Close

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

2 out of 2 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No

Thinking about going BMW.

Hi All. I'm a long time Modern American Muscle guy. I currently own a 2006 Dodge Charger RT. I want AWD since the last couple of winters here in the NE have been pretty rough and this RWD gas guzzling torque monster isn't cutting it. My wife owns a 2007 328XI and loves it so I decided to research BMW for myself. Much to my surprise I love the power you are getting from the N54 platform with very little Mods. 400HP with chip and intake alone is sick! I'm looking at a 535XI for it's size and options, but I have some questions that I'd appreciate your input on.

1. most N54 enthusists seem to own 335s and even fewer 535 owners have XI's. I'm finding very little mods for the E60 AWD outside of E90 compatible stuff. Like the XI exhaust/DP options are few and expensive! Will this ever change?

2. I'd eventually like to go upgraded turbo but again they all seem E90 centric. Is this just marketing or will these kits simply not fit the E60 (XI especially)?

3. I keep hearing about various issues (HPFP, injectors, wastegate, ect) with the earlier N54s particularly it seems the 535s. Should i be concerned? am I safe as long as the dealer can prove that all the recalls have been addressed or should i avoid pre 10/08 all together?

4. Does anyone know of a good foreign car performance shop in the Philadelphia Surburb area? You guys know better than I do that a shop you can trust is key. especially for complex foreign cars.

Regardless of my decision I've really enjoyed lurking this forum and others like it. You guys have a great platform and have made me a believer in foreign engineering. Though I still love US muscle as well. Click here to enlarge

I'll be posting this exact same thread on another BMW performance oriented site to get as much insight as I can.

Thanks guys in advance.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2055 Post(s)

Since you are mostly asking questions about the motor moved to the N54 section.
    Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale: http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2055 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Potential_535 Click here to enlarge
    1. most N54 enthusists seem to own 335s and even fewer 535 owners have XI's. I'm finding very little mods for the E60 AWD outside of E90 compatible stuff. Like the XI exhaust/DP options are few and expensive! Will this ever change?
    It is a smaller market but AR Design does have E60 options just not sure if they also fit the XI. Someone will have to clarify this.

2. I'd eventually like to go upgraded turbo but again they all seem E90 centric. Is this just marketing or will these kits simply not fit the E60 (XI especially)?
    I see no reason why the Rob Beck turbo upgrade could not be applied to N54's other than the E90 and even the E60.

3. I keep hearing about various issues (HPFP, injectors, wastegate, ect) with the earlier N54s particularly it seems the 535s. Should i be concerned? am I safe as long as the dealer can prove that all the recalls have been addressed or should i avoid pre 10/08 all together?
    Yes, you should be concerned with the HPFP issues as they still are not resolved.

4. Does anyone know of a good foreign car performance shop in the Philadelphia Surburb area? You guys know better than I do that a shop you can trust is key. especially for complex foreign cars.
    Unfortunately, I do not, but someone else likely will.
    Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale: http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

in short:

BMW upgrades are expensive, and will be until we have more aftermarket support.

N54's- some have major issues, some have minor, few have none

onc eyo mod it, no more warranty

VAC is a good shop that can handle a lot of what you may be looking for, but i like them, others say to stay away.

a few 535's are running around on JB4's, they love them, but being heavier, its not going to be competitive as to what 1/3 series are. but much more comfortable (not than mine isnt comfortable Click here to enlarge)

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Thanks for the responses guys! Marine, I saw VAC in S. Philly online today. Will give them a shot if I take the plunge. Do you guys suggest CPO? especially for a modder.

My wife wants me to get a 335 for the price and mod choices, but I'm just too used to bigger cars. The exhaust does bother me though on the 535. Doesn't say performance at all.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2055 Post(s)

Thanks for the responses guys! Marine, I saw VAC in S. Philly online today. Will give them a shot if I take the plunge. Do you guys suggest CPO? especially for a modder.

My wife wants me to get a 335 for the price and mod choices, but I'm just too used to bigger cars. The exhaust does bother me though on the 535. Doesn't say performance at all.
    A E90 335xi not only is a current body style but much more fun to drive.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)

In my opinion you should go 335xi, more options out there.

I too am an american muscle guy, I have a 91 mustang that is heavily modded and fun to drive. But there is something different about driving a new BMW, which is fun in another way.

The N54 does have some issues, but for the most part it is A VERY FORGIVING ENGINE. I have seen it put through serious abuse, with my own eyes, multiple cars and it can take lots of it. You will quickly find the engine can make gobs of power with little mods, chip, exhaust and meth for instance and youre over 400 whp.

You'll be making close to 500 whp with upgraded turbos and full bolt ons.
    Some people live long, meaningful lives.

Other people eat shit and die.

I'm not racist, I hate everybody equally; especially fat people.

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I used to like bigger cars, but then I downsized to a Saab 9-3 .. and now I'm on a 335i Coupe (which is roughly the same size). I love the way the car feels like it wraps around me, rather than me feeling lost inside a big boat.

I believe the E92 has enough road presence to compensate for it's lack of size, and there is more than enough cabin space for me .. I'm a shade over 6', and take up a lot of width. I'm just beginning my tuning adventure too .. Click here to enlarge
    ~

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

CPO and modding are going to outweigh eachother. how far do youplan on taking it?

I would say take E90 335XI on a test drive and see how you like, and then a 535. i think for the best of what you want-4door-sport-comfortable you may find the 335 is great at sporty and good at comfort, while the 535 is great and comfort and maybe good at performance

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)

Im 6'2 and drive a 135 because i wanted the faster car, you gotta pay to play... Sometimes i wish i had the extra comfort though lol

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I'm 6'3'' so I feel your plight. When I'm ready I think I will test drive both. My wife's 328 is tiny. I assume the 335 is roughly the same size? As long as i can eventually upgrade the Turbos and tune it up the 535 seems like the frontrunner!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2055 Post(s)

I'm 6'3'' so I feel your plight. When I'm ready I think I will test drive both. My wife's 328 is tiny. I assume the 335 is roughly the same size? As long as i can eventually upgrade the Turbos and tune it up the 535 seems like the frontrunner!
    The 335 is the same size. Drive 'em both, you aren't competing in the NHRA with either of these anyway.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    I had owned a E90 335i and loved it, It was fun and easy to mod. After I lemoned it, I wanted something a bigger, so I went with a 535 and do not regret it one bit. It is a little slower than my 335 due to the added weight, but since I have it tuned it is still a great and fun car to drive and still has more than enough power to hand most cars on the road their asses.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)

$#@! just get a 760

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

0 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    kool
    Click here to enlargeClick here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by GG///M3 Click here to enlarge
    Sticky if you edited my post which I know you did prepared for lack of info. Grow the fvck up.
    Click here to enlargeClick here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2055 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by GG///M3 Click here to enlarge
    Sticky if you edited my post which I know you did prepared for lack of info. Grow the fvck up.
    I did edit your post GG, I had to, just like I do to others violating the same rule. I can't show preferential treatment or the rules become meaningless. Please just follow the one rule we strictly enforce.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)