Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 38
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    118,891
    Rep Points
    31,838.9
    Mentioned
    2090 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    319


    Yes Reputation No

    BMW confirms an all wheel drive F10 M5 will be produced

    We don't know what is going on. All wheel drive M5's? We thought BMW was getting back to their core values but it seems they are all over the place still. Autocar reports that their BMW source has confirmed the M5 will get all wheel drive in the near future. What does this mean? Well, it means the M5 is going to get heavier but if there is a market for the Panamera turbo no doubt the M5 with all wheel drive will find its buyers as well. The M5 is set to be revealed this year at the Frankfurt Auto Show, the AWD version should be officially introduced months after that.

    Click here to enlarge

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    le Paris
    Posts
    6,655
    Rep Points
    -195.0
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    0


    Yes Reputation No
    Lame.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    118,891
    Rep Points
    31,838.9
    Mentioned
    2090 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    319



    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sorena Click here to enlarge
    Lame.
    I'll withhold judgement. I have nothing against them giving us the option but, I mean, they really are straying far from the M ideals at this point.

    We live in a world with AWD hatchback Ferrari's now.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    le Paris
    Posts
    6,655
    Rep Points
    -195.0
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    0


    Yes Reputation No
    in good old days it used to be like this

    Customer : Hi, I can't handle a +500HP RWD car.
    M engineers : We don't give a $#@!, don't buy it.

    But now M stands just for marketing.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    118,891
    Rep Points
    31,838.9
    Mentioned
    2090 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    319



    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sorena Click here to enlarge
    in good old days it used to be like this

    Customer : Hi, I can't handle a +500HP RWD car.
    M engineers : We don't give a $#@!, don't buy it.

    But now M stands just for marketing.
    I think an AWD M5 at least makes more sense than 2 M SUV's.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    le Paris
    Posts
    6,655
    Rep Points
    -195.0
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    0


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    I think an AWD M5 at least makes more sense than 2 M SUV's.
    don't try to find the reason behind those M SUV's my friend, after 2 years of thinking i realized it was just a waste of time, there is no reason at all except marketing.
    BMW are you listening ? I'm a pissed owner !

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    28
    Rep Points
    16.5
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    0


    1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    I'd take it. I swore off RWD cars with my next purchase. A 2012 AWD M5 would be the perfect used car trade in a few years from now.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    1,184
    Rep Points
    934.3
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    10


    Yes Reputation No
    strong awd diff, a tt v8, and a dct?? far from ///M heritage but could do some damage out there with usable power

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    118,891
    Rep Points
    31,838.9
    Mentioned
    2090 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    319



    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by MSIZZLE Click here to enlarge
    strong awd diff, a tt v8, and a dct?? far from ///M heritage but could do some damage out there with usable power
    This is the main thing. The cars are getting so powerful AWD is almost becoming a necessity.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    196
    Rep Points
    306.0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    4


    Yes Reputation No
    it would be amazing if the awd system could have a setting where 100% of the power & TQ could go to the rear wheels...ala r34 gtr

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    le Paris
    Posts
    6,655
    Rep Points
    -195.0
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    0


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by disruptv Click here to enlarge
    it would be amazing if the awd system could have a setting where 100% of the power & TQ could go to the rear wheels...ala r34 gtr
    someone told me they are doing what Ferrari did with FF
    a two speed transmission for front wheels and DCT mated to rear wheels.
    you can adjust the power delivery for front wheels or even you can turn it into a RWD.
    that's how FF works
    As i said it's just a rumor, a good one actually.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    28
    Rep Points
    16.5
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    0


    Yes Reputation No
    That would be awesome!

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    278
    Rep Points
    146.2
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    2


    Yes Reputation No
    This makes a lot of sense from a sales standpoint. The AWD F10 will get more sales in the snowbelt. BMW AG has already said this. Times are changing and very fast. BMW did not go about this lightly. Since they generally take seven years to develop a car, this decision was made in the very intial stages of talks the board of directors have about a new model. It will be optional and not standard and watch the sales of the AWD model outsell the RWD M5.

    Think of a year-around beast with some snows for winter performance. You have to think they learned valuable lessons with E70 X5 M & E71 X6 M and to prepare people for an AWD M car.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    118,891
    Rep Points
    31,838.9
    Mentioned
    2090 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    319



    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by deemo319 Click here to enlarge
    You have to think they learned valuable lessons with E70 X5 M & E71 X6 M and to prepare people for an AWD M car.
    Yep, how to make them even heavier.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    284
    Rep Points
    0.8
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    0


    Yes Reputation No
    You guys are not understanding. The M truck were BMW's way of telling the nay-sayers, look what we can do with a truck, with our turbo v8's and all wheel drive. Now imagine it in a car weighing considerably less with better aero and even more power. I believe it was all in preparation for this moment. And it damn sure wont hurt sales.

    How many people do you guys/gals think went with Audi instead of BMW because of awd? The GTR, Panamera and now Ferrari is entering. There is a market for awd high performance luxury and BMW would be missing out if they didnt join it.

    I for one like the move but only for the M5. Keep the M3's at its core. This is what the M5's are all about. The best in every aspect.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    118,891
    Rep Points
    31,838.9
    Mentioned
    2090 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    319



    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by lughed Click here to enlarge
    You guys are not understanding. The M truck were BMW's way of telling the nay-sayers, look what we can do with a truck, with our turbo v8's and all wheel drive. Now imagine it in a car weighing considerably less with better aero and even more power. I believe it was all in preparation for this moment
    Really? You think that was all in preparation for this moment?

    Let's not act like those are off-road SUV's anyway. The X5 and X6 are build primarily for street duty. How can a company make 5300 pound 550+ hp turbo SUV's and claim to be efficient, dynamic, and green at the same time? The M SUV's weren't some planned out tactic to soften the blow for an AWD M5. They were a cash grab as BMW saw what Porsche was doing with the Cayenne turbo and what Mercedes was doing with the ML AMG and they simply wanted a piece of it.

    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by lughed Click here to enlarge
    How many people do you guys/gals think went with Audi instead of BMW because of awd? The GTR, Panamera and now Ferrari is entering. There is a market for awd high performance luxury and BMW would be missing out if they didnt join it.
    I think it makes sense somewhat. Much more so than the M SUV's as I said.

    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by lughed Click here to enlarge
    I for one like the move but only for the M5. Keep the M3's at its core. This is what the M5's are all about. The best in every aspect.
    As long as they give us the option I'm cool with it.

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    58
    Rep Points
    58.6
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    0


    Yes Reputation No
    An AWD M5 sounds awesome. I can't imagine what the launch will be like.

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    1,923
    Rep Points
    1,825.9
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    19


    Yes Reputation No
    Doesn't sound bad to me at all. I'm sure BMW will be stealing some RS6 market.

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    118,891
    Rep Points
    31,838.9
    Mentioned
    2090 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    319



    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Bimmerbear Click here to enlarge
    An AWD M5 sounds awesome. I can't imagine what the launch will be like.
    Something like this:

    Click here to enlarge

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    UC - San Diego
    Posts
    128
    Rep Points
    108.3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    2


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sorena Click here to enlarge
    Lame.
    good for guys with more money than sense to take skiing Click here to enlarge

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    le Paris
    Posts
    6,655
    Rep Points
    -195.0
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    0


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by nickr519 Click here to enlarge
    good for guys with more money than sense to take skiing Click here to enlarge
    yes, they want shiny things and it will be the right choice.

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    2,080
    Rep Points
    1,142.0
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    12


    Yes Reputation No
    Well, when it is tuned, you'll need some way of bringing that power to the ground Click here to enlarge

  23. #23
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    1,894
    Rep Points
    1,422.5
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    15


    Yes Reputation No
    Is it really that much of a surprise. Won't they basically just transfer over the X6M/X5M awd system. They already are just transferring the powerplant over.

  24. #24
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    28
    Rep Points
    16.5
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    0


    Yes Reputation No
    AWD is the main reason why i'm going BMW instead of a 2012 Dodge Charger SRT-8. Like I said before a 2012 AWD M would be the perfect used car upgrade in a few years. I might start saving now before I even get the N54! Click here to enlarge

  25. #25
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    118,891
    Rep Points
    31,838.9
    Mentioned
    2090 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    319



    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Potential_535 Click here to enlarge
    AWD is the main reason why i'm going BMW instead of a 2012 Dodge Charger SRT-8. Like I said before a 2012 AWD M would be the perfect used car upgrade in a few years. I might start saving now before I even get the N54! Click here to enlarge
    The price difference between the two is like $50k.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •