Close

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

HPFP showing symptoms -- please last ~2 more weeks!

Is there a typical pattern from when HPFP symptoms start, and then fails completely?

My car is booked in for the recall repairs on 21st April, but coincidentally within days of booking the appointment my car started to crank slightly longer than usual.

Today, at lunchtime, it cranked for about 5 seconds before firing up. After work, it started normally.

No other symptoms .. and car is driving like a charm.

Please last until my service appointment!! I'm going to call them tomorrow to see if I can bump it forward, but their online service tool says that it's fully booked until May.
    ~

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2064 Post(s)

bump, help him out those who have experience with this

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

any codes? if you have a jb4 do some wot logs and post them so we can see your hpfp activity
    JB4LIFE

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Unfortunately no tune as yet .. No BT either.

FTR, I've been running 100% on Shell V-Power since new.

I guess I will cross my fingers and hope it doesn't die all together before the 21st .. I'll take it easy.
    ~

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

youll be fine.. until may
    JB4LIFE

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by mazdaspeed6 Click here to enlarge
    youll be fine.. until may
    Hope so!

The minute I get my car back from this appointment, I will be installing a tune... I've been waiting all winter!
    ~

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Definitely sounds like a fuel pump, sorry man.
    Mine has gone out twice with the same exact symptoms.
    If you aren't experiencing violent/very long cranks then you should be fine until your next appointment. Just be very careful and stay on guard as it can go out randomly and in that scenario the car will just cut power and give you the "engine malfunction, reduced power" warning. It happened to my brother in his 335i while on the freeway and scared him to death. He now drives a prius Click here to enlarge
    Good luck!
    2009.5 AW E90 335i ZMP - SOLD
    2013 E92 M3 6MT ZCP - Space Grey/Fox Red Click here to enlarge

Want to Buy: 1977-89 Porsche 911 Turbo Coupe (930)

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by CookieCrisp Click here to enlarge
    Definitely sounds like a fuel pump, sorry man.
    Mine has gone out twice with the same exact symptoms.
    If you aren't experiencing violent/very long cranks then you should be fine until your next appointment. Just be very careful and stay on guard as it can go out randomly and in that scenario the car will just cut power and give you the "engine malfunction, reduced power" warning. It happened to my brother in his 335i while on the freeway and scared him to death. He now drives a prius Click here to enlarge
    Good luck!
    I've been expecting it to fail since day one of having this car, to be honest. I knew all about the N54's common fuel pump problems prior to purchase, but opted to take the bad with the good. I'm happy it's lasted one full year -- and hopefully this new recall will fix it for good!

Your brother's HPFP failure must have been quite dramatic to scare him into a Prius!

Cheers
    ~

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Well the car made it to it's service appointment Click here to enlarge The HPFP didn't tank on me... and didn't appear to get worse since my original post.

It's in today having 2 recalls done, an oil change and a brake flush (is it normal to have a brake flush after only one year / 18,000km??)
    ~

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by bigup Click here to enlarge
    I've been expecting it to fail since day one of having this car, to be honest. I knew all about the N54's common fuel pump problems prior to purchase, but opted to take the bad with the good. I'm happy it's lasted one full year -- and hopefully this new recall will fix it for good!

Your brother's HPFP failure must have been quite dramatic to scare him into a Prius!

Cheers
    I recently got my pump/software done, a week later the longer than usual cranks are back Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

FWIW for those on the fence... I never experienced any long cranks or significant idle misfires etc, but recently got the recall 446 pump & software. My FP logs are night and day better/consistent with the new pump.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2064 Post(s)

This sounds like a nightmare.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Got car back .. service advisor phoned me at 4pm and said DME update crashed, and I'd have to take a loaner for the weekend .. but when I arrived at the dealership, they told me they tried it again and it worked. Good customer service from Gallery BMW .. the courtesy shuttle driver was busy elsewhere in the city, but the dealership paid my $45 cab fare for me to pick up my car! I even told them I'd find my own way there, but they insisted I took a cab.

Since then, I've just done a 120km round trip to visit my wife's new retail store opening .. car doesn't really seem any different after a new fuel pump and programming .. other than the dash icon that appears when I hold down the DTC button .. now I get a cool looking car with skid marks Click here to enlarge Power delivery seems the same .. my only grumble is that the technician left grease marks on my hood and bumper.

Now to install my JB4 this weekend .. probably won't get around to it until Sunday .. Can't wait!!
    ~