated gauge. Good try though.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2056 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by GG///M3 Click here to enlarge
    Exactly. $#@! i was hitting full boost with my cutout open just under 3k rpms on the streets. ON the dyno it says 3400rpms
    Well if you post a dyno as support of a curve expect to have that graph posted analyzed. I'm not going to make guesses regarding what the spool might be vs. what it is definitively shown to be. It is also likely that you may be downplaying the lag due to what appears on the graph.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast