Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

Eurosport/AA Twinscrew: Still in Love?

Hey all,

As some of you may know i found this forum during some recent research on FI after being told by my mechanic that that was the only option for 400hp. And, partially due to the rave reviews here and elsewhere (though i think the detailed descriptions by Josh and Matt on their sites are convincing enough to roll the dice), decided i'd like to try one on my e36 M3. My question is, of those here who bought the original run, how many still have them and if you don't, why did you switch?

I ask because it seems that the twinscrew is turning out to be a rite of passage for FI virgins who don't wanna put in the driving effort to make a turbo run right, but once they get used to FI with the uber-forgiving twinscrew, they crave more power and go turbo, and i'd rather skip the training wheels if you ex-twinscrew kids have since found turbo setups that meet your reliability/drivability standards (quick spooling basically) while giving more punch?

Also, it doesn't seem to be the pattern, but has anyone switched to a centri sc?

Edit to ask: How many who have the originals are gonna upgrade to the new 2.1?
    ​"For the most part, it was pretty quiet all night long in gold and silver, but I'm sure the bullion banks are still lurking out there somewhere." -Ed Steer

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by susan28 Click here to enlarge
    Hey all,

As some of you may know i found this forum during some recent research on FI after being told by my mechanic that that was the only option for 400hp. And, partially due to the rave reviews here and elsewhere (though i think the detailed descriptions by Josh and Matt on their sites are convincing enough to roll the dice), decided i'd like to try one on my e36 M3. My question is, of those here who bought the original run, how many still have them and if you don't, why did you switch?

I ask because it seems that the twinscrew is turning out to be a rite of passage for FI virgins who don't wanna put in the driving effort to make a turbo run right, but once they get used to FI with the uber-forgiving twinscrew, they crave more power and go turbo, and i'd rather skip the training wheels if you ex-twinscrew kids have since found turbo setups that meet your reliability/drivability standards (quick spooling basically) while giving more punch?

Also, it doesn't seem to be the pattern, but has anyone switched to a centri sc?

Edit to ask: How many who have the originals are gonna upgrade to the new 2.1?

For all out power, turbo is the way to go. Reliability, sure you can make turbo systems reliable but they require a lot more attention to detail which is something perhaps you might not want to deal with.

Superchargers for the most part have less maintenance and upkeep issues, as for twinscrew vs centri; the powerbands are different which is up to you.

There is nothing wrong with going turbo, but you will be investing a lot of time and money into a system, and if all you want is 400 or 500 whp, you can get that with a supercharger.
    Some people live long, meaningful lives.

Other people eat shit and die.

I'm not racist, I hate everybody equally; especially fat people.

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    The moral of the Story is this OP. Many who have a TS do not want to get rid of them. You want awesome power just get a Trm turbo kit.
    Click here to enlargeClick here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Hey DB thanks for responding. I think the way to phrase it would be that i'm looking for as much power and torque as i can get without changing the basic torque *curve* of the car.. basically looking to magnify the traits the car already has but keep them in balance like they are now and i'd say that means making most boost below 3500, which seems to be about as low as most turbo setups go, BUT if hemorrhaging dollars for some custom biturbo setup would do it, then i'd be interested as i'm never, ever selling this car.

GG: thanks as well, and if what you're saying is true then i'm doing the right thing waiting, for the above-stated reasons. It's just when, not if. So i don't need anyone to give up theirs, just thought i'd try to collect some (current) feedback from current owners while playing the waiting game.

Anyway i know i'm picking y'all's brains alot here lately and you're being very kind, so i'll go ahead and bug TRM awhile and see what they say. Last time we only discussed SC's but after reading some threads on twin turbos it made me think, is all.

Thanks again you guys.
    Last edited by susan28; 04-10-2011 at 01:50 AM. Reason: added "from current owners"
    ​"For the most part, it was pretty quiet all night long in gold and silver, but I'm sure the bullion banks are still lurking out there somewhere." -Ed Steer

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I hit full boost just below 3000rpms on the street cutout open.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by GG///M3 Click here to enlarge
    I hit full boost just below 3000rpms on the street cutout open.
    Ah Yes, i was just reading your thread about that actually. Best of both worlds, and appealing to me as a sleeper fan.

I'm kind of in mid-mechanic here, with my old one retired and my sort-of new one a little far, but i just recently joined the local BMWCCA chapter and got turned onto an awesome local guy who maintains the racecar of a new friend of mine and i'll discuss all this with him and post about the progress here so i can start contributing instead of vamping.

I really do appreciate the time you've taken with me, GG, you're aces. And i think i've learned enough here to now have an informed conversation with my mechanic about FI, which was the goal.. awesome.

But i really wasn't trolling for a twinscrew here; i posted this after finding the second person who's switched to something else, this one switching back to *stock* which gave me pause, but i wrote it off as the guy just being a pussy. Still, i figured now would be a good time to check in with those who've had them awhile and see what the consensus was. But i guess they're all happily driving, eh?

No worries.. but imma pipe down awhile and let you guys do your thing and if i have anything to add, i will, yes?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Ah Yes, i was just reading your thread about that actually. Best of both worlds, and appealing to me as a sleeper fan.

I'm kind of in mid-mechanic here, with my old one retired and my sort-of new one a little far, but i just recently joined the local BMWCCA chapter and got turned onto an awesome local guy who maintains the racecar of a new friend of mine and i'll discuss all this with him and post about the progress here so i can start contributing instead of vamping.

I really do appreciate the time you've taken with me, GG, you're aces. And i think i've learned enough here to now have an informed conversation with my mechanic about FI, which was the goal.. awesome.

But i really wasn't trolling for a twinscrew here; i posted this after finding the second person who's switched to something else, this one switching back to *stock* which gave me pause, but i wrote it off as the guy just being a pussy. Still, i figured now would be a good time to check in with those who've had them awhile and see what the consensus was. But i guess they're all happily driving, eh?

No worries.. but imma pipe down awhile and let you guys do your thing and if i have anything to add, i will, yes?
    lol dont worry about it, ask whatever you want; this is an open forum...

If you want a stock-like power band but just shifted upward youll probably want to go twinscrew. If you feel confident in a turbo setup then go that route, because in the end you'll probably wonder "what would it have been like if i went turbo?"

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    DB: HA, YES, that's my worry in a nutshell an why i'm scraping for anecdotal feedback. Of course it could work the opposite way. Did i mention Hank Kimball was my grandfather? Hehe..

Basically my pattern with cars is i drive them til i'm winding the gears out all the time, then upgrade to something i'm afraid of til i master that and so on. This is why i can see myself like ohers switching to turbo once i get my FI legs on, so to speak. I'll also be getting some track time and going to driving school, so that may make me less finicky and more able to adapt to the way my car *needs* me to drive it rather than vice versa. Like, get tha gun ya need for tha job then learn howta shoot it. Etc.

I have high hopes for my new wrench, because he even has a stable of racecars to rent, maybe some of them turbo for me to try, and does fabrication..

I also, yesterday - and this somewhat motivated this post as well - made note of my tach as i drove, and found out that i *rarely* didn't catch almost every gear at just under 3k, so a nice low-spooling turbo with a cutout like GG's and i might be quite comfortably within my typical driving range and wondering what i was so worried about. And what i'm worried about is based on my test drives of a 3000GT and a 280ZX turbo back when those cars came out, eons ago. The 3000 was a biturbo but sill laggy. But on a torquey mill like an S52 it may be a non-issue.

And thanks for the magnanimousness DB. I've just been getting conscious of a certain type of poor netiquette i call "vamping" (energy vampire) where a noob in some field goes to a forum and tries to get all the hard answers upfront and imposing on people who spent years gathering that knowledge and may think they should do more of their own homework before trying to swim with the big fish.

But when i get my project underway i'll reciprocate with data and pics! And will try to record my first autocross, that should be duly entertaining Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    DB: HA, YES, that's my worry in a nutshell an why i'm scraping for anecdotal feedback. Of course it could work the opposite way. Did i mention Hank Kimball was my grandfather? Hehe..

Basically my pattern with cars is i drive them til i'm winding the gears out all the time, then upgrade to something i'm afraid of til i master that and so on. This is why i can see myself like ohers switching to turbo once i get my FI legs on, so to speak. I'll also be getting some track time and going to driving school, so that may make me less finicky and more able to adapt to the way my car *needs* me to drive it rather than vice versa. Like, get tha gun ya need for tha job then learn howta shoot it. Etc.

I have high hopes for my new wrench, because he even has a stable of racecars to rent, maybe some of them turbo for me to try, and does fabrication..

I also, yesterday - and this somewhat motivated this post as well - made note of my tach as i drove, and found out that i *rarely* didn't catch almost every gear at just under 3k, so a nice low-spooling turbo with a cutout like GG's and i might be quite comfortably within my typical driving range and wondering what i was so worried about. And what i'm worried about is based on my test drives of a 3000GT and a 280ZX turbo back when those cars came out, eons ago. The 3000 was a biturbo but sill laggy. But on a torquey mill like an S52 it may be a non-issue.

And thanks for the magnanimousness DB. I've just been getting conscious of a certain type of poor netiquette i call "vamping" (energy vampire) where a noob in some field goes to a forum and tries to get all the hard answers upfront and imposing on people who spent years gathering that knowledge and may think they should do more of their own homework before trying to swim with the big fish.

But when i get my project underway i'll reciprocate with data and pics! And will try to record my first autocross, that should be duly entertaining Click here to enlarge
    definitely let us know what you choose, we would like to see your build progress from an idea to reality...

At least myself, I'm not the type to tell new people "lol go search for the answers they're already answered..."

That's bull$#@! because everyone has a different situation and a unique question even if they are similar.

Your case is unique just as everyone elses, so you will get a unique answer; at least from me.

I think if you like to keep revs into the 3k+ range when daily shifting, you might be better off with a centri and keep it simple then move on to turbo. A turbo car will not have the same low end torque as the NA I6 you are used to, because the turbo acts as an exhaust restriction until it spools up at which that point it is the power adder. In any case, everything needs to be put into perspective.
    What laggy means to me, may not be teh same for you. Go try and drive three cars, one twinscrew'd, one centri and one turbo all with equal power levels and choose the powerband you like. Also understand that the turbo is the more complex and finicky system so that should be part of your decision making process.

Enjoy and keep us posted.

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    There is something to be said for the way a centri's boost traces the rpms in this case, because, regarding what i describe as the desired "magnification" of the stock traits, bimmers don't make all their power upfront but are high-revving or what we used to call "pipey" in the 2-stroke world - kinda slingshot-like - and though the domestic M3 mill is more torquey from a relative point, it's still pipey, while the twinscrew is reputed to give a V8 feel, and though i come from the musclecar scene that's not what i now drive bimmers for. Anyway centris, due to this, might actually end up meeting my own criteria best of all.

So we'll see. There's time. The proof really is in the driving but, err.. i'm kind of a recluse.. friendly dj in the black sedan and all that, got a mystique to maintain hehe.. And ravers have crappy taste in cars, i have to venture outside the scene for good car chat Click here to enlarge But that's why i joined the Club and actually, i believe we've got a twinscrew of some sort in our membership. They had a post on the board from way back, not sure if they're still around.

It's so exhilarating being on the cusp of a new build, isn't it?! $#@! YEAH gonna trick out my baby!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Starting a new build is always exhilirating, then reality sets in lol..

and because you're too far in you say '$#@! it' and keep going...

then in the end you have a pretty good build

oh well just talkin $#@! now, but gl; by the way im in the area PGA and 95

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Yes i think i remember you mentioning that before.. weren't we gonna get a room or something? LOL..

So do you ever get to Moroso? Know Pete Shadowen? He's the mechanic i was referring to.

Feel free to PM me if you wanna shoot the breeze.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I will be getting rid of my AA TS stage 2 in the next couple weeks. I picked a stage 3 B5 S4 as a daily driver and plan to turn my M3 into a dedicated track/weekend car. A lot of my track buddies have e36 M3s and I think it'll be more fun if we're putting out the same power. Right now the tune is a little conservative and I'm pushing 360 to the wheels. It's a blast to drive on the street/track and I actually prefer the power delivery over my stage 3 B5.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Zoheb318 Click here to enlarge
    I will be getting rid of my AA TS stage 2 in the next couple weeks. I picked a stage 3 B5 S4 as a daily driver and plan to turn my M3 into a dedicated track/weekend car. A lot of my track buddies have e36 M3s and I think it'll be more fun if we're putting out the same power. Right now the tune is a little conservative and I'm pushing 360 to the wheels. It's a blast to drive on the street/track and I actually prefer the power delivery over my stage 3 B5.
    Susan buy this, and you can still have it tuned at Trm down the line. Zoheb what are you looking to get for the kit?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Zohab: sounds lovely. PM'ing you now.

GG: Thanks for the reference.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Susan buy this, and you can still have it tuned at Trm down the line. Zoheb what are you looking to get for the kit?
    Yes on the TRM, and as well, i spoke with Karl from AA today - very confidence-inspiring guy and is trying to hook me up - who said that his kit already mates up to the Kenne Bell for the most part and really only needs the new nosepiece to work, so the old kits are, with a lil determination, upgradeable and therefore there's really no reason for someone who needs/craves one now not to snap up a good used one if it comes along while the current kits are awaiting production. Likewise Matt estimates they'll be cheap to recondition so i'll have Zo's unit factory fresh in no time if it isn't already.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Yes on the TRM, and as well, i spoke with Karl from AA today - very confidence-inspiring guy and is trying to hook me up - who said that his kit already mates up to the Kenne Bell for the most part and really only needs the new nosepiece to work, so the old kits are, with a lil determination, upgradeable and therefore there's really no reason for someone who needs/craves one now not to snap up a good used one if it comes along while the current kits are awaiting production. Likewise Matt estimates they'll be cheap to recondition so i'll have Zo's unit factory fresh in no time if it isn't already.
    Karl is a great person to work with on tuning. I loved my sc setup with AA tuning.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Karl is a great person to work with on tuning. I loved my sc setup with AA tuning.
    Yes to Karl too, and he's local to me. First question he asked upon finding i was bucking for a 'screw was to ask me the mileage of the engine, drivetrain mods if any, frame mods, wanting to make sure the car and engine were up to it. Very thorough. So once it's in i'll let him advise me on the related mods i think.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Thanks for the referral. I have been talking to Susan via PM and we are moving in the right direction.

You won't be disappointed with Karl and/or TRM! I've dealt with both and they have great knowledge and customer service. I really like your idea of going with a Kenne Bell blower.. Should be a blast Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Zoheb318 Click here to enlarge
    I actually prefer the power delivery over my stage 3 B5.
    Click here to enlarge Click here to enlarge

I can vouch for Zoheb! Great guy to deal with.
    Click here to enlarge
    2001 Audi S4(Stage 3) - SOLD(will be missed)
    1997 BMW M3 - Track Toy
    1978 Camaro Z-28- slightly modded Click here to enlarge

Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary... That's what gets you.
    -Jeremy Clarkson

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Agreed, he's cool and things are in process. Karl is totally down for the install and for setting my car up right for the twinscrew stem to stern.

Also, for those following The Saga, i did speak with Matt at TRM today and he said there's neither evidence nor scuttlebutt about Josh abandoning the TS project, that the rumours are just that and that it's simply being delayed by Josh's famous perfectionism and that he's fairly certain it'll arrive one of these days, but i'm still not letting this bird outta my hand so back off you hyaenas! HEEEEE!!

Nice car Jay, looks just like mine~

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2085 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I think the TS is definitely the way to go, especially over a centri. Way, way more fun.

Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale
    : http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Thanks for the feedback Sticky. I posted this thread due to what seems to be some people switching to turbo, which makes me wonder why they didn't go that route in the first place if that's their preference, and i was wondering if this progression was common and motivated my "FI training wheels analogy". That, and some guy in canada recently was selling one so as to go back to stock, but didn't say why. But as a longtime NA freak this spoke to my fear of it maybe throwing the torque curve off balance like most FI systems.

But upon further investigation i can't find a single person who wasn't delighted with it, and i guess those who go turbo do so because their priorities changed not because they were displeased with the TS.

Also, i didn't share this before but i have a date for a test drive in a stage 3 AA M3 next week and will post my own first impression on this thread afterward.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2085 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Thanks for the feedback Sticky. I posted this thread due to what seems to be some people switching to turbo, which makes me wonder why they didn't go that route in the first place if that's their preference, and i was wondering if this progression was common and motivated my "FI training wheels analogy". That, and some guy in canada recently was selling one so as to go back to stock, but didn't say why. But as a longtime NA freak this spoke to my fear of it maybe throwing the torque curve off balance like most FI systems.
    I think on the stock internals you will be very happy with a twin screw. Turbo is just natural progression for the power junkies. It depends how crazy you want to get. If you want more power and to keep the budget reasonable without any headaches, a solid SC kit is a good idea.

Also, i didn't share this before but i have a date for a test drive in a stage 3 AA M3 next week and will post my own first impression on this thread afterward.
    I look forward to it.

Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale
    : http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

0 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast