Close

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

2 out of 2 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    I have a friend from high school helping me, and I ask advice of a few coworkers, but in terms of the work, so far its been me with a few hours of help from my friend. I try not to work under the engine hoist much without someone here, I live in a hidden location so if something happened it would be a while before I was found to say the least.

Some progress (and regress) tonight. My version 1, and version 2 motor mount mock ups are both wrong. The version 1 mockups were 2" too wide (total) so I got the width right on version 2. Unfortunately, the engine just sits too high where I was trying to place it (making the truck oil pan work). The motor mounts need to be shortened an inch or more - not a big deal, an hours work or less and I should have them ready to be bolted on to measure for the steel. I'm thinking I'll need a new oil pan (duh after you see pictures), but its going to be something custom based on what I'm seeing. I need to get the engine on a stand (maybe tomorrow?) and pull the pan to see how much I can really modify everything.

So, anyway, engine is resting on the subframe, the transmission on a jack, it doesn't really fit correctly, but its approximately in the right locations, and exhaust etc. will fit wonderfully. The entire powertrain needs to slide an inch forward, which will help on the trans tunnel, but I'm still going to have to do a couple things I was hoping to avoid with the wiring the main tranny connector won't work - moving it is doable but will require a lot of extra effort on my part.

Some pictures...

Got the engine in, and sitting happily, look at all that room.
    Click here to enlarge

The transmission almost sortof fits Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge

The oil pan might hang a bit low (LOL)
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge

And a couple gratuitous pics after I pulled the hoist away, just to show that it really does fit together (also the hood closes).
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Looking good bro Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Ok, so I didn't do much tonight worth posting pictures of. I did get the wooden mounts mostly completed, but I also spent hundreds of dollars today, which is the more exciting part. Start with the pics:

From underneath, you can see the mounts aren't touching the biscuits (and are about a 1/4" to 1/2" too narrow - this is by design). The engine needs to come down just about an inch, and I'll have a bit of trimming to do on the mounts to get the final template done, but its close to what is shown.
    Click here to enlarge

A few more pictures, just to show how things fit together:
    Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Ok, so that wasn't really anything too new or exciting. And frankly I wasn't motivated to do much more. I did however buy a ring/pinion/LSD out of an E46 M3, this stuff is beefy - and packaged so pictures would just be of plastic bags with bubble wrap, I don't see a need to open it. The plan is to buy an M5 housing with 540 stubs and some other fun bits to build myself a diff. I learned how this afternoon, I don't really have the tools to do it right, so I might have to rent something, we'll see.

I also bought an oil pan (will be here tomorrow):
    http://www.summitracing.com/parts/MOR-20140/

Based on initial measurements it will fit nearly perfectly, and the local race shop liked my layout for the sway bar relocation, now its just a matter of putting it together.

I also did a lot of belt drive research. I've been looking for F-body or GTO parts, but started looking, and think the Vette stuff will fit better. So I ordered an alternator/power steering bracket from www.gmpartsdirect.com, should take at least a week to come in, if I'm lucky, so I wanted to order it ASAP. I'm planning to run this balancer as my stock one won't work, and well I like SFI certified parts: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-C2501/

Some more info (for anyone else who might see this as a resource). There are 3 belt drive heights for LSx motors. The corvette engines mount the belt closest to the block, with the other cars (F-body/GTO) mounting a bit further out, and the trucks a lot further out. This means with the Vette stuff I should pick up over an inch of engine bay space (nice for working on things and routing lines).

Still need to order a starter, alternator, power steering pump, and AC compressor. The idler and tensioner I'll get later, they are cheap enough everywhere, and I might have some spare/free parts I can use.

My shifter came in the mail today, it looks like a stock BMW auto shifter...didn't even think to take a picture as it was so unexciting. I removed the brake safety cable (you know the feature that prevents you from shifting out of park without pressing the brake? Yeah I didn't either, been 7 years since I've owned an auto, ironically that was a 4l80e as well).

My goals for tomorrow are to get the engine and tranny pulled, separated, and the engine on a stand (if I can beg borrow or steal one). I'd like to get the oil pans swapped out and put everything back together and back in the car, but that might be a bit lofty of a goal considering I'm not even sure I have long enough bolts for the engine stand.

As a parting note. The more I read on LS1tech, and a couple other sites I've been browsing, the more depressed I get about how tight lipped some members of our community are. If there is something I do on this swap that I don't post enough detail on, please ask, I'll do my best to explain it, sometimes I just don't see things from the other side of the screen. I only keep things quiet that a company teaches me and I don't have permission to post, out of respect for their wishes (although I also give them way less credit).

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Love it! I really like garage builds, shows a lot of good ingenuity and git-r-done attitude you have definitely makes it a fun build to watch.
    Some people live long, meaningful lives.

Other people eat shit and die.

I'm not racist, I hate everybody equally; especially fat people.

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Thanks, its definitely motivating to do this all on jackstands under my house (stilt house, hence I have a lot of workspace, its just all open).

I picked up my oil pan tonight, saw one of the sickest Ford Falcons I think I'll ever see, and completely lost motivation to work for a few hours after getting home.

Regained it and accomplished my goals.

Good things:
    Oil pan is very nice (happy I went with the moroso on this one)
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge

And it fits really well:
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge

Bad things:
    GTO manifolds hit steering column
    Truck manifolds hit steering column

That pretty much leaves custom headers, which I didn't want to have to deal with yet, but I guess it is what it is.

Also, putting an engine in a car by yourself is a bad idea, I almost destroyed some brake lines on the firewall, and just generally struggled. But its in and fits much better with the new oil pan, so I'm at least happy that I have that issue resolved.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Bimmerdude Click here to enlarge
    As a parting note. The more I read on LS1tech, and a couple other sites I've been browsing, the more depressed I get about how tight lipped some members of our community are. If there is something I do on this swap that I don't post enough detail on, please ask, I'll do my best to explain it, sometimes I just don't see things from the other side of the screen. I only keep things quiet that a company teaches me and I don't have permission to post, out of respect for their wishes (although I also give them way less credit).
    In this community, some people think money is everything....so they will protect their info as best as they can. Some people make money off doing swaps and engine info and all that stuff, so they would rather the people be ill informed and have to bring it to them rather than try to attempt it on their own.

From a business perspective, I can kinda agree with what they do, but at the same time it also prevents the community from growing. But maybe that is a good thing? The people who are die-hard enthusiasts will figure out a way to get the info or do it themselves...while the rest of the losers and people with their hands out expecting $#@! for free will have to pay..and that usually stops them from doing it.

Case in point, the whole SR20DET/240sx craze. Most people brought their cars to shops in the beginning to have it done, as the wire info and everything behind it was 'secret'. Its how shops made their money. Then you get one enterprising geek who takes one for the team, then goes back into the harness and finds every wire they crossed, and makes a note of it and posts it online..and BAM, now everyone has that info, and suddenly people are doing engine swaps in their driveways.s

The problem is that 90% of the shadetree mechanic swaps for those cars are real $#@!box swaps...powerful engines into rusting chassis, or they bring it in for a problem and the wires are all strewn hapazardly around, and you think 'wtf this is ghetto'. My mentality is that if you dont have the money to play, you shouldnt. But in that quest to get the need for speed, they will do whatever it takes to get that feeling. Even if it means the rear subframe is falling out of the car or the seat rail mounting points have rotted out and the seat is about to take a dump right through the floor, fast and furious style.

I guess I can be guilty of being biased too sometimes...I try to encourage and help people in the best way that I can, but with some I try to not say anything, as they dont 'deserve' the info that I worked hard to figure out. In the end, who am I to keep someone from their desire? Maybe its the thought of keeping others safe on the road, rather than having this person go flying about, possibly wrecking his car and injuring himself or someone else.

I applaud what you do with this car...I wanted to swap an LS1 into the E28 but the figure ran into the 10k range....Im not a person who cuts corners at all and usually ends up going overkill, and that ended that idea pretty quickly.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    And I understand the point you're making, but as a DIYer, I hate the thought of not doing the work simply because I can't find the info on how to do it. The auto I wouldn't rebuild - because the tools required to do it right, costs almost as much as paying someone to do it right, and chances are, I'll break something somewhere during the rebuild and it'll end up costing more, and being less reliable.

Other things I'm more stubborn on. If I can gather the tools to do it, my diff will be built on my workbench, the process isn't impossible, and I want to learn how, and be able to say I did it. People like me won't pay a shop for this level of work, so information online or in the shop, won't make a difference for business.

A good example I can give is grannysspeedshop.com
    They sell conversion kits for RX7's, read the instructions, thorough, lots of info, whether you buy the kit or not you have access. Result? I'll buy parts from them for that swap.

A larger community is more business, granny's helped attract me to the RX7 community, and therefore gained a customer, by posting the info they did.

The argument against sharing information is that you end up with more competitors, and I guess I view it simply. If you are the best, the guys reading your instructions should never be better, if you aren't the best, then how can you justify a premium price? (You is figurative)

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Good work dude. That pan fits in there perfectly.
    Click here to enlargeClick here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2084 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Every time I check this thread there are updates, good and surprisingly quick progress.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2084 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I don't understand why people keep things secret either which just hurts the community but the BMW community isn't filled with the nicest people or true gearheads as much as badgewhores to begin with.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    Every time I check this thread there are updates, good and surprisingly quick progress.
    Thanks, I'm super motivated to get this thing done right now, and haven't run out of things to do yet (or $$ YET).

So last night I mostly just hung out with some friends, and ordered some parts for the car. Going to 530/540 front brakes as a cheap upgrade, so ordered some rotors and pads. Ordered my water pump and power steering pump (both new pieces). Will be going to a junkyard to get a starter soon, and still trying to figure out if I need the clutch on my alternator or not (they clutch the auto's alternators when they went to the 145 amp, and I need the 145 amp to even begin to run my car LOL).

Tonight I was a lot more motivated and got to things a bit earlier. Pulled the powertrain from its home after taking a few measurements. Put the steering shaft back in before I forgot (need to check for header fitments), and got out my hammer. I spent a long time under the car, repeatedly working to exhaustion beating the ever living crap out of the tunnel. Then I put the powertrain back in. I realized I hadn't taken a picture of this process at all, and working alone tonight I could only take a couple, but with the subframe lowered a bit (still on the bolts) I'm able to slide it all in.

Click here to enlarge

A little closer
    Click here to enlarge

Showing the clearance for drivers side header. I can't make them entirely symmetrical because the banks aren't in the same position front to back, but this is the tighter side because of the steering shaft and the oil/power steering lines. I still have to install the starter, flex plate, torque converter, and the dust shield for everything, so there isn't quite as much room as shown, but I had a 4" aluminum pipe laying around and it fit with tons of room around it, so getting 1-3/4" primaries through shouldn't be too hard.
    Click here to enlarge

Same area from under the car
    Click here to enlarge

The pictures are kinda poor (using my phone and in poor lighting laying on a creeper - 3 no-no's) but you can see how tight it all is underneath. Everything in the tunnel is at least an inch wider, most areas closer to 2 or 3 inches. Lots and lots of hammering, with a bit more to go (getting an air hammer for the rest of it).

Drivers side:
    Click here to enlarge

Passenger side:
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge

And a view from as far back as I could roll, you can see I've got it all the way up, will have to adjust it later to get the angles right on the driveshaft.
    Click here to enlarge

I'm going to try to get over to a co-workers house to cut my plates out tomorrow, but it might not be until saturday or sunday, should have the motor mounts fabbed by early next week at the latest. I plan on getting a set waterjetted once I have time to actually cad everything up - I want to include all the plate for my trans cross member and a couple other pieces I'll be making with my waterjet run, its by the hour so I want to get it all at once, most shops have a 2-3 hour minimum setup fee, so I only want to do this once. If I do CAD it all, I'll post the files in case anyone else tries this down the road.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

its about time you went v8 lol Click here to enlarge I only told you to do it a little over a year ago

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by kartermdb Click here to enlarge
    its about time you went v8 lol Click here to enlarge I only told you to do it a little over a year ago
    He will begin raping soon
    Click here to enlargeClick here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2084 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by kartermdb Click here to enlarge
    And who are you good sir?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    My friend from high school that has been helping me. And he has been sure to say I told you so at least 100x since I decided to go through with this.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2084 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    My friend from high school that has been helping me. And he has been sure to say I told you so at least 100x since I decided to go through with this.
    Well that may be deserved depending on the result. Seems these swaps are getting more and more popular.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

2 out of 2 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Yup, I am the friend who has been helping since the initial turbo a little over a year ago. I honestly cant wait to see what its like when its done, it will definitely surprise some people. I have the supercharged 04 gto that he talked about in one of his earlier posts. He should be able to take me at the track, but on the highway it will be a different story since I am 6 speed.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    Well that may be deserved depending on the result. Seems these swaps are getting more and more popular.
    No question I deserve it. I spent a lot of money I won't get back by not listening, I told him right away that I should have listened. Some of us just have trouble taking good advice.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2084 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    How difficult would you guys say this swap is?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

At my skill level this is pretty difficult. Being perfectly honest I'm in completely over my head. That said, I have a really good support network that will bail me out if/when I get stuck.

There is a bit of everything complicated going on:

Custom motor/tranny mounts
    Custom driveshaft
    Custom harness wiring (spliced into an already complicated car)
    Coolant system integration (easy to be perfectly honest)
    AC integration (just need custom lines and a couple wiring changes)
    Power steering lines
    Custom headers

Its a lot of metal work, not really something I'm very good at, but something I'm definitely trying to improve.

Beyond that the hard part is that I picked one of the largest transmissions GM has ever made because I don't want to have issues with breaking parts in my driveline. The trans tunnel is almost fully clearanced now, and I'm working on the trans cross member (its tacked together, although I'm not sure I like it).

I was really running late on everything so pictures took a back seat, have a couple from when I was cutting the metal for the X-member, will try to post more tomorrow but I have a lot going on.

Cutting some flat metal for the trans cross member
    Click here to enlarge

And cutting the channel for the cross member
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2084 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    At my skill level this is pretty difficult. Being perfectly honest I'm in completely over my head. That said, I have a really good support network that will bail me out if/when I get stuck.

There is a bit of everything complicated going on:

Custom motor/tranny mounts
    Custom driveshaft
    Custom harness wiring (spliced into an already complicated car)
    Coolant system integration (easy to be perfectly honest)
    AC integration (just need custom lines and a couple wiring changes)
    Power steering lines
    Custom headers
    It looks pretty damn complicated to me man, I doubt I could do it. Good thing you have friend willing to help with the process!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    It is a lot to do, but in the end it isn't that much. Just mostly time consuming. When it comes to projects like this, we help each other do stuff, like we went to the junkyard to pull his tranny, and ended up pulling a t5 for my fc project lol. We will never pull 2 trannys in a junkyard again.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    And I understand the point you're making, but as a DIYer, I hate the thought of not doing the work simply because I can't find the info on how to do it. The auto I wouldn't rebuild - because the tools required to do it right, costs almost as much as paying someone to do it right, and chances are, I'll break something somewhere during the rebuild and it'll end up costing more, and being less reliable.

Other things I'm more stubborn on. If I can gather the tools to do it, my diff will be built on my workbench, the process isn't impossible, and I want to learn how, and be able to say I did it. People like me won't pay a shop for this level of work, so information online or in the shop, won't make a difference for business.

A good example I can give is grannysspeedshop.com
    They sell conversion kits for RX7's, read the instructions, thorough, lots of info, whether you buy the kit or not you have access. Result? I'll buy parts from them for that swap.

A larger community is more business, granny's helped attract me to the RX7 community, and therefore gained a customer, by posting the info they did.

The argument against sharing information is that you end up with more competitors, and I guess I view it simply. If you are the best, the guys reading your instructions should never be better, if you aren't the best, then how can you justify a premium price? (You is figurative)

very good points made.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    These engines take what, 5 wires to get them running? Getting the cluster to work can always come later..getting it to fire is always first priority Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Thats more or less the goal, I just am not starting with a harness, I'm starting with a box of connectors...and I think I need like 40 pins or so from what I've read so far.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast