Close

Page 36 of 130 FirstFirst ... 2634353637384686 ... LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2110 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

DCT Build Part XII - Build complete, pictures of final assembly, transmission cooler, and Viton seals

Well, this has been a rather lengthy road to completion but the transmission is basically complete. The car was dropped off by SSP last month to Gintani who should have the motor in by the end of this week. The problem is SSP mounted their trans cooler in the location the heat exchanger for the supercharger needs to go so SSP will need to come to Gintani's facility to re-run their lines as the cooler will need to go in a different location. What took so long for this update? Well, we have been waiting, and waiting, and waiting for SSP to send us details on the Viton seals that required 3 redesigns but never received the information on why these seals are superior to the stock units.

So, I decided to do my own research and here is what I came up with. These are the stock BMW seals used in the DCT. What is wrong with them exactly? We do not know other than they apparently are not up to the task:

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Here are the Viton seals which delayed the project by 3 months. Viton is a synthetic rubber used for seals, O-rings, things of that sort. Viton was likely used as it is less susceptible to decay and already used in BMW applications such as in VANOS. Viton has much higher temperature and chemical resistance characteristics than the stock seals. Here is what they look like:

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

This is the DCT cooler that was mounted by SSP up front. This needs to be moved somewhere else as the supercharger heat exchanger will need to go there. This means SSP will need to come out and run their lines again checking all their fluids and so forth before tuning can take place:

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

This is the final assembly. So, the transmission is built but it took about a year longer than estimated. I believe I was as patient as possible and hopefully this will all be wrapped up in December with a built motor, built transmission, a YSI, and a ton of horsepower.

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    179 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Man, that thing looks great. I can't wait till its done.
    Burger Motorsports
    Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, S55s, N63s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2110 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by fastgti69 Click here to enlarge
    Man, that thing looks great. I can't wait till its done.
    You can't wait? YOU CAN'T WAIT?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    179 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    You can't wait? YOU CAN'T WAIT?
    Click here to enlarge I want a ride when it's done. I shoulda asked Alex when he's gonna finish your car up. How could I forget when I was with him on saturday...
    Burger Motorsports

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2110 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by fastgti69 Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge I want a ride when it's done. I shoulda asked Alex when he's gonna finish your car up. How could I forget when I was with him on saturday...
    Just messing, I can't wait man. I don't know how I have gone this long. I would rather give up sex for a year at this point.

Alex is on his way to China or something and he said they would have the motor in by the end of the week. So then I guess SSP will need to come out to figure out where to put their cooler/lines at around the same time of the SC install. Then tuning... man I can't wait!

I just hope it all goes smoothly. The thought of having a built motor SC DCT M3 is just... awesome.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    179 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Just messing, I can't wait man. I don't know how I have gone this long. I would rather give up sex for a year at this point.

Alex is on his way to China or something and he said they would have the motor in by the end of the week. So then I guess SSP will need to come out to figure out where to put their cooler/lines at around the same time of the SC install. Then tuning... man I can't wait!

I just hope it all goes smoothly. The thought of having a built motor SC DCT M3 is just... awesome.
    Hell yea, even if it wasn't supercharged. Having a built motor is just balls of steel by itself lol. And you have the tranny built and you throwing a fat SC on it. This thing will move when the tuning is finished. MOVE.
    Burger Motorsports

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2110 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    179 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    LMFAO, that is genius! I love that
    Burger Motorsports

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    man can't wait for this to finally be done with LOL and breaking records Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Looking forward to seeing this completed Brother. SSP and Gintani = Performance Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2110 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by 0-60Motorsports Click here to enlarge
    Looking forward to seeing this completed Brother. SSP and Gintani = Performance Click here to enlarge
    Thanks Ejaz, me too. Plus I just want to shut my friends up. I have one with an EVO with bolt on's who has been running his mouth. Can't wait to see the look on his face when I dust him.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Yes, I just need to write it and put up the photos. Maybe tonight... maybe.
    Having your car back this year would make for a very nice Christmas present Click here to enlarge
    There are two theories to arguing with women. Neither one works

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2110 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by DavidV Click here to enlarge
    Having your car back this year would make for a very nice Christmas present Click here to enlarge
    And birthday...

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Thanks Ejaz, me too. Plus I just want to shut my friends up. I have one with an EVO with bolt on's who has been running his mouth. Can't wait to see the look on his face when I dust him.
    LOL Nice! Cant wait to see that video Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge

EURO 04 M3 Current Mods:GC DAs, Eibach Sways, PF RTAB's, RE RCAs, INTRAVEE II, Black Roundels, ///MFEST Badges, Depo's, Screen protector for NAV display, VCSL Bumper + Race Lip & CF Trunk & CF Rear Diffusor, DIETZ TV in Motion, SS= V1 Headers + catless pipes + X-Pipe + SS Sport Exhaust, Z8 Starter Button, Lamin-X, OEM CSL interior, OEM CSL Steering, OEM CSL Intake, OEM CSL Roof, MSS54HP + OEM CSL Tune, BBS CH's, LIGHTWERKZ, 355mm ST40 BBK, BW Oil Cooler....

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Holy $#@!! A real update!?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2110 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by LostMarine Click here to enlarge
    Holy $#@!! A real update!?
    Ha.. Ha..

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    This is the DCT cooler that was mounted by SSP up front.
    Mmm, did they not know you were SC this car? Someone must have known...
    Why else would you have had the tranny done...
    So, ETA of the finished car? Any ideas?
    There are two theories to arguing with women. Neither one works

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2110 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Mmm, did they not know you were SC this car? Someone must have known...
    They just didn't know that is where Gintani mounted the aftercooler. My SC was sold before they got the car so it was removed.

So, ETA of the finished car? Any ideas?
    Yes, as stated in the article, later this month hopefully.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Great update!! On the bright side, despite it being Winter, you still have nice weather over there on the West Coast to enjoy your soon to be monster M3!
    2002 E46 M3 6MT | Jet Black . Black Nappa | My GermanBoost Build Thread
    2009 E90 M3 DCT | Melbourne Red . Speed Cloth

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2110 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by flipm3 Click here to enlarge
    Great update!! On the bright side, despite it being Winter, you still have nice weather over there on the West Coast to enjoy your soon to be monster M3!
    Oh ya, I don't even really pay attention to the seasons. All I know is now is a better time to drag race and the pool isn't as warm.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Glad to see some progress but 3 months for seals? and there just basic round seals! No wonder it took so long, give them this company they can usually have it to you in a week. www.ctgasket.com

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2110 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Jimefam Click here to enlarge
    Glad to see some progress but 3 months for seals? and there just basic round seals! No wonder it took so long, give them this company they can usually have it to you in a week. www.ctgasket.com
    I have no explanation for the delay nor any understanding of it. I still don't understand why this took a year longer than it should have.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I've just discovered theis thread, but I know for the Getrag DCt in the E82 there is a clutch and spring kit out there.Will the transmission cooler go into the driver's side lower opeing?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2110 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by maxnix Click here to enlarge
    I've just discovered theis thread, but I know for the Getrag DCt in the E82 there is a clutch and spring kit out there.Will the transmission cooler go into the driver's side lower opeing?
    I don't know where they are going to put it. Don't think there is room in the driver's side.

The DCT in the E82 is the exact same as in the M3. Who has the clutch and spring kit?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Great news Sticky!

Would it not be a whole lot more efficient for SSP to get Gintani to relocate the oil cooler? It isn't that complicated; just requires re-running some lines....which should be a cake walk for Gintani.

It's not like you need my help:

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge
    Rep Points > Posts since 2010

Page 36 of 130 FirstFirst ... 2634353637384686 ... LastLast