Close

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

2 out of 2 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No

TT stg II e36 M3 just wasnt enough.....

Hey all,
    Sticky grabbed my off another forum and felt you all would like to see my current project.

started as turbo upgrade, turned into a 3+ month personal rebuild obsession Click here to enlarge. Started w/ the turbo upgrade last August.......and its still torn apart! had about 2 months of driving in between downtimes. Winter was a perfect time to do all this but now its time to melt some tires!

Have really enjoyed tearing this car apart multiple times, learning every nut and bolt, etc. Feels great and it will be realllllly satisfying to tear up the local roads in it soon.

================================================== ==========

Finally felt good enough this evening to tear into the M3. Its been sitting on Adam's lift all week without oil and the mid pipe removed in prep for this.

I tore into it, this is all new territory for me on an e36 and I'm loving it :redspot.

Front bumper is off

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

new Fujita air filter
    Click here to enlarge

time to clean its teeth...yuck bugs everywhere

Click here to enlarge

Hello

Click here to enlarge

2 quick interior shots.....needs some conditioner on the vinyl, been sitting w/ the windows open baking in his garage during the day

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

The M3's stabelmate for the few weeks it will be under the knife, Adam's beautiful M5. Its going up on the lift Saturday to get a new clutch :redspot.

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Intercooler is off

Click here to enlarge

Skipping WAY ahead the downpipe and wastegate are already off, turbo has been unbolted, coolant drained and the turbo is FREEEEEE to go to anther car

Click here to enlarge

BUT holy crap, I had no idea this was going on

Click here to enlarge

I'm guessing the turbo was like this since I've owned it. The car has only run better and better since I've got it since i'm giving seriously needed maintenance and love. Sooooo i'm actually really pumped since I cant wait to feel the difference of a well running gt35r!!!! If this little guy w/ these shredded ass blades was running as fast and smooth as it was, god I cant wait for 35r and meth w a custome tune.

I EXCITE

the 60-1 will receive a new compressor wheel and is going to be sold along with a lot of other turbo parts. I already have a buyer lined up guys so no need to PM me.

In comparison

gt35r .82 vs the TT stg II 60-1 turbo

Click here to enlarge

Back down for a few more things under the hood like removing all intake piping

Click here to enlarge

obviously havent touched it yet. I'm going to take this oppurtunity to clean up the wiring in the engine bay. Hide the HID ballasts, etc.

Click here to enlarge

Cleaned up for the evening and will be back for more tomorrow

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

MORE TO COME!!!
    Last edited by sniz; 03-30-2010 at 06:11 PM.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    UPDATE 8/30

Got a little more time....30 minutes or so and opened up the 35r to "reclock" it and rotate the compressor housing to match the old turbo. Also took the time to degrease and clean the compressor housing.
    Nothing crazy, more coming tomorrow night....god willing it will be mounted.
    Got it apart
    Click here to enlarge
    Compressor
    Click here to enlarge
    Housing (no gasket)
    Click here to enlarge
    Rotated to match the 60-1
    Click here to enlarge
    Random parts laying around the garage, will have these organized and cleaned tomorrow too
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    Downpipe and Wastegate pipe
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    mid pipe and charge pipe
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

UPDATE 8/31

Spent about 2 hours working on the car/turbo tonight.....work keeps getting in the way of my fun!!
    test fitted the gt35r to find 2 points of contact with the transmission/engine block.
    Problem #1
    This fitting for the vacuum hose for boost control is in the wrong spot. Previous owner had the compressor housing 180 degrees in the other direction so it worked for him. Had to remove it. Will find a brass plug for this hole tomorrow and find someone to retap in a better location.
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    Problem #2
    and then the exhaust housing is/was contacting the transmission here. Spent about 30 minutes with a grinding wheel and got my clearance Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    ITS ON BABY
    ok, well now its off, have to get that fitting retapped tomorrow and then it will be on for good.
    I have a weeping oil pan gasket and rear main seal as you can see here. These will be addressed this winter once I have more downtime on the car.
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    thats it for today

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

9/4 update

Spent some more time over the past 3 days and got the turbo retapped, installed which required a few trips to Sears for shorty box ends to reach all the bolts/nuts, installed the hoses and clamps, removed all piping and degreased everything, tore apart the cooling system and installed a new Stewart water pump, low temp tstat, and tried to install a new fan switch but it seems to be the wrong one??

anyway, here are the updates, getting closer!!!

drill press

Click here to enlarge

drilled

Click here to enlarge

tapped

Click here to enlarge

my helper....lol these things are GREAT, very adjustable and are designed for handing drywall

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

the nuts holding the turbo onto the TT mani are a $#@! to get at w/ the 35r, much worse than the regular 60-1. Anyway its up, tight and all hoses on. I put clamps on the hoses after this shot.

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

I reclocked the compressor housing to gain as much ground clearance as possible....looks good!

Click here to enlarge

Ripped out all turbo hardware and piping and degreased and rinsed

Click here to enlarge

intercooler was cleaned and rinsed out, remounted

Click here to enlarge

Took out the water pump, not sure which one the old one is but it didnt look very good compared to the new Stewart one

Click here to enlarge

and here is the new fan switch, wrong one...hmm. new on left, old on right

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Slay0r Click here to enlarge
    dam,...you do like to "do it yourself"
    lol....yes I do, much more satisfying than paying someone else. Love learning about the car too!

9/5 UPDATE

worked this morning and met a very good new client....:happyanim:
    he alone could possibly pay for this entire car and all upgrades twice over......sweeeeeeeet

so i'm getting closer, put all turbo piping back on, hooked up the MAF, etc. Also rewired my HID's for the headlights and hid the ballasts so they are no longer in the engine bay...cleaner.
    Click here to enlarge

I did run into a problem with lining up the charge piping with the new turbo, looks like I'll have to have this pipe altered a bit to make it line up, oh well.

Click here to enlarge

then spent almost 2 hours cleaning all the wheels and re wheel waxing them then remounted. Also refilled the cooling system but will have to wait to bleed it, which sucks.
    as she sits now, ready for the front bumper and other trim pieces to go back on, then on Tuesday its off to the shop for some welding and custom work and then ITS GAME TIME BABY!!

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

funny, Adam did a little burnout in his 335, had to get a pic of this. He needs to lay down some rubber in here w/ his M5 too

Click here to enlarge

more to come tomorrow!! Hoping to have it all buttoned up by then. Need to wash the engine bay out, there are metal shavings everywhere from grinding down the tranny.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

last update until it comes back from the shop. Will get flatbedded Tuesday over to MA-Motorsports here in Baltimore for all the custom work. See here: http://www.mamsparts.com/

Got it all buttoned up today and ready to roll, well almost.

Got the bumper mounted up with the help of our 2 trusty Craftsman detailing seats Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

All trim and x-brace back on. It sure is nice to have some real rubber up front :evil2

Click here to enlarge

Pushed it back to the wash pit to degrease the entire engine bay now that its all back together. Main concern was small metal shavings ALL over the place from where I had to grind down the tranny a bit, wanted those gone.

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

All clean!! and before anyone says anything, I have a m50 manifold sitting ready to go in. Just haven't picked up the necessary little parts yet.

Click here to enlarge

Thinking of having MA custom fab me a full metal "up-pipe" from the intercooler to the MAF to get rid of that huge silicone section. Would also allow me to relocate the BOV for a little more clearance from the body.

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Pushed back up where it will sleep until Tuesday

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

and in case stupid comes to town

Click here to enlarge

I'm seein the light at the end of the tunnel, car has only been out of commission for I think a week and a half or so but i'm already seriously antsy. Want it back on the road!!

Will report back when more is happening Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    On the way to the shop, last update until its done
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Figured out my smoking and exhaust leak issues......The problem is the turbo was pointing straight down on the previous owners AA log manifold, on my Technique Tuning manifold its ****ed as you can see the photos to about 7 to 7:30 if your looking from the rear of the car. Reclocking the turbo would be easy IF the bolts weren't seized due to the heat these turbo's run at on the exhaust side.......I snapped the head off one tonight trying to free it. So thats a no go.
    I am ordering a MaximumPSI oil sump kit tomorrow that will solve any issues, it will pull the oil out and send it right into the oil pain. It should solve all issues. I have no choice at this point.
    I also pressure tested the exhaust tonight and it looks like the V-band is NOT leaking thank god......its actually the old gasket that was re-used on the new wastegate pipe off that same TT manifold. It seems that manifold does not have a well machined flange for the new wastegate pipe to seal to. Its a brand new flange that has been customed fitted to the manifold and it wont seal w/ the typical metal gasket, so i'm going to try a thicket style in hopes of eliminating this large pre-turbo exhaust leak.

w/ those 2 things out of the way this car should feel great and only get better. I drove it today again and it simply did not smoke at all until I let it sit at idle for roughly 5 minutes once the oil temp was at 200 degrees.

I'm seeing the light at the end of the tunnel!!!

here are the pics of new custom SS piping work. I'm pleased with this new shop.
    you can see all the new pipes here.....in total all 4 pipes in and out of the turbo were re-worked and cleaned up. Much better welds than the previous kit had.

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

New 3" intake pipe

Click here to enlarge

Here is the best pic I have of the new custom charge pipe going to the intercooler. Its been coated in black. Its an oval shape right off the turbo, under the frame rail and sway bar then opens up into the typical circle shape.
    its picked me up well over 1.5" in ground clearance. I'm running full down on ground control coilovers to test the clearance and so far i've been good. :party0030:

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    from yesterday:
    Spent a little time over at Motorsports Performance in Frederick, MD dynoing our cars to get baselines for future upgrades.
    I dyno'd my 335 here many moons ago when I had just installed the 1st Helix intercooler sold (it was actually their prototype) w/ just V2 Procede and that intercooler.

1st up was Adam's (Clem, former Vishnu powered 335 owner) beautiful super clean e39 M5. Adam just ordered ESS's super charger kit for his M5, watch out locals.....this car is about to be a beast. Adam put down a top 10 M5 run at MIR w a 12.92 at 108mph in this car, so we know its strong. After a few very dissappointing heat soaked runs the car was set to cool and a larger fan was brought in.

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Beatiful BillyBoat powder coated exhaust...what a sound!!!

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

His dyno graphs. You can see w/ adequate airflow and letting the car cool it didnt pull timing anymore. One of these runs was done in 5th gear which is 1:1 for the M5....speeds in excess of 150mph!
    he's expecting another 120whp from the S/C!!!!

Click here to enlarge

edit: Adam just received this today Click here to enlarge Goin over tonight to get familiar w/ the kit and install it this weekend!!! Christmas came early!! I feel sorry for his rear tires...

Click here to enlarge

================================================== =====

Next up was Scott's 335....super clean 2007 w full stage III mods. It does have high flow cats in the downpipes so its not fully *******.

Running Procede V3 10-9 Maps at 85% here w/ 60% ign corr on pump gas. Car was only hitting 14.8psi which is great for the power!

Now thats a smoooooooooth high HP pump gas pull. Must feel great.

Click here to enlarge

Here is his 1st pull on the standard map settings compared to my pull way back when....my how the tunes have progressed.

Click here to enlarge

================================================== ====

Next was my turn.......
    LOL
    I shouldnt even be driving my car much less dynoing it. Car has a blown head gasket between cylinders 5 and 6 I believe. Luckily NO oil in the coolant or vice versa. Coolant is getting pressurized and there is coolant leaking out the back of the head. Parts on order from Radowski and it should be replaced next week hopefully. Got a BMW Master tech coming over this weekend to work on it with me at the garage.
    anywho we fixed a boost leak that I attempted to fix w/ JB weld....:bellyroll then strapped her down. I only put it on low boost (8 psi). Car went really lean (13.4) and the operator let out early at around 5300rpms, redline is 7200rpms. Made 320whp when he let out even w/ all that crap going on. In true form w/ the new turbo it should be 420-450whp at 13psi. Needs a retune badly and the new Aquamist HFS6osa is going in. Cant wait for the new power :buttrock

Click here to enlarge

New Euro Mtech wheel w/ custom recover....LOVE IT

Click here to enlarge

Hopefully they can chime in and post their vids or pics.....had fun today boys!
    cant wait to get back there w/ your new mods and my car running right :thumbsup:

=======================

OK Adam posted his vids:

Video's by Adam, owner of the M5

Ok, heres the vids.....
    First up, Scott's dyno queen.Click here to enlarge 380whp - SAE corrected - barely touching 15 psi! Dude!! My feet were about 6" from the dyno's wheel while filming this. So if I'm not holding perfectly still, it's because I was soiling myself.Click here to enlarge

Next is my heat soaked M5. The more I think about it, the madder I get. Don't ask, just watch.

Last up is Matt's M3. Um, just a few issues on this shortened pull :eyecrazy. Looks fast though!:thumbsup:

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Well the car started developing all the symptoms of a blown head gasket late last year, so I started a tear down last week to replace it, o-ring the block for more boost, add in arp2000 studs and reinstall everything.
    Also pulled the tranny and driveshaft, having the tranny rebuilt a bit for better shifting and new guibo. pulling the clutch and flywheel to replace the rear main seal and oil pan gasket, do a oil pump nut fix, etc. New stainless brake lines as well.
    Once its all back together after the head is back from the machine shop it will be time for one more piece of custom charge pipe with a new BOV, then install the meth kit and get ready for tuning. Lots to do and not much time!!!
    ==========================
    Tear down beginning
    Hey guys,
    my MLS from the original TT stg II kit seemed to let go somewhere in the cyl 5 or 6 area...not sure yet, we'll see.

I'm going to keep this thread active to post questions etc on my progress, i'm sure I'll have many!

Started tonight on the tear down and made some pretty good progress! This is starting to get more routine on this car for me which is nice. I'm about to venture into new territory for me so this will get interesting.

Using my little waterprooof digi instead of my big Nikon so the pics are not nearly as clear Click here to enlarge, I'll bring the Nikon for the next work session.

Exhaust manifold, turbo, and downpipe w/ wastegate are out. as you can see the car has leaking/weeping oil pan gasket and rear main seal. Both will be addressed before the car is back on the road. Also going to pull the tranny and rebuild the shift pins, I believe they are causing the tranny to feel really sloppy while in gear.

Click here to enlarge

exhaust mani

dont see any leaks on these gaskets but the damned wastegate pipe is leaking again. I'll have both flanges decked when the head is decked to assure a clean/flat surface.

Click here to enlarge

Turbo is out

Click here to enlarge

Coolant leaking at cyl 6

Click here to enlarge

getting ready for the top end tear down....best work light ever :buttrock

Click here to enlarge

Valve cover is off, things look good up here to me but i'm no expert. No sludge or metal shavings. There is a little wear on the cam lobes but doesnt look bad to me for 86k miles....what do you think??

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

s52 intake mani is off thank god, what a mess!!!

Click here to enlarge

Intake on cyl 5 and 6

Click here to enlarge

cyl 6

some sludge from excessive turbo oil blow by....blown seals ftl

Click here to enlarge

where I left it for tonight, vanos cover ready to come off and timing going to be locked in....this is where the new territory starts for me :eyecrazy

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    and last nights progress....things look very good inside the motor...im pretty stoked about that.
    =============
    got the head off tonight w Ryan's help. Not sure it would have happened w/ out him there!

my impressions, not an easy job for sure, lot of little delicate parts that could be broken for sure. Need to keep all the bolts, nuts, etc organized during the job so you know where they go for reassembly.

tranny is out, Ryan is taking it to work tomorrow to redo the shift pins...he rocks.

clutch
    Click here to enlarge

vanos cover coming off
    Click here to enlarge

our BMW special tool part #029494nail
    Click here to enlarge

cam chains
    Click here to enlarge

coming off
    Click here to enlarge

honestly the chains, sprockets, and tensioners were the only confusing part of removing the head, but you dont want to f them up!

cams coming out
    Click here to enlarge

bare head
    Click here to enlarge

all cylinders how we found them

Click here to enlarge

Cyl 1
    Click here to enlarge

Cyl 2
    Click here to enlarge

Cyl 3
    Click here to enlarge

Cyl 4
    Click here to enlarge

Cyl 5
    Click here to enlarge

Cyl 6
    Click here to enlarge

and here is the damaged MLS head gasket, it almost looks like something in the coolant damaged the gasket and lead to its destruction!

Click here to enlarge

you can clearly see where the coolant was entering cylinders 5 and mainly 6
    Click here to enlarge

the good news is the motors appears to be very healthy still, no visible wear on the cylinders, you can even still see the cross hatched machine marks after 86k miles!

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

a little cleaner and super fine steel wool and cyl 1 looked literally good as new!

Click here to enlarge

and cyl 6 gets the same treatment, it looks a little worse than cyl 1 but it cleaned up 100x easier, must have been the coolant working the grime loose

Click here to enlarge

Overall I am VERY pleased with the condition of the motor after tear down....please let me know if you guys see anything that I should pay attention to or be alarmed by.

Click here to enlarge

bare head and wastegate piping ready to head to the machine shop

Click here to enlarge

next step is to o-ring the block!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    head is back from the machine shop along with my wastegate piping. Apparently the flanges on both ends were pretty well warped from the welding, explains why I couldnt get rid of the exhaust leaks!!

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

and the pooch looking at me like i'm crazy for having the head in the kitchen island like some sort of HP shrine

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    hey guys, i'm back!!!

Went thru a pretty bad sinus reconstruction in early in early February and then the crazy ass blizzards we've had around here so no work on the car in wayyyy too long.

Here is where I am now. Thanks to a great member here I got a great rundown on how to properly prep the block in car and get ready for oringing. Local member Boris is lending me his oring tool, thanks man!

Today's progress, more will happen Saturday as i'm slammed tomorrow w plans in the evening.

1st step

sealing the cylinders so no metal shavings or wd40 (which will be used as lubricant for the honing stones I'll be using on the block later) enter the cylinder which could certainly cause damage.

I've been trying to figure out the best way. What I ended up was using 3" PVC screw in end caps and sanding down the threads to get just under a 3 3/8" OD which pretty closely seals the cylinder. I had to cut off the end blocks on the caps and glue them to the underside to reduce their height.

Click here to enlarge

2 of the cylinders I cut a few circles w a 3.5" hole saw, or I should say Adam did. Put those on top of the PVC caps to bring the level up to make it easier to seal with Silicone.

Click here to enlarge

Here is the end result, all nicely siliconed up so seal it. Silicone will be easy to remove after the block prep is done.

Click here to enlarge

close up to see the level, its close to the block height but I made sure it was below by a few mm for clearance.

Click here to enlarge

More to come and i'll try and keep it as detailed as possible.

================================================== ======

For more good news and a bit of fun, Adam got some new wheels for his ESS s/c M5

I am in love with these wheels, wish I could find a set for my M3. 18x9.5" in the rear and only 19lbs! Wrapped in 275 Ps2's in the rear. He's still having traction issues at the top end of 2nd gear and into 3rd.

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

and hows this for a clean interior on an e39, freshly detailed and a nice coat of Poorboy's Leather Stuff, the seats drank it up....and god the smell is good!

Click here to enlarge

and a great addition to the garage, tankless hot water heater FTW!!!!

Click here to enlarge

Adam hard at work

Click here to enlarge

Giggity!! No more freezing hands baby

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    BLOCK PREP

many thanks to Don - dcvee for this technique, he was nice enough to take his time and explain this in a PM to me. Thanks man!

1st up

use plastic scrapers you can pick up at Home Depot for a few bucks and lacquer thinner to get the top of the block clean, removing all gasket material.

2 honing block in 6"x2"x1" in both coarse and fine from McMaster.

Click here to enlarge

The coarse block before being used.

Click here to enlarge

Now that I had the block all sealed up, I can use wd40 for honing oil without it getting down into the bores and damaging things.

started with the coarse block, wet it with wd40. Start from the front of the block by cyl 1 and with the stone hanging over each side of the block use even pressure and small circular movements and grind all the way to the back of the block. Keep the stone hanging over the block at all times!

Work from front to back, then back to front. This is one pass. I did 2 passes with the coarse, keeping it well lubed. Then wipe clean with lacquer thinner and do 1 more pass.

here is what the block looked like after 2 passes.

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Then use the fine block and do 3 passes with the same technique.

Click here to enlarge

Me hard at work, shoulders started getting tired!

Click here to enlarge

Again clean the block really well w the LT.

Now take some 400 grit aluminum oxide wet sand paper and wrap it around one of the blocks, wet with wd40...spray the block too. Make 6 passes with the sandpaper. this will really smooth it out and bring up the shine.

and you end up with this after you clean it all up.

Click here to enlarge

and after the bore plugs are removed and cleaned.

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Matutino Click here to enlarge
    Waiting for full write up Sr.!
    ask and you shall receive

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Spent the afternoon working on the car again. Spoke with Donovan and Boris today picking their brains on how to use the Isky Groov-Matic oringer. Once I really took a good look at the thing it was pretty obvious how it worked. they did however have a few very helpful hints that I put to good use.

Before I get into this at all, quick question........how much of the .041 copper wire should I leave exposed above the block? I've heard between .015 and .008, thats a big difference. Any defenite answer for use with a MLS hg??

anywho. 1st thing is 1st. The tool is pretty sweet, does a great job assuming your patient and use your head.

My car as it stands before I started today. It was SOOOO nice to be able to work with garage doors open instead of huffing kerosene fumes all afternoon. Bring on the warm weather!!!

Click here to enlarge

Adams sweet Ranger bass boat, cant wait to spend some time out on the water chasing the hogs this year :redspot

Click here to enlarge

Ok, the important stuff

Important that the block is well prepped BEFORE you begin this. Dont oring before you prep the block.

Click here to enlarge

The Isky Grooooooooooooov-Matic. This one belongs to Donovan so I put in this little shameless plug for MaxPsi. Thanks man, HOVA ended up sending it to me instead of back to D. I was going to borrow Boris's but this showed up Friday....might as well use it right?

Click here to enlarge

It has 3 adjustments. The 1/2" bolt on top pushes the 4 "spanners" out to make solid contact with the cylinder walls and place the 4 pins on top of block. There are 2 allen screws that control the distance outside the bore you cut and another for depth. Thats it really.

I decided to tape up the coolant/oil passages again to keep the grease and shavings out. I'm still going to flush these passages before reassembly but might as well not get thick grease down there.

Click here to enlarge

After the grease was applied along the cylinder walls to help the oringer move and on top of the block to catch the shavings.

Click here to enlarge

1st step for adjustment.....setting the cutting distance outside the bore. On the S52 you need to do a figure 8 style oring so they will intersect between each cylinder. YOu just have to play with the settings and get it right. Per Boris's advice I put a nice thick layer of grease on top, set the depth to not really cut into the block but just the grease and adjusted from there. Ended up with this after setting depth a tiny but below the block to see a cut.

pretty good!

Click here to enlarge

Now for depth. Since we use a .041 wire you cut 4 pieces of it, put them under the 4 pins, then use a feeler gauge under the cutting blade to set your depth. I started with .031 under the blade to cut .01 into the block. Then moved down from there until I had cut .016 into the block making .015 of the wire exposed. If I need to cut in more I can, but I cant add the material back so I stopped there.

You can see the 4 pieces of wire here

Click here to enlarge

and clearer here, also note the feeler under the blade for depth adjustment.

Click here to enlarge

Start at either cyl 1 or cyl 6 and kick that blocks ass.....seemed 8-12 full rotations were needed for each cut.

Meeting in the middle nicely

Click here to enlarge

Somewhere in the middle of the job

Click here to enlarge

all finished for today :buttrock, as you can see the pins rotating on top of the block will clean the grease away.

Click here to enlarge

Tomorrow I hope to install the wire assuming I get the answer I need on the depth.

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    MORE PROGRESS!!!

Remembered my good camera today thank god.

Ryan came over again after work and we got to work. Good progress tonight, more Thursday, possibly even get the motor minus the intake mani all back together!

Orings that I completed last night Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Cyl 1 and 2 where you can see the full figure 8

Click here to enlarge

Cyl 3 and 4

Click here to enlarge

Fresh head with exhaust mani and new hardware installed

Click here to enlarge

New arp2000's

Click here to enlarge

New MLS

Click here to enlarge

ARP's installed finger tight.

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Wes and Ryan fartin around

Click here to enlarge

gasket in place

Click here to enlarge

The head is in! heavy sucker w the iron exhaust mani installed. Had to bend that a/c line outward w a 6' crowbar to get clearance lol.....I should have gotten a picture of that. Pretty damned happy it didnt break on me.

Click here to enlarge

Ryan using his badass Snap-On torque wrench on the studs. I didnt want to break it...it costs more money than I've spent on the head refresh/parts etc for this job!

Click here to enlarge

Tq to 32ft/lb then 2 90 degree rotation sessions

Click here to enlarge

Cam's are in, need to set up for timing still.

Click here to enlarge

as she sits....starting to look like something that can start again.
    Click here to enlarge

Great progress the past 2 days! Pretty pumped.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Been a crazy few days w/ a busy real estate market AND working every free minute I have on the car. Want it back up and running to head down to MIR this Friday for a track rental!!!

Here it is yesterday when I got there

Click here to enlarge

A great purchase from Toys R Us, baby pool for $10, perfect to let slop drop into. Also where I cleaned my oil pan and other greasy parts. Huge help in keeping the shop cleaner until a massive spring clean happens once my car is out of the way.

Click here to enlarge

So the tranny is back in, UUC ssk and dssr and cleaned, regreased and reinstalled. Then we jacked up the engine, dropped the front subframe and pulled the oil pan. Cleaned the hell out of it in and out and reinstalled with new gasket. So happy to get this part done, its been on my list since I bought the car a year ago.

Click here to enlarge

ummmm, clean oil pan

Click here to enlarge

now its time to put the fun stuff in, turbo ready to go in, Radowski oil feed line installed already

Click here to enlarge

flange on the TT mani has been surfaced, new gasket from Verocious in place

Click here to enlarge

Entire turbo system down below is in, full exhaust and driveline is reinstalled at this point.

Click here to enlarge

So thats where I stopped after a few hours yesterday. My friend Doyle was over helping me and learning a lot. He really seemed to enjoy it. We'll be installing a full lift kit on his Jeep in here this year somtime Click here to enlarge

===============================================

Snuck away from the office mid day today inbetween contract negotations lol

Since the bottom end is fully buttoned up I started on a cosmetic mod I wanted to get done before the car goes back on the road.

Pulled the front bumper

Click here to enlarge

Pulled the intercooler and sprayed it flat black with high temp SS stove paint. 2 light coats on the front only, a little on the top, thats it.

Click here to enlarge

You can see I got impatient and TOASTED it with the huge kerosene heater so the paint dried in 3 minutes Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Back on the car....lookin mean

Click here to enlarge

Front end all buttoned up, bumper and mesh back on and charge piping back in........we're getting close!!!

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    wow epic thread man, enjoyed looking through the pics and descriptions. enjoy your project man! what a journey huh? i feel the same with my car but after seeing a couple threads in this section i dont even compare to the time invested and work involved lol... but i guess it makes sense, on a later model car.
    Click here to enlarge
    2007 335i Coupe
    Mods: Check the Garage

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    All I can say is WOW! Epic build! Much respect.

I still miss my E36 M3 to this day, favorite car I have owned. But this one will be off the charts.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2106 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I have to say the same, simply an epic build, wow.

The red E36 is just flat out gorgeous... well done, and I have been following this Click here to enlarge Great build Sniz!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Easily one of the best build threads I've ever seen. What a great looking E36. Now let me ask the obvious: VIDS?!
    Click here to enlarge
    Boost Is Better
    Click here to enlargeClick here to enlargeClick here to enlargeClick here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by oddjob2021 Click here to enlarge
    wow epic thread man, enjoyed looking through the pics and descriptions. enjoy your project man! what a journey huh? i feel the same with my car but after seeing a couple threads in this section i dont even compare to the time invested and work involved lol... but i guess it makes sense, on a later model car.
    thank man, yeah I built up my 335 to the extent of the mods available, but on this one, well there is just so much more that can be done. $$ and time are the only limiting factors on an e36. I have put more time, thought, effort, but thankfully, not that much $$ into this car since I bought it a year ago. Its been a journey for sure. Journey of learning, patience, yelling at the car, and smiling. I'm loving it.

Much more to come Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by M3_WC Click here to enlarge
    All I can say is WOW! Epic build! Much respect.

I still miss my E36 M3 to this day, favorite car I have owned. But this one will be off the charts.
    get another one!!!

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    I have to say the same, simply an epic build, wow.

The red E36 is just flat out gorgeous... well done, and I have been following this Click here to enlarge Great build Sniz!
    Thanks.....I'll keep it up to date, i'm sure I wont be done once its back on the road. I have an Aquamist HFS6-osa meth kit sitting on the shelf in the garage. It will be installed once i make sure everything I've done recently is working flawlessly. Then its time to up the boost and retune.

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Turbology Click here to enlarge
    Easily one of the best build threads I've ever seen. What a great looking E36. Now let me ask the obvious: VIDS?!
    Click here to enlarge
    Thank You!

only this one for now, on the dyno WITH the blown head gasket lol......running lean, exhaust leaks pre turbo and post turbo but pre 02 sensor. Boost leak as well........this was just for $#@!s and giggles before I started tearing it down that night.....put down 320'swhp at only 8psi but the run was stopped nearly 2,000rpms below redline so there is obviously much more power to be made. Especially when you consider it will be running 16-19psi on meth:

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Sounds pretty strong even with the BHG and various leaks. Should be a beast once you button everything up. What BOV is that? Some kind of Forge? Get yourself a TiAL for big boost.
    Click here to enlarge
    Boost Is Better
    Click here to enlargeClick here to enlargeClick here to enlargeClick here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Turbology Click here to enlarge
    Sounds pretty strong even with the BHG and various leaks. Should be a beast once you button everything up. What BOV is that? Some kind of Forge? Get yourself a TiAL for big boost.
    Click here to enlarge
    yes thats a Forge, it will be gone soon Click here to enlarge The charge piping from intercooler to throttle body will replaced with custom w new vbanded BOV in the next few months

Either TIAL or Synapse
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    The new TiAL Q flows even more air than the original 50mm and sounds badass.

Also, you need EDM-style amber fogs (I guess I still have some ricer in me).
    Click here to enlarge
    Boost Is Better

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast