Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 26
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    118,884
    Rep Points
    31,859.9
    Mentioned
    2092 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    319


    Yes Reputation No

    BMW to produce 4 door M3 GTS - E90 lightweight M3

    So, we are all familiar with the E92 M3 GTS. A lightweight, focused, 4.4 liter DCT only M3. German publication Auto Motor Und Sport reports that an E90 M3 GTS 4 door is coming. The lightweight E90 M3 reported on earlier is actually a GTS. Specs are stated as a 4.4 liter 440 horsepower motor with DCT transmission. This car will likely not make it to the USA either. We wonder how much of a market there really is a 4 door GTS and how it can possibly be larger than the market for the E92 GTS in the USA.

    Click here to enlarge

    Click here to enlarge

    Click here to enlarge

    Click here to enlarge

    Click here to enlarge

    Click here to enlarge

    Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale
    : http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

  2. #2
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    2,280
    Rep Points
    936.0
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    10


    Yes Reputation No
    another car us U.S. people don't get, i'm sure they'll sell out fast
    Click here to enlarge

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    118,884
    Rep Points
    31,859.9
    Mentioned
    2092 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    319



    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Yukohama Click here to enlarge
    another car us U.S. people don't get, i'm sure they'll sell out fast
    This just doesn't even make much sense to me. Was there some big outcry for a 4 door GTS?

    Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale
    : http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    812
    Rep Points
    604.4
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    7


    Yes Reputation No
    I don't understand, they still have pre-lci being produced?

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    HG Motorsports
    Posts
    389
    Rep Points
    512.8
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    6


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    This just doesn't even make much sense to me. Was there some big outcry for a 4 door GTS?
    I bet it's more like a general outcry for more GTS from those who couldn't get their hands on them. I know before the facelift the E90 was lighter and stiffer than the E92, not sure if the facelifted E90 is any different but maybe that's part of the reasoning?

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    1,923
    Rep Points
    1,825.9
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    19


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by dOpEdUpM3 Click here to enlarge
    I don't understand, they still have pre-lci being produced?
    Dont think that's the actual model.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    2,280
    Rep Points
    936.0
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    10


    Yes Reputation No
    maybe they just wanted to make another special edition and sell it for a high profit
    Click here to enlarge

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    118,884
    Rep Points
    31,859.9
    Mentioned
    2092 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    319



    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Remonster Click here to enlarge
    I bet it's more like a general outcry for more GTS from those who couldn't get their hands on them. I know before the facelift the E90 was lighter and stiffer than the E92, not sure if the facelifted E90 is any different but maybe that's part of the reasoning?
    They should just produce more E92 GTS cars. This is an answer to a question nobody asked.

    Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale
    : http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    118,884
    Rep Points
    31,859.9
    Mentioned
    2092 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    319



    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by dOpEdUpM3 Click here to enlarge
    I don't understand, they still have pre-lci being produced?
    It is just a mule.

    Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale
    : http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

  10. #10
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    canada
    Posts
    522
    Rep Points
    122.9
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    2


    Yes Reputation No
    my gut says this rumor is not true

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Valley Stream NY
    Posts
    3,347
    Rep Points
    2,757.4
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    28


    Yes Reputation No
    I would totally take one.

    As far as the front end is concerned, the M3s never got a facelift. Look at the E46s, they had the 99-00 front end until the end of production..even though they got updated tailights, interior etc. Its just something they do I guess.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    104
    Rep Points
    66.0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    0


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Remonster Click here to enlarge
    ... I know before the facelift the E90 was lighter and stiffer than the E92, not sure if the facelifted E90 is any different but maybe that's part of the reasoning?
    This is a myth. The E36 sedan was stiffer than the E36 coupe, yes. But the same is not true of the E90/E92. So says someone from BMW a couple of years ago. Sorry, I cannot find the post right now, but I believe it was the head of the M division talking to the public who said this. Also, the M3's never got all of the facelift that the other 3 series did.

    Whether or not BMW makes an E90 GTS M3, I really doubt we'll ever get a chance at one in the US. But, we'll see. It seems everyone considered the E90 to be very much heavier than the E92. In fact, it was only by a few pounds and this was only if they were fully optioned. It is likely that there are M3 sedans out there that are lighter than some coupes. So a lightweight M3 sedan makes sense to me. I just wish they started all the M3s this way: light. Sigh.


    Cheers.
    Warranties are for pussies.
    -- Sticky

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    118,884
    Rep Points
    31,859.9
    Mentioned
    2092 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    319



    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by black bnr32 Click here to enlarge
    my gut says this rumor is not true
    I feel the same way but it would be a colossal mistake from a major German publication.

    Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale
    : http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    HG Motorsports
    Posts
    389
    Rep Points
    512.8
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    6


    1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by ersin Click here to enlarge
    This is a myth. The E36 sedan was stiffer than the E36 coupe, yes. But the same is not true of the E90/E92. So says someone from BMW a couple of years ago. Sorry, I cannot find the post right now, but I believe it was the head of the M division talking to the public who said this. Also, the M3's never got all of the facelift that the other 3 series did.

    Whether or not BMW makes an E90 GTS M3, I really doubt we'll ever get a chance at one in the US. But, we'll see. It seems everyone considered the E90 to be very much heavier than the E92. In fact, it was only by a few pounds and this was only if they were fully optioned. It is likely that there are M3 sedans out there that are lighter than some coupes. So a lightweight M3 sedan makes sense to me. I just wish they started all the M3s this way: light. Sigh.


    Cheers.
    Actually it isn't a myth, I've seen a list of the torsional rigidity of a bunch of cars (from Bimmers to the Veyron) and I remember there being a significant difference between the sedan, coupe and convertible though the E90 and E92 are much closer with the E93 being way less stiff. All three of them are way stiffer than the competition, though and a humongous step beyond the E46 generation which was, itself, a huge step up from the E36 generation.

    Also, you can see the weights of E90 vs E92 on BMW's website, the sedan is now 20lbs heavier but the pre-LCI was ~50-100 lighter than the LCI.

    These aren't huge differences and you'd likely never notice, I was just thinking out loud trying to explain how BMW might market such a car. At the end of the day, I agree with Sticky they should have just made more coupes but I guess variety never hurt anyone.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    104
    Rep Points
    66.0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    0


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Remonster Click here to enlarge
    Actually it isn't a myth, I've seen a list of the torsional rigidity of a bunch of cars (from Bimmers to the Veyron) and I remember there being a significant difference between the sedan, coupe and convertible though the E90 and E92 are much closer with the E93 being way less stiff. All three of them are way stiffer than the competition, though and a humongous step beyond the E46 generation which was, itself, a huge step up from the E36 generation.

    Also, you can see the weights of E90 vs E92 on BMW's website, the sedan is now 20lbs heavier but the pre-LCI was ~50-100 lighter than the LCI.

    These aren't huge differences and you'd likely never notice, I was just thinking out loud trying to explain how BMW might market such a car. At the end of the day, I agree with Sticky they should have just made more coupes but I guess variety never hurt anyone.
    No, the sedan is not stiffer than the coupe for the E90/E92 M3. I'd like to see the numbers, if you can track then down.

    The LCI and pre-LCI weights are exactly the same -- the pre LCI coupe was not 50-100 lbs lighter; just 20 lbs. So close that it really comes down to options. Some M3 sedans are lighter than some coupes. I've never seen any numbers so I'll really like to see the respective weights with no options, no driver, no luggage and no gas. I suspect that these weights may be further apart since the coupe is available with a CF roof.

    I agree with Sticky too: they should have made more coupe GTS M3s. However, they really should have sold them here in the US. They only made 30 GTS coupes (if I'm not mistaken). If this sedan GTS rumor is true, I wonder how many they'll make this time.
    Warranties are for pussies.
    -- Sticky

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    177
    Rep Points
    235.1
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    3


    Yes Reputation No
    Ok, this is my area of interest, fitting my philosophy that if your car isn't mid-engine then it oughtta have 4 doors, but that if one MUST drive a grocery getter - which is how i view front-engined vehicles with or without rear seats - then one should get the fastest, best-handling one possible to wear that "my other car is a McLaren F1" sticker, to wit: An M3 sedan is the finest grocery getter made by humans which also happens to trounce some supercars, and a GTS sedan would be the finest of the fine. Ie: the finest compromise between peoplemover and mindblower.

    If i had the money i'd go to Europe for one in a heartbeat. It would simply be THE car to have, in my book. But i'd rather have a TS'd e36 with a McLaren chaser Click here to enlarge.

    Just my .02.
    ​"For the most part, it was pretty quiet all night long in gold and silver, but I'm sure the bullion banks are still lurking out there somewhere." -Ed Steer

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    le Paris
    Posts
    6,655
    Rep Points
    -194.0
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    0


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by ersin Click here to enlarge
    No, the sedan is not stiffer than the coupe for the E90/E92 M3. I'd like to see the numbers, if you can track then down.

    The LCI and pre-LCI weights are exactly the same -- the pre LCI coupe was not 50-100 lbs lighter; just 20 lbs. So close that it really comes down to options. Some M3 sedans are lighter than some coupes. I've never seen any numbers so I'll really like to see the respective weights with no options, no driver, no luggage and no gas. I suspect that these weights may be further apart since the coupe is available with a CF roof.
    man E90 chassis is stronger than E92 , numbers are posted in another thread here , not sure where.
    i think E90 torsional rigidity of E90 is rated 5000 NM more than E92's.

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    118,884
    Rep Points
    31,859.9
    Mentioned
    2092 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    319



    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sorena Click here to enlarge
    man E90 chassis is stronger than E92 , numbers are posted in another thread here , not sure where.
    i think E90 torsional rigidity of E90 is rated 5000 NM more than E92's.
    Would like the exact figures.

    Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale
    : http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    le Paris
    Posts
    6,655
    Rep Points
    -194.0
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    0


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    Would like the exact figures.
    i can't remember where it was posted ,i thought you would know it better.

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    118,884
    Rep Points
    31,859.9
    Mentioned
    2092 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    319



    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sorena Click here to enlarge
    i can't remember where it was posted ,i thought you would know it better.
    I don't ever remember seeing those figures...

    Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale
    : http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    575
    Rep Points
    1,555.9
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    16


    Yes Reputation No
    Pretty good looking.
    Click here to enlarge

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    118,884
    Rep Points
    31,859.9
    Mentioned
    2092 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    319



    Yes Reputation No
    BTW, BMW has no plans to bring this to the US.

    Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale
    : http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

  23. #23
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    4,053
    Rep Points
    2,634.3
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    27


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    BTW, BMW has no plans to bring this to the US.
    Click here to enlarge

  24. #24
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    118,884
    Rep Points
    31,859.9
    Mentioned
    2092 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    319



    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by e92 Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    Yep, it sucks, but no surprise.

    Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale
    : http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

  25. #25
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    1,587
    Rep Points
    2,017.6
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    21


    Yes Reputation No
    That is one mean looking sedan.

    I wish BMW wouldn't limit things like this (or at least give them to us) - I really think this would bite into the Porsche Panamera market (both 4 door cars)...

    Between this and the Panamera - I think I would go with this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •