Close

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

AFR Display in OBC Clock Space?

Anyone know if it's possible to take the clock out of the e36 OBC for the purpose of trying to shoehorn a digital Air/Fuel display in there?
    ​"For the most part, it was pretty quiet all night long in gold and silver, but I'm sure the bullion banks are still lurking out there somewhere." -Ed Steer

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by GG///M3 Click here to enlarge
    ::nodding:: yeah i'd googled that up after you mentioned it before and it's still in the running.. but do you run an AFR gauge on yours?

Was looking at those DynoTune Lean-Cut switches today with the AFR display on it, wondering if i need to actively monitor AFR with something like that hooked up, thought maybe i could keep it in the glove compartment and just haul it out for diagnostics if it kicked in, or perhaps mount a mic holder for taxi radios or some cradle-like thing on the dash somewhere - or even velcro - that i could use to keep it visible when i wanna run hard.

Problem with the digital readouts is they're impossible to follow on-the-fly, so i tend to view these things as having mostly diagnostic value since i doubt i'm gonna suddenly catch sight of some unfriendly digits and back off while they're bouncing around. So this is why i'm less concerned with having the AFR displayed prominently than with other gauges, since i can't really see my driving being influenced by it in-the-moment and see it as just something i wanna check in on periodically to make sure everything's staying dialed-in.

Is that an accurate assessment of the use profile of an AFR gauge?

EDIT: if i got the AR setup, i'd use the AEM analog AFR.
    Last edited by susan28; 04-24-2011 at 07:09 PM.
    ​"For the most part, it was pretty quiet all night long in gold and silver, but I'm sure the bullion banks are still lurking out there somewhere." -Ed Steer

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Click here to enlargeClick here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2055 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by GG///M3 Click here to enlarge
    I agree with suggestion, good job.
    Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale: http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    I agree with suggestion, good job.
    GG hasn't steered me wrong yet..

That said i'm still undecided but re: this thread, y'all have once again helped me resolve a topic, though this one was more about how to do it than if. However, due to GG's video and others i found along with it, i can see that a number-only display would be useless in the moment no matter how visible and that i gotta have a dial somewhere.

I must also say that, with AFR in particular the LED display is handy for catching peaks in your peripheral vision, which is basically how i wanna see my gauges. That's why imma lil shy about the column mount, not so much from a stealth standpoint but that i don't want the diagnostic gauges quite that much in my line of sight, preferring to just be peripherally aware of them. If i'm correct though those mouse-ears are hinged so you can have them in as narrow or wide a view as you like.

Still mulling it over but the clock idea and anything that doesn't involve a dial is out.

The mirror idea is out too, because i'm afraid it might distract me from what's in the mirror. Too bad tho, since that location meets my "peripheral" spec perfectly. But i've been driving around and using the mirror for its normal purpose and imagining a boost and afr gauge hovering over it and it's not feeling right. I wanna see the gauges when i look at them and the mirror when i look at it. Sooooo tempting tho. So eye-level, soooo sano.. but non.

So far it's either the column or just working with the console somehow, but the fancy stuff and stealth options are all failing the reality test.