Close

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    I'm going to be starting the same build in three weeks, LQ4/4L80E with a pair of turbos in a '97 540i. I'm looking at the pictures and I don't know how your going to plug in the transmission valve body connector, makes me want to re-think my transmission choice. I think this is one of the better conversion ideas out there. Were you able to fit the truck manifolds facing forward? Was the F-body FEAD the one you settled on or does the truck one fit?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

2 out of 2 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Sorry I haven't responded in a while guys, got really hot, and frankly I got really burned out (and ran out of money).

Started putting the diff together tonight, looks like I have most everything I need EXCEPT a press. I feel as though this is me being an idiot, so I'll run it by a friends place and press all the bearing guides in and get it together to check the gear mesh (used gears with a perfect pattern, so I even have something to match).

The rear subframe is out, I'm still deciding how to mount the diff to it (making new offset bushings - I'll go into more detail of all this once I make my mind up). The rubber subframe bushings will be filled with stiff poly from mcmaster. 2 of mine had small tears, the other 2 look perfect, given that I'm filling them with poly I think I'm going to just leave them be otherwise.

My stock axles appear to fit with the new diff (part of why I'm dieing to mock this thing up), which is great news.

Harness arrived, I got scared of it for a few days, now its spread out on the ground and I'm in the process of labelling everything (pinning it out so I know what I need to change).

The plug won't connect, its close, and I could make it fit, but I broke mine in the process of installing the engine once, so I'm going to move the plug (pull the wiring down in the tranny and lengthen it, remove the entire connector from the hole where it is, pull the wires through, and epoxy the hole shut. I'm probably going to adapt the wiring to 4l60e pinouts anyway so that I can use the tranny wiring already on my PCM harness.

What is an FEAD? I couldn't get any manifolds to fit in any direction, but my motor mounts were part of that (could have remade them to make room, but...headers are done now). The other issue is that the steering column is largely in the way, V8 cars have a bit more room, just not sure how much.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2056 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Bimmerdude Click here to enlarge
    Sorry I haven't responded in a while guys, got really hot, and frankly I got really burned out (and ran out of money).
    No worries man, we are here at your pace.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Are you sure the V8 cars have more room due to the steering setup? I was guessing so, but of someone is really SURE, that would be good to know.

Glad you're back!!! Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Sorry, FEAD is Front End Accessory Drive, it's a term from from work. I have the truck set-up. I picked up the car and I don't think I'll be able to run two down pipes. Might be a single T76 instead of a pair of GT35's.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

The V8's are easier for a number of reasons, the inline 6 subframe however, does force you to shove the motor way back which isn't a bad thing, but there is way less room everywhere as a result.

For the FEAD I was concerned that the F-body/CTS-V/GTO style was going to have clearance issues with the frame rail and it also would have crowded my steering rack a bit. I ended up with the corvette style drive, same water pump, otherwise its all different (shallower belt line). Note - I didn't know and ordered everything separately, but there are part numbers for the entire belt drive from GM. Its not priced high, I would recommend looking into that instead of following in my footsteps.

I've been researching power steering lines and fuel lines tonight, almost have my PN list together and will place that order soon.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Brakes went out on my truck, and got a counter back on a house I'm looking at, so not expecting to get ANYTHING done this week.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2056 Post(s)

Brakes went out on my truck, and got a counter back on a house I'm looking at, so not expecting to get ANYTHING done this week.
    No worries, you have your priorities straight.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Having brakes on my daily and a place to live (and an air conditioned garage).

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Having brakes on my daily and a place to live (and an air conditioned garage).
    Bro, those are DAMN good priorities!!!! I wish my garage had ac, might have to run a vent over there..............
    Click here to enlarge

"2 things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity............and I'm not sure about the universe" - Albert Einstein

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Ok, got some pretty things today (also feel poor again, because what you don't see is the other $400 in stuff I ordered).

Click here to enlarge

This, combined with some parts from summit (the red horse fittings assemble easier than earls, russel, aeroquip, and summit, haven't compared others) will finish my oil system (including temp and pressure senders), my tranny cooler lines, and some of my fuel system, although I need to spend another couple hundred before thats going to be done.

Also borrowed a 12 ton press so I can play with my diff this weekend, time to put parts in the freezer!

Edit - forgot to say thanks as always!

Big things to come in the next two months (I'll do my best to document everything), this beast should be running around the time I move in to my new house Click here to enlarge
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)

Also borrowed a 12 ton press so I can play with my diff this weekend, time to put parts in the freezer!
    and you are gonna do this yourself? man i'm really impressed.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sorena Click here to enlarge
    and you are gonna do this yourself? man i'm really impressed.
    I'm not really sure. I've got his as reference:
    http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e39...some-pics.html

And my ring and pinion have a visible wear pattern to match, so its just a matter of pressing stuff together a couple times I think. I still might farm this out though (we'll see).

I've spent probably close to 20 hours in the last week just looking at wiring for the car. GM has like 10 different PCM's to choose from, and with HP tuners you can interchange a number of PCM's and run the same software and wiring configuration. The 411 PCM's seem to be the most flexible on the transmission side, so I'll be using that, but with F-body programming (and a 4l80e segment - from a truck bin file) so that I can use the Corvette AC compressor which uses a more sophisticated control scheme than the truck AC system.

Long and short of it, I think I've found enough power coming from the factory wiring that I can re-use all of the fan relays, and ignition relays (for powering coils, PCM, fuel injectors, etc.). My concern is that I'll be overloading the factory wiring since the Chevy engine is both a V8 and has a power hungry auto.

Also, second note, I'm going to be showing some AN line tips I've learned, its actually really easy to assemble if you are patient and methodical (and know a couple tricks).

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Any progress?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by lisco Click here to enlarge
    Any progress?
    Car is moved to the new house, but I'm behind schedule on finishing all the remodel on it. I might be able to get to the car in a few weeks, and the hard parts are done, so its just a matter of actually getting my space all tidied up.

I'll post some house pics soon, much better work space Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2056 Post(s)

Car is moved to the new house, but I'm behind schedule on finishing all the remodel on it. I might be able to get to the car in a few weeks, and the hard parts are done, so its just a matter of actually getting my space all tidied up.

I'll post some house pics soon, much better work space Click here to enlarge
    Congrats on the new house.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Thanks!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

How's everything going on the new house? I'm hoping you are able to work on this project again, it is a fantastic combo.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Oh, sorry, I forgot to ask -- regarding the FEAD, did you confirm that the truck one won't work? Assuming that is the case, with getting your parts from GM are you finding that you can assemble the whole collection of parts for less than the $900+ that a full F-body setup is fetching on eBay?

That price plus the cost of the LS1 intake manifold really seems to push the balance toward just buying an LS1 out of a vette from the start.... On the other hand, if the truck accessories worked in the e39, that L33 or even the LM7 is a pretty awesome (preferred) option depending on how much boost you're gonna want to run through it. I guess if you have a more cost effective solution for the FEAD than eBay, then those motors are still a really good choice.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Any update on this, I am anxious to see how the car is coming. I am guessing it will be very badass once it's done.
    Click here to enlarge

"2 things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity............and I'm not sure about the universe" - Albert Einstein

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Almost 14 months since contact with the OP.... Click here to enlarge

I fear the project has hit a snag or gotten "back-burnered."

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456